22 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

I don’t know anybody that times a Ball search in their group. Rules officials do when the occasion seems right.
5 minutes is really a long time and people tend to give others a bit of hurry up. You know “looks like a goner, Dave” or something less subtle. Or “we had better call the next group through”.
From next January search time reduces to three minutes. I think this increases the pressure on markers and players to get the 3 minutes max search right.
I don’t want to use the stopwatch I have on a lanyard . Good for refereeing but not as a player.
My phone is not smart enough to do a voice command on a timer. But that seems a good direction.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23726 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Or you could just guess at a reasonable amount of time and move on when finding it seems unlikely.

Unless it's match play.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

I think plenty will do extra long 3 minutes. It is not fair to the rest of the field, including others in the group. They are selfish.
It might be an enterprising inventor will come up with a cheap gadget that clips on a golf bag or something that has one real purpose. Time 3 minutes. Press one prominent button. It will not contain sand.

#4 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12740 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

Or you could just guess at a reasonable amount of time and move on when finding it seems unlikely.

Unless it's match play.

Near enough is close enough.

Because I doubt your length of reasonable time will vary looking for some other chopper's ball third hole of any random day compared to you looking for your ball on the 72nd hole of club champs while you're in contention.
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

Unless it's match play.

So you look after yourself but not the rest of the field.
That is crook.
You need the guts to stop blokes in your group getting away with cheating. Whether it is exceeding the search time for a lost ball or allowing them to use the Water Hazard Rule when there is not reasonable evidence [KVC) that their Ball is in/lost in the WH.

#6 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

If I tell you to drop it there because that’s wher I believe that the ball did enter a hazard, and you don’t, then I will play on and leave you the fcuk behind.

Trouble is, that I actually feel bad if I think I am holding the groups behind up.
  • VLAD likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#7 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

I think the rules officials missed an opportunity to solve the problem. They should have left it at 5mins but made it the accumulated total per round.

That way, choppers who lose a lot of balls can only inflict pain on the whole field by 5mins total, not as the new rule stands, 3mins everytime they don't watch where their ball lands. I've seen blokes searching on almost every hole due to someone in their group not watching where their ball lands.

In the alternative, or even with the above idea, there should be a 2 shot penalty for everyone in the group if the time limited is exceeded. That would make everyone hurry the f.uk up and remove any tension when someone pulls out a stopwatch, timer, phone, whatever to measure the time.

#8 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

I think the rules officials missed an opportunity to solve the problem. They should have left it at 5mins but made it the accumulated total per round.
That way, choppers who lose a lot of balls can only inflict pain on the whole field by 5mins total, not as the new rule stands, 3mins everytime they don't watch where their ball lands. I've seen blokes searching on almost every hole due to someone in their group not watching where their ball lands.
In the alternative, or even with the above idea, there should be a 2 shot penalty for everyone in the group if the time limited is exceeded. That would make everyone hurry the f.uk up and remove any tension when someone pulls out a stopwatch, timer, phone, whatever to measure the time.

The Captain needs to be active dealing with problem players. Unfortunately Captains often hang back, not using their authority.
There is new Local Rule available next year to supplement the 3 minute search. Available for ordinary Club play not elite amateur events. Tours won’t be using it either. I’ll get the reference and post it. Maybe somebody else will do that before I can get to it.

#9 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

The New LR mentioned above

http://www.usga.org/...d-distance.html

• Madam likes this

#10 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Available for ordinary Club play not elite amateur events. 

It's available for any committee to use.

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23726 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:14 PM

Golf Australia have stated it will not be utilised in elite amateur events.

#12 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

Golf Australia have stated it will not be utilised in elite amateur events.

That is consistent with my post above.

#13 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3053 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

That is consistent with my post above.

Your words, no qualification "Available for ordinary Club play not elite amateur events. "

But is Golf Australia the only organisation (in Australia) that runs elite amateur events?

"Tours won’t be using it either." 

Which tours have announced that?

Edited by AAA, 30 April 2018 - 10:22 PM.

#14 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:24 AM

Your words, no qualification "Available for ordinary Club play not elite amateur events. "

But is Golf Australia the only organisation (in Australia) that runs elite amateur events?

"Tours won’t be using it either." 

Which tours have announced that?

Okay point taken.
No announcement by a Pro Tour....anything is possible.
GA is the premium body in OZ. State Associations are in the fold. The chance of one doing something contrary would be minuscule.

#15 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Just another point in the continuum, I will not be recommending adoption of this local Rule at our club for anything but recreational/social play - who usually play by their own rules anyways.  It will not be used for any opens, amateurs, or club championship level events at our club.  Imo, the ruling bodies should not have made any recommendation for its use ("professional and elite amateur events" should never have been included in the preface to the Local Rule).  We (Committees) can make up our own minds without such suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users