21 replies to this topic

#16 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

Or he could just have been saving the ball for his mate and Dave plays it as entering the hazard, takes his drop, plays on, and says thanks to Ralph for saving his ball from drowning?

When Ralph stops the ball for his mate, Ralph it is most likely because he is saving Dave’s ball from being possibly lost or irretrievable from the Hazard.
That is a real situation. I have seen it happen. It was a long time ago, not at my current Course. At the other Club a par 5 has a typical third stroke over a dam from usually a downhill lie. There is a bunker running the full length of the green, behind the green.
As you would expect play from the bunker has a good fear factor and if the bunker shot is caught thin the dam will be a likely place for the Ball to finish.
At that time I was not familiar with the Rules, had no idea what might apply . I think the bloke whose ball was stopped thanked his mate and wiped the hole.
My new course does not have a bunker behind but the scenario I put in the original post is similar except for the bunker. It is a par 3.

#17 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

Agree Languid - totally unlikely that anyone was trying to cheat and that Dave wouldn’t just play it like the ball went in the water like it was going to
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#18 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Wtf is wrong with you. That's the most preposterous thing ever posted in the rules forum.

Your sounding fired up ghetto?

You gave the new bloke in the other thread a spray and now poor old Weeti copes it.

About time you had a trip in your camper van? Relaxing trip in the country, away from the shire golf and crap weather, perhaps?

#19 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:38 PM

Or he could just have been saving the ball for his mate and Dave plays it as entering the hazard, takes his drop, plays on, and says thanks to Ralph for saving his ball from drowning?

And, hopefully Dave bought the first shout at the 19th too.
  • Weetbix likes this

#20 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9991 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

Your sounding fired up ghetto?

You gave the new bloke in the other thread a spray and now poor old Weeti copes it.

About time you had a trip in your camper van? Relaxing trip in the country, away from the shire golf and crap weather, perhaps?

That was my tongue planted firmly in Weeti's butt-cheek Hack lol.

Brownman isn't a new guy and is quite prone to making cryptic and passive aggressive posts. He has been lurking around here for close to 7 or 8 years.
  • hack2489 likes this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#21 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12906 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Brownman is an acronym for turd with eyes.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#22 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I asked a knowledgeable Rules person a question along the lines of the reflexive , instictive action of stopping a Ball in motion.

Here is the essence of the scenario I put.

Preamble...the intent can be quite obvious..
“ what is not clear to me is the situation where stopping the ball is more reflex perhaps barely 2 seconds, the outside agency sticking out his foot to stop a ball going into a water hazard, for example. I think there is intention even though there is little thought”

The response is maybe reflexive is less than 2 seconds but be that as it may..
“ the Committee in charge of the competition would need to examine all the facts and make a decision. Decision 14/1.5 notes any doubt regarding the player’s intent must be resolved against the player.”
It is in a different area of the Rules but it deals with intent.
I think my knowledgeable friend has nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users