Photo

Can You Get A Handicap Without Joining A Golf Club?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Probably a stupid question to most of you but had a look online and saw you can get a GA handicap online for 96 dollars.

Social golf Australia. Any know if this is legit?

Also assuming I can get the GA handicap, how hard is it to enter competitions in local clubs in my area ( Sydney)

How do you know what competitions are on where ?

I wouldn't be at the stage to win anything but it would be good for me to play under pressure and see if I can lower my handicap.

Things are finally starting to click, i had two birdys this morning on two par fives, delighted!

• Madam and Goldy like this

#2 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14593 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

Probably a stupid question to most of you but had a look online and saw you can get a GA handicap online for 96 dollars.

Also assuming I can get the GA handicap, how hard is it to enter competitions in local clubs in my area ( Sydney)

I wouldn't be at the stage to win anything but it would be good for me to play under pressure and see if I can lower my handicap.

Things are finally starting to click, i had two birdys this morning on two par fives, delighted!

Paddy

there are several "Virtual clubs" you can join, SGA is one of them and is legit. Howlong GC is another.

Many clubs though in metro areas have been cracking down on these members actually playing in their competitions or will charge you a larger gf/comp fee to play in their event.

Some of our Sydneysiders can elaborate more or read this thread

http://forums.iseekg...-2#entry1596849

• Paddywest likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 snorkelguru

snorkelguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hi paddy,

I’m joined the SGA membership when I moved from Melbourne to Sydney as I didn’t know which club I was going to join. It’s worked well for me as my golf days have been severely reduced for the past year or so. Definitely legit for maintaining a handicap. They also do an SGA tour organising golf days at various different golf courses for their members although I haven’t been to one yet. Some clubs do frown upon the SGA membership, but SGA are upfront about it and have a list on their website of clubs (mostly Sydney)that they recommend you do not try to get on their Comp days. https://www.socialgo...18&pageID=18322
  • Paddywest likes this

http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901961

2015 OOM2 Settlers Run B Grade Long Drive Winner

2015 ISG 2Bbb NAGA (with littleman)

2016 OOM2 Gardiners Run A Grade Long Drive Winner

2016 OOM2 Gardiners Run A Grade NTP 

#4 snorkelguru

snorkelguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:58 AM

There are other clubs like howlong, barden ridge and wisemans ferry, Shellharbour which offer distance membership. But again some clubs check that you have played x number of rounds at your home club. I haven’t had any issues getting on any clubs so far with my SGA membership.
  • Paddywest likes this

#5 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

In a nutshell, yes it's legit.

To give you some context a lot of clubs in Sydney allow visitors in their open comps at discounted rates compared to their social golf rates eg. Social round = $50, Comp round = $30 including comp fee. The argument presumably is that these people are already paying for a membership at a club somewhere so the comp rates are discounted.

With the introduction of "virtual" golf clubs a few years back players could get a handicap for next to nothing, and golf clubs started losing out on proper membership fees or (full) green fee charges. The counter argument is that it brings in revenue that would otherwise not exist if players opted out of golf completely.

Some clubs responded by banning virtual clubs from their comps or charging higher fees for such members, but it's fairly inconsistent so you'll need to check with the clubs about their policy on a case by case basis.

A fairly comprehensive list of Sydney open comps is here:

http://forums.iseekg...ions-in-sydney/

• GhettoGolfer, Madam and Paddywest like this

#6 Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head

Non-Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1271 posts
  • LocationOff the back foot

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi paddy,

I’m joined the SGA membership when I moved from Melbourne to Sydney as I didn’t know which club I was going to join. It’s worked well for me as my golf days have been severely reduced for the past year or so. Definitely legit for maintaining a handicap. They also do an SGA tour organising golf days at various different golf courses for their members although I haven’t been to one yet. Some clubs do frown upon the SGA membership, but SGA are upfront about it and have a list on their website of clubs (mostly Sydney)that they recommend you do not try to get on their Comp days. https://www.socialgo...18&pageID=18322

Interesting to note that 50% of the 'NO' courses are in MHO pretentious would bees. Good Luck to their long term prospects.

• Talart and Paddywest like this

Country golfer on a City course.

I'm good, but no-one seems to care.

Now I find out a French au-pair is NOT a breed of goat!

French Doctors though? not on Nauru!

Is it really your ABC?

#7 snorkelguru

snorkelguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

In a nutshell, yes it's legit.

To give you some context a lot of clubs in Sydney allow visitors in their open comps at discounted rates compared to their social golf rates eg. Social round = $50, Comp round = $30 including comp fee. The argument presumably is that these people are already paying for a membership at a club somewhere so the comp rates are discounted.

With the introduction of "virtual" golf clubs a few years back players could get a handicap for next to nothing, and golf clubs started losing out on proper membership fees or (full) green fee charges. The counter argument is that it brings in revenue that would otherwise not exist if players opted out of golf completely.

Some clubs responded by banning virtual clubs from their comps or charging higher fees for such members, but it's fairly inconsistent so you'll need to check with the clubs about their policy on a case by case basis.

A fairly comprehensive list of Sydney open comps is here:

http://forums.iseekg...ions-in-sydney/

I agree with the context a bit as the NSW comp system is quite different to the VIC system, but they are loosing out on potential revenue.

Interesting to note that 50% of the 'NO' courses are in MHO pretentious would bees. Good Luck to their long term prospects.

Ha yep. There are probably a couple of courses on that list that i would like to play on, but plenty of other courses to get on.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24170 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

Paddy, not all clubs charge an arm and a leg for playing membership.

Do you particularly want to play at courses all over the place or would you be happy to play mostly at somewhere local?

Do local public courses have club membership available?

Get your priorities right then narrow down the options to those that really suit you.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#9 okitoki

okitoki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

There are some clubs in Perth that allows you to join at a cheaper casual price that lets you play a certain number of games per year and also provides GA handicap.  Maybe thats also available in your area?

That should give you some flexibility to play in different club instead of locking you to one club?

• Madam likes this

#10 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14120 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

What part of Sydney Paddy??

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#11 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

Hi paddy,

Excellent info there Snorkel, thank you very much mate

#12 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

Paddy, not all clubs charge an arm and a leg for playing membership.

Do you particularly want to play at courses all over the place or would you be happy to play mostly at somewhere local?

Do local public courses have club membership available?

Get your priorities right then narrow down the options to those that really suit you.

Hi mate, I'm living in Epping and closest course is Ryde which has public golf.

With the traffic in Sydney i'd just like to stay local however weekends i dont mind driving.

Unfortunately the courses close to me that I could use lets say before work have joining fees along with the yearly fee so Ryde would be up on 3K.

Id probably only be able to play twice a week. Value for money wise its hard to fork out that cash.

• hack2489 likes this

#13 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

What part of Sydney Paddy??

Hey bud,

I'm living in Epping, so play mostly Ryde, chatswood the odd time.

Are you based in Sydney?

#14 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:12 PM

If you're playing twice a week you're getting to get better value by joining a club than playing social green fees everytime you play

Also keep in mind that open comps are relatively hard to come by on weekends as they are peak time for members

#15 Paddywest

Paddywest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

If you're playing twice a week you're getting to get better value by joining a club than playing social green fees everytime you play

Also keep in mind that open comps are relatively hard to come by on weekends as they are peak time for members

Normally its once a week, its only the odd time if i can get 9 holes in midweek at dawn. Saying all that if i actually joined i'm sure id have an hour here and there I could get a few holes in

• hack2489 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users