22 replies to this topic

#16 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Rogolf, I have thinking along the same lines. Whether the Captain at my Club will think similarly is a moot point. Our current Captain is unpredictable. He is talking about not continuing in the job. He is a very hard worker, and dedicated so he would be missed.
The video posted above is an idealised situation I think. The use of the Rule in the situation not “dodgy”. However it is apparently generous to the player, in my opinion. As a fellow-competitor I would be thinking If that player had played a Provisional Ball what would be his chances of getting a lie on the fairway with a clear shot ahead?
What is of more concern is how generous players will be to themselves and other members of the group in the estimating where a Ball might be lost or OOB.
A great opportunity for those carrying the cheating gene.
It has great potential for arguments and pain for Match Committees.
The problems would vary greatly from course to course. Courses with many trees are in mind.
Some will imagine a parting of the branches as if a miracle. Imagined deflections will tend to be kind to the competitor.
As for Match Play!?

#17 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38711 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

5 minutes.

Lock thread.

You're welcome.
  • MaxxOn likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#18 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

5 minutes.

Lock thread.

You're welcome.

Thank you. 

In this five minutes, do I include disparaging the committee for using the wrong font on the notice board, oneupmenship over which decision to refer to, and nanosecond resolution analysis on which stopwatch app is more accurate, or is there a separate five minutes for that?

Also it's changing to three minutes. 

• Goldy, MaxxOn and hack2489 like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#19 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24102 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Golf Australia have stated it will not be utilised in elite amateur events.

That is consistent with my post above.

I was just citing the authority for your statement, to satisfy AAA.

Your words, no qualification "Available for ordinary Club play not elite amateur events. "

But is Golf Australia the only organisation (in Australia) that runs elite amateur events?

"Tours won’t be using it either." 

Which tours have announced that?

Golf Australia (GA) is the head honcho of all golf in Aust. The PGA of Aust also come under GA's auspices.

They take our money and give it to pros.

If you join any club in Aus and get a golflink handicap, a good whack of your membership fee goes to GA.  No choice in the matter. No alternative organisation.  All state and regional leagues/unions/whatever are subordinate to GA.

So, if GA say the LR won't be used for elite amateur events, you can bet your bottom dollar that will be the case, until they change their minds.

#20 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24102 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

Will the LR have a 'blanket' application to all golf in Aus unless declared 'not applicable' to particular events as a CoC?

Will it be up to clubs to implement the LR?

What about pennant?  Will the various regional bodies consider that 'elite' and prevent use of the LR?

#21 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

I am sure Snappy, Goldy and maybe OB will not use artificial methods of timing.
I expect they will be practising counting back from 180 for the next several months till they have it perfect.

#22 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38711 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

I really don't care.

Unlike others here that write an essay on a pretty basic rule.
  • Snappy McSnapperton and MaxxOn like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#23 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

Will the LR have a 'blanket' application to all golf in Aus unless declared 'not applicable' to particular events as a CoC?

Will it be up to clubs to implement the LR?

What about pennant?  Will the various regional bodies consider that 'elite' and prevent use of the LR?

The Clubs will need to implement this as a Local Rule. It is called a Model Local Rule. It does not show in the Proof Copy of the New Rules for 2019.
I expect regional associations will not allow the Local Rulefor pennants. They would have the authority to do that based on my experience. They might authorise it for the new inter club pennants for handicaps from 37 to 54.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users