#1 jumpingjimbo

jumpingjimbo

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hi there.

Long time lurker first time poster.

Are there any PGA Tour experts on here who can tell me if Ryan Ruffels is on track for a Tour record?

He is playing his 16th PGA Tour event this week, all with sponsor invitations. He has finsihed in the top 25 once and that was two years ago. He languishes well outside the world top 500 and cost Jason Day at least $100,000 last week with his inaccurate play.

It must be a record to be gifted so many starts and do almost nothing with them?

#2 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13608 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Hi there.

Are there any PGA Tour experts on here who can tell me if Ryan Ruffels is on track for a Tour record?

He is playing his 16th PGA Tour event this week, all with sponsor invitations. He has finsihed in the top 25 once and that was two years ago. He languishes well outside the world top 500 and cost Jason Day at least $100,000 last week with his inaccurate play.

It must be a record to be gifted so many starts and do almost nothing with them?

Welcome to ISG.

Drop your question to this area, Bruce knows all!  http://forums.iseekg...um/8-ask-bruce/

• Francie likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 jumpingjimbo

jumpingjimbo

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

He had millions again today. Would the sponsors get better value by inviting Harvey Weinstein instead?

#4 Tonk

Tonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2618 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

He beat you in an amateur event a while back? Jaded much?
  • Goldy and hack2489 like this

#5 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

He had millions again today. Would the sponsors get better value by inviting Harvey Weinstein instead?

Great call, i chuckled

#6 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3192 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hi there.

Sorry for not getting back earlier jumpingjimbo. You are right he has certainly been blessed with some great generosity by tournament sponsors and his very hardworking management company in Wasserman who are no doubt using the leverage of Jason Day to get him starts on occasions.

There is little doubting that his earlier appeal as such a brilliant amateur gained him starts soon after turning professional but as the gloss wears of it must be getting more difficult for his management team to convince tournament sponsors of his value.

Ruffels turned professional at the age of 17 and he has played well on occasions on the South American Tour but he has not yet been able to take full advantage of the starts he has earned on the big stage.

By my count there have been nine PGA Tour starts in the last 24 months. He is allowed seven per year although one or two of the events he has played have not been included in that category (Memorial for example).

His best finish in all of those starts has been 20th although in his first season he made the cut in four of the seven compared to the five cuts made by Jason Day in his first seven starts on invitation.

There is little doubting the potential Ruffels has but it might be that before long it will become harder for him to secure those invites.

Good luck to him if he does - I guess it is a judgement call by the tournaments as to how they best see an invite helping their event but there will be several looking for reciprocal support if and when Ruffels makes it to the big time.   

• Madam likes this

#7 jumpingjimbo

jumpingjimbo

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

Thanks bruce. Do you know when he's teeing it up again in America?

#8 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3192 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Not off the top of my head jumpingjimbo. I was talking to someone today who would have known but did not ask that question. If I find out will let your know. 

• Bluethunda likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users