MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Iron mock would be of 54.....

Nothing like brotherly love, especially twins.
  • GhettoGolfer, Madam and koiom K Frenzy like this

#64 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

ours is similar it takes the best 10 rounds, it has a current and a projected but not sure how the projected works, I assume that it's when it's rolled over next...
current is 4.4 and projected is 2.9

#65 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

I had a massive issue with ball striking and distance mainy due to playing too infrequently and using 20 year old clubs. This year I have rebuilt my swing, bought new clubs and bedded them in. Have gained 40m carry from my driver (now at 235-240m) and about 25m per iron (some of that is due to stonger iron lofts) but the main thing is my stike quality has increased massively.

My last round was at Newcastle and I hit 93% FIR (pulled my drive at the first then rock solid after that) and hit 56% GIR (with 2 on the fringe so in reality slightly better than that, this is up from about 35% with my old irons). This is probably good enough to play to low single figures but as the rest of my game has been improving my putting has been falling apart... Walked off with no birdies and +10.

So really what I am trying to say is I agree with Tango, the secret is from 100 yards in, my game outside 100 yards has improved massively but I'm not good enough inside 100 yards to take advantage. I calculated my strokes gained putting for the round and it was -7.6 which is terrible and I feel this is putting pressure on my short game as I know I need to chip it inside 3 feet to hole a putt (and even then it's not guaranteed at the moment).
I have changed my grip and stance and started 30 mins of putting every night to get that back in to shape before I start my journey towards a handicap (and potentially scratch).

FFS, don't count the putts off the greens as you have counted them as missed greens, all this is going to do is increase your 3 putts. 

Yeah, I have worked it out the most part. Analysing my putting:

- 36 putts + 2 from off the green

- 4x3 putts (4 out of my 5 putts from outside 20 feet resulted in a 3 putt). You could argue that approach play could improve if I put 5 outside of 20 feet but it was my first time playing the course and it was windy so my clubbing wasn't the best

- missed 5 putts from within 5 feet

- missed a further 3 from within 10 feet (none of which even looked like going in)

- nothing holed longer than 3 feet

I don't have stats for last year as I didn't play very much at all but what I do remember is chipping and putting saving me, but this year my best putting round has been 32 putts which is still not good enough. Thus the focus.

In terms of shots lost elsewhere:

- Drive on the first resulted in a hack out from behind a tree which was then compounded with a 3 putt for a double

- Approach to 18 was thinned (against the wind so I was trying to hit it low - just not that low) into the rough which I hacked into a bunker then out and 2 putted for a double

- 3 duffed chips onto the green but not as close as they should  have been so 2 putted from them (cost me a 1 bogey and 2 realistic birdie chances)

- 1 pulled 7i into a bunker (should have got up and down but missed a putt)

So outside of putting, 3 poor full shots and 3 poor chips. Back to your point most shots lost within 100 yards, or in my case within 40 yards. Putting is indeed king - back to putting practice...

Your putting sounds pretty crap at the moment so work on that.   :D . Putting isn't king, but it helps a lot or can really hurt you. If you are having that many 3 putts then would suggest spending 90% of your time working on putts 8 feet and in.

To really improve you really need to break down the shots inside a 100m/y to putting, chipping, pitching and wedge play. Focus on improving one at the time.

Over all it's a matter of not giving away shots instead of gaining shots, if that makes sense.

I don't have time to practice either so I try to make sure I don't make a mistake in this range. What I mean by this depending where the pin is on the green and what sort of lie I have, I will aim for the fat part of the green and ideally to an area where I will be it will be an uphill putt. Same thing with chips/pitches, if I have a straight forward chip I will be attacking the pin more, if you don't then 10-20 feet is fine as bogey won't kill my score. 

Also course management will help your short game. Not shortsiding yourself or hitting in a hazard, will do wonders for your game.

I play off 4 at the moment and I average around 30 putts, 40-45% GIR and 50% fairways. If I have a hope to get to scratch then my GIR Needs to improve to at least 55-60%. When I'm playing half decent, can hit 6 GIR and still shoot around 4-7 over. I don't consider that I have a great short game, as I'm good at playing the difficult shots, but I'm really solid at straight forwards shots. 

• Madam, snorkelguru and hack2489 like this

#66 Halfer5

Halfer5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

All makes sense & you are right I feel like I'm leaving lots of shots out there at the moment rather than looking to gain shots. Course management has been a struggle as I've not played the same course twice this year (which has its advantages) and it's not surprising that my 2 best scores have been on courses I have played before. Putting practice going well so will update after my next round...
  • hack2489 likes this

#67 Halfer5

Halfer5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

ok - so the good news is that a bit of a stroke change and 30 mins of putting every night has improved my performance. I played Stonecutters Ridge and hit 71% FIR, 61% GIR and had 31 putts... Walked off with 1 birdie and +3. All in holed all the putts I should have but still left some out there. I'd say that the next stage of practice is pitching as I had quite a few chances between 100 and 30 yards that I failed to put within 10 feet and so didn't really give myself a decent chance at the putt. I'll take the improvements though :)

• Madam, Weetbix and mrbluu like this

#68 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

ok - so the good news is that a bit of a stroke change and 30 mins of putting every night has improved my performance. I played Stonecutters Ridge and hit 71% FIR, 61% GIR and had 31 putts... Walked off with 1 birdie and +3. All in holed all the putts I should have but still left some out there. I'd say that the next stage of practice is pitching as I had quite a few chances between 100 and 30 yards that I failed to put within 10 feet and so didn't really give myself a decent chance at the putt. I'll take the improvements though :)

If you practice at a golf club 

The very best practice is up and downs chip and put 
chip and put 
chip and put 

Edited by PuttOvr, 10 May 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#69 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

Nice work flusha!!

If you practice at a golf club 

The very best practice is up and downs chip and put 
chip and put 
chip and put 

This would be good if you are just developing touch. It will be pretty **** if you are trying to work on your technique!!!

#70 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

Nice work flusha!!

This would be good if you are just developing touch. It will be pretty **** if you are trying to work on your technique!!!

Chip and putt 
chip and putt ...............

#71 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Chip and putt 
chip and putt ...............

Sounds like a cliche you read somewhere....keep up the good work!!!

• PuttOvr likes this

#72 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

3 rounds in low 80s after new clubs pushed the hcap to 4 but a 73 and 77 should get close to bringing it back to 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users