• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13302 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

Not acceptable at any time, but per my point above there's places where there's only so much you can do. 

It's not a public park but a private members golf club where they have the ability to do something. It says a lot about the poor management values that they are condoning such behavior. 

Clubs are struggling for new members, Oatlands included. This doesnt feel welcoming on their behalf and part of the problem, and potentially now lost 3 new ones!!

• Joe79 and madness like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#17 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Thought I would share a very unpleasant experience at Oatlands Golf Club and the completely unacceptable response from the GM & Board...

I was playing with 2 guests and a 4th player in the group who was another member. The member lost his phone on the course (after taking personal calls during the comp) and went on to accuse all 3 playing partners of theft. He insisted on searching bags and pockets, questioned everyone's integrity, and threatened to call police before becoming physically aggressive. He also made an official report to club staff that our group had stolen his phone.

The phone was handed in at the end of the day by a group behind who found it on the course - despite this the member refused to apologise and the club declined to take disciplinary action against him despite receiving complaints about his behavior from all 3 of us in the group.

Ridiculous that a private club that charges over $3k in annual subs believes this behavior is acceptable. 

Did you tell him to get farked when he tried to search your gear? He'd have known in no uncertain terms with me that his accusation is not tolerated, let alone, going near my gear to search for his phone.

The more important aspect is, did he buy everyone a round of drinks for using his phone on the course? If not, that's another reason he needs a kick in the nuts.

They're not charging you $3k...it's the bloke that caused the problem and pays the $3k you should take issue with.

I understand your angst...but really, I'm thinking the issue is more with the tool that created the problem, rather than the club's reaction to it.

Yeah. Nah. Club has to set standards and pull up member for shite behaviour.

A few months ago a list of "behavioural standards" appeared on our notice boards with details of the corresponding consequence for that behaviour (warning, suspension etc).  It covers verbal abuse of other players and staff amongst other things.  I understand it was prompted by an incident where someone lost their **** with a staff member.  I think most clubs should have a similar sort of regime in place if they want to demonstrate that the way that people treat each other is an important value.

Bingo. 100% agree, clubs need to take responsibility for the 'members'.

Not acceptable at any time, but per my point above there's places where there's only so much you can do. 

It's not a public park but a private members golf club where they have the ability to do something. It says a lot about the poor management values that they are condoning such behavior. 

Exactly, the club is lacking good leadership.

Clubs are struggling for new members, Oatlands included. This doesnt feel welcoming on their behalf and part of the problem, and potentially now lost 3 new ones!!

Exactly, this is what the leadership of the club does not understand. By letting this type of behaviour go unchecked, they are essentially condoning it and with that will breed an element of their membership that thinks they can do whatever they want... from there, its a downward spiral.

EDIT - note my new economical use of post count format in action. More words per post not less. :rolleyes:

Edited by hack2489, 12 April 2018 - 12:52 PM.

• Monty85 and madness like this

#18 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37703 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

Did you tell him to get farked when he tried to search your gear? He'd have known in no uncertain terms with me that his accusation is not tolerated, let alone, going near my gear to search for his phone.

The more important aspect is, did he buy everyone a round of drinks for using his phone on the course? If not, that's another reason he needs a kick in the nuts.

Exactly, this is what the leadership of the club does not understand. By letting this type of behaviour go unchecked, they are essentially condoning it and with that will breed an element of their membership that thinks they can do whatever they want... from there, its a downward spiral.

EDIT - note my new economical use of post count format in action. More words per post not less. :rolleyes:

I agree with you.

I think the part where he basically slags the club for the totally unacceptable behaviour of one of it's members is the bit that I struggle with. Yes - they should have taken action against him...and let's be honest, whilst they've let our friend know that they won't be taking it any further, we don't know that they haven't for certain.

But my point is that I think the post seems to be more critical of the lack of action from the club, rather than the cause of the problem, being douchebag member #1. I'm with you Hack...he goes to search through my bag, he's left in no doubt that that ain't gonna happen.

• hack2489 likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#19 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13302 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

This was easily 5 posts!

• Patrick Reed and Fatprick like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#20 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

I sit on the board at the moment and get these things come in from time to time.  We would have definitely had a disciplinary hearing over this one.  Surprised Oatlands told you they weren't doing anything.  The decisions are usually confidential. They could have just said it has been referred to the board and left it at that. 

• Madam, Goldy, Fatprick and 1 other like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#21 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2291 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

You've had several opportunities during the whole fiasco, either on course or afterwards to have dealt with his unacceptable behavior. You could've collectively walked away and excluded him from your group. If you'd have taken a firm stand from the start he might not have continued with the accusations. Once it got to the aggressive and physical stage maybe you should have openly defended yourselves, 3 versus 1 ? Because you acted in a sensible manner and followed the correct or normal procedure I would have expected the club to have at least sanctioned him in some type of disciplinary hearing. Could be time to move to another club with your two friends and vote with your feet ? The next AGM would be a great place to bring this matter to the attention of the membership in an open forum discussion ?
Jon...
  • ozdevil and Goldy like this

#22 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11861 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

A few months ago a list of "behavioural standards" appeared on our notice boards with details of the corresponding consequence for that behaviour (warning, suspension etc).  It covers verbal abuse of other players and staff amongst other things.  I understand it was prompted by an incident where someone lost their **** with a staff member.  I think most clubs should have a similar sort of regime in place if they want to demonstrate that the way that people treat each other is an important value.

A couple of years ago my club did the same exact thing. as a result of someone being abused by a member. I was Captain of the club at the time.and had submitted a letter of complaint about this member abusing me on several occasions.. The answer from the board. There is nothing more we can do about this member at the moment. The reason the Standards notice was posted was because I resigned through lack of action by the board.. Too many clubs seem to be unprepared to deal with problem members. Not sure why because these characters drive possible new members away.

• madness likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#23 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8850 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:39 PM

Some where in the Oatland club and in all golf  club constitutions, there should be a section on how the club has to deal with grievances against members and the procedure to follow to resolve the grievance.

Ask for a copy of the constitution, read it and see if the committee is being consistent in their approach to handling this grievance matter.

Edited by Can Break 80, 12 April 2018 - 10:41 PM.

• pom, Madam and Schmuck like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#24 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13779 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

A similar situation (although not to do with a mobile phone) occurred at my home club just recently whereby a member became verbally and physically aggressive toward a playing partner which was deemed by the board to be totally unwarranted.  The accused member was issued with a warning for the verbal abuse, closely followed by a 3 month suspension for the physical attack.  Aforementioned member has also received a notice that any future occurrences of similar behaviour within the next 12 mths will see his membership rescinded.

The fact that Oatlands GC took no action at all tells a lot about the board and possibly what the particular member has over the board or his financial participation with the club?  If the previous is out of line, then the board or some of them at least need to have good look at themselves or maybe just not be there at next election.  I am a tad confused as to whether Falcs2 is a member there or not.  If he is, start lobbying now.  If not, oh well, too bad, so sad.   Not much you can do about it as an outsider except boycott the club and tell as many as you can to do the same.  I personally do not rate the course.

• Schmuck and mrbluu like this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#25 Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17220 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

They
Must be reading this thread, there’s an advert for the course in top right of screen
  • pt73, Commish, Madam and 1 other like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#26 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

They
Must be reading this thread, there’s an advert for the course in top right of screen

I think their marketing team need to lift their game as there was nothing in the ad about the complimentary WWF matches.

• pt73, Patrick Reed, Schmuck and 1 other like this

#27 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Had a similarly overly-aggression grub at our Club about ten years back. He had been the subject of several complaints, initially receiving warning letters from the Board, then a 'stern' talking to by a real wimp of a Captain.

Eventually, his continued misconduct resulted in a final warning. Unfortunately for him, he then played in my group, accused me of being a 'ferkin cheating count', and was finally rissoled from the Club under the 'conduct unbecoming of a Member' provision in our constitution after my letter hit the boardroom table.

Must say though, I don't think our current bunch of 'everybody's got rights' nutless Board Members would have the cajones to do anything. Too worried about litigation.......which seems to be the way of our world today, and more particularly it seems at Oatlands. 

Got to be better options than there anyway!

• pom likes this

#28 Fatprick

Fatprick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19371 posts
  • Location.

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

'conduct unbecoming of a Member'

The old unbecoming. Also a good excuse for karnts to abuse their power.

#29 Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17220 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

I think their marketing team need to lift their game as there was nothing in the ad about the complimentary WWF matches.

Or their ‘leave your phone in the proshop’ policy
  • madness likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#30 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

The old unbecoming. Also a good excuse for karnts to abuse their power.

Been on the receiving end have you? 

• Patrick Reed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users