9 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1775 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

Recently I wrote a piece on the subject addressed to The Club Captain and Women's Captain.

I am pretty certain the  Women's Captain will send this to the women members via a regular newsletter. 

What the Club Captain might do with it I have no idea. 

My experience at my Club is women take the Rules quite seriously and try to do the right thing. They seem willing to learn. 

I hope it may help some of the people who face the difficulties of managing Rules on courses which are far from pristine.  

It runs to several paragraphs. Be ready.  There as more than a question some dispute was on. 

"I am writing this because of a question I was asked. Preferred Lies are not always straightforward. 

When you use the Specimen Local Rule correctly in a truncated manner the Local Rule reads like this

“ Preferred lies (distance) on Close-Mown Areas, Through the Green, refer Specimen Local Rule Appendix 1-3b”

Unfortunately so many players can’t understand ‘Closely-Mown Areas, Through the Green” means essentially fairways. Many players start preferring the ball in the rough as well as fairways, they get  fixated on “Through the Green”. 

Because of this it became common practice here to simply state “Preferred Lies 30 centimetres on Closely-Mown Areas”.

The Note in the Specimen Local Rule reads “ ‘ Closely-Mown area’ means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.” 

The target area is fairways.

In a perfect world every fairway is mowed with good definition of the fairway by the mowers. The fairways are generally level and the turf height is quite consistent

In the real world the definition of fairway/rough is variable and the turf is somewhat uneven on the fairways due to humps and hollows. The turf can easily be multiple times the set blades height. 

The intention of the Rule is to apply to all the fairway. If your ball happens to be in a patch of grass that is much longer than the mower blades are set, on the fairway, it is reasonable that a Preferred Lie applies.

This would apply to anywhere on the fairway. It is easy to see this on the main areas of the fairways but not so easy on the fairway edge.

It is then up to the player to do the “right thing” assessing the mowing line and decide honestly where the mowing line is in relation to the lie of his Ball.

Fairway height or less is not an absolute as pointed out above. Humps and hollows occur at the edge of the rough as well as in the main fairway areas."

Edited by languid, 17 April 2018 - 01:55 PM.

• Madam and rogolf like this

#2 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19392 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

What about in summer ..... when the rough may actually have shorter grass than the fairway?

Given that time of year "cut to fairway height or less" could mean practically anywhere on the course, as rough areas are usually left to fend for themselves in terms of irrigation, and so, may grow less than the manicured fairway.

Just a thought ..... :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 17 April 2018 - 03:29 PM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1775 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

The committee just has to find a way to deal with this. Communication of intent and doing something to define where the fairway stops and the rough starts. A brown panted line has been used at some places.
Commonly Committees take the easy way out in such situations and extend PL’s to Through The Green.
That’s life on some country courses.
My course has a good amount of grass but a lot of poor areas where sprinklers can’t reach and there are soil problems. It is possible to get a reasonable line of definition between rough and fairway.

#4 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:42 PM

A brown panted line has been used at some places.

There'd be a pretty hefty vindaloo bill to mark out a whole course. 

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#5 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

What about in summer ..... when the rough may actually have shorter grass than the fairway?

Given that time of year "cut to fairway height or less" could mean practically anywhere on the course, as rough areas are usually left to fend for themselves in terms of irrigation, and so, may grow less than the manicured fairway.

Just a thought ..... :)

The local Rule says "closely-mown" inferring that the grass has been cut.  Later in the Rule is says the grass is cut to fairway height or less. 

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23539 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

The local Rule says "closely-mown" inferring that the grass has been cut.  Later in the Rule is says the grass is cut to fairway height or less.

Even the rough was cut at some point in time. There is nothing in the definitions to say when cut grass becomes un-cut grass.

At some courses I've played, there is no variance between fairway and rough. Either it is all closely mown, or none of it is, depending on your viewpoint.

#7 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8494 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

As mentioned elsewhere in the rules section we have no closely mown sections of fairway to refer to.... however all of our fairways are tree lined and that is the guide to as to if you are on the fairway or not

VTTP 006

Miracle

#8 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11861 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

As mentioned elsewhere in the rules section we have no closely mown sections of fairway to refer to.... however all of our fairways are tree lined and that is the guide to as to if you are on the fairway or not

You have nothing to mow let alone closely mow.

• Patrick Reed likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#9 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8494 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

You have nothing to mow let alone closely mow.

Pfft
Mowed the surrounds of 2 greens today...
Still no effing rain

VTTP 006

Miracle

#10 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11861 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Pfft
Mowed the surrounds of 2 greens today...
Still no effing rain

That took 5 minutes. What did you do with the rest of the day?

.. Oh and Too much bloody rain here, you are welcome too it.

Check PMs

• Patrick Reed likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users