#1 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

There is a problem with entering 9-hole scores into Golflink.

Irrespective of the number of holes to be played in a competition, or the number of holes actually played, the player's Golflink handicap, adjusted for slope, is recorded on the scorecard.

However, when entering a 9-hole score into golflink, the 'played off' handicap needs to reflect the handicap allowance for the actual holes played.  For the moment, let's just leave out the complication that playing other than 9 holes may still qualify as a 9-hole score (I think it's something like 8 to 15 holes, adjusted to a 9 hole score).

For example, a player with a playing handicap of 20 plays a 9-hole stableford event. "20" is recorded on the scorecard as his handicap.  Recording the points on the card is straightforward and there is no need to add the actual strokes taken.  But when it's entered into golflink, the stroke allowance ("played off") as applicable to the actual holes played is recorded, and it's not necessarily 10.  If he played the front or back nine and the stroke index is evenly split between the two halves, it would be 10.  But if the index is not even, his handicap might be something like 8 or 12 for those holes played.

If it was a stroke event, the actual strokes are totalled and the handicap deducted is as per allowed by the stroke index and may be other than 10.

What a pain that is for the poor handicapper !!!!!!  Each scorecard would need to be carefully checked to determine what is to be entered.  If an auto-score system is in place, one would hope that the software program does it all automatically.

#2 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

I think it works differently. The 9 hole score is entered for each hole. Each nine holes of a particular course, say the blue Course at Wood Woop has been officially scratch and slope rated.
The handicap on the card is useful to note a nett score on the day and maybegetting a result in the chook run.
Next time the player plays Woop Woop or somewhere else the nine holes performance on the course concerned will be assessed on individual entered scores for each hole.
The system is not as good as the standard 18 holes in a normal competition field but it is a helpful way of doing something with 9 Hole Competitions from a Handicapping viewpoint.
If you have any doubts check Golf Australia’s website. There is a comprehensive discussion there I recall.

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

I think it works differently. The 9 hole score is entered for each hole. Each nine holes of a particular course, say the blue Course at Wood Woop has been officially scratch and slope rated.
The handicap on the card is useful to note a nett score on the day and maybegetting a result in the chook run.
Next time the player plays Woop Woop or somewhere else the nine holes performance on the course concerned will be assessed on individual entered scores for each hole.
The system is not as good as the standard 18 holes in a normal competition field but it is a helpful way of doing something with 9 Hole Competitions from a Handicapping viewpoint.
If you have any doubts check Golf Australia’s website. There is a comprehensive discussion there I recall.

There is no provision in the golflink web interface for hole by hole scores to be entered, just the vital totals.

Hole by hole scores are the realm of advanced programs such as miclub, slice, etc.

So, each card has to be individually assessed to determine what gets entered to golflink. The powers-that-be make it sound simple, but it isn't.

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:45 PM

I think direct contact with Golf Link might work until you upgrade (if ever?). You could phone a contact there. Any try it see what happens.

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I think direct contact with Golf Link might work until you upgrade (if ever?). You could phone a contact there. Any try it see what happens.

Golf Australia is helpful as are State Associations. Try State first. The Administration wants 9 holes to work.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

Already done. That's where I got the info.

One of our members has taken up playing 9 hole events with a group of oldies. Thinking he was doing the right thing, he sent the cards to the club handicapper for input to golflink. When golflink combined two of them (totalling 36 points) into an 18-hole entry, the 'played to' came out as 40 (the max), instead of the 22 expected. I couldn't find any worthwhile info about it on the GL web site, so I contacted them. They provided the info I've reported above.

I thought it was worthwhile reporting this on the forum so that others might become aware of the complications.

#7 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like a GolfLink error. Golf Australia now owns GolfLink. I think it would be helpful in resolving such nonsense.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

I agree that it's nonsense.
Just using half the daily handicap would be near enough, considering all the other wildcards in the system.

At most, a player who only does 9-holers might have their handicap wrong by one stroke. Who cares?

A player who always stops before getting tired on the other nine will always have a biased handicap anyway.

#9 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12906 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

Works fine for me.
  • Fatprick likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#10 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

Complications and difficulties aside, it seems this would be a perfect mechanism for anyone wanting to manipulate their handicap for an upcoming event or competition.

Have you considered this, Mouldy?

#11 rockatansky

rockatansky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2012 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

I input at least three 9 hole comps each week...Golflink works like a peach every time.

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

I input at least three 9 hole comps each week...Golflink works like a peach every time.

I'm sure it does, provided you know to record the 'played off' only as applicable to the holes played (not necessarily half the player's handicap).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users