• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

Thought I would share a very unpleasant experience at Oatlands Golf Club and the completely unacceptable response from the GM & Board...

I was playing with 2 guests and a 4th player in the group who was another member. The member lost his phone on the course (after taking personal calls during the comp) and went on to accuse all 3 playing partners of theft. He insisted on searching bags and pockets, questioned everyone's integrity, and threatened to call police before becoming physically aggressive. He also made an official report to club staff that our group had stolen his phone.

The phone was handed in at the end of the day by a group behind who found it on the course - despite this the member refused to apologise and the club declined to take disciplinary action against him despite receiving complaints about his behavior from all 3 of us in the group.

Ridiculous that a private club that charges over $3k in annual subs believes this behavior is acceptable. 

• Bluethunda likes this

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38871 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:19 PM

They're not charging you $3k...it's the bloke that caused the problem and pays the $3k you should take issue with.

I understand your angst...but really, I'm thinking the issue is more with the tool that created the problem, rather than the club's reaction to it.
  • StewyGriffin likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#3 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

Pretty simple I reckon. 1st step is a warning letter. 2nd step is a second warning letter saying the next step is a suspension. 3rd step is a short suspension and each subsequent step is a gradually longer suspension unitl the tool decides to leave. 1 bad egg can ruin your business or club especially as you say he got physically aggressive. Complimentary game for your 2 guests would be a good public relations move and make the club some money as most people spend money where they play.

#4 F.C.

F.C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20241 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

$3k? FMD. It has to be one of the most overrated courses in Sydney.
  • chevychase, Monty85 and Mr Potato Head like this

#5 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14104 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

You should have just given back his phone instead of leaving it the tee for the group behind to find. Shameful behavior. As for posting about it here...
  • StewyGriffin, Bluethunda and hack2489 like this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#6 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

3k is a lot of money for a good club house and but just an ok course.

Yes I agree that they should at least given him a warning.

Out of interest how was he planning to call the police if he didn't have his phone???😝😝
  • pt73, Weetbix, Francie and 6 others like this

#7 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

Thought I would share a very unpleasant experience at Oatlands Golf Club and the completely unacceptable response from the GM & Board...

I was playing with 2 guests and a 4th player in the group who was another member. The member lost his phone on the course (after taking personal calls during the comp) and went on to accuse all 3 playing partners of theft. He insisted on searching bags and pockets, questioned everyone's integrity, and threatened to call police before becoming physically aggressive. He also made an official report to club staff that our group had stolen his phone.

The phone was handed in at the end of the day by a group behind who found it on the course - despite this the member refused to apologise and the club declined to take disciplinary action against him despite receiving complaints about his behavior from all 3 of us in the group.

Ridiculous that a private club that charges over $3k in annual subs believes this behavior is acceptable. 

Did you present the club with written signed complaints. Very few clubs will take any action from verbal complaints.

• Bluethunda and PerryGroves like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#8 F.C.

F.C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20241 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

3k is a lot of money for a good club house and but just an ok course.
Yes I agree that they should at least given him a warning.
Out of interest how was he planning to call the police if he didn't have his phone???

Did he lift his left heel?

#9 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

They're not charging you $3k...it's the bloke that caused the problem and pays the $3k you should take issue with.

I understand your angst...but really, I'm thinking the issue is more with the tool that created the problem, rather than the club's reaction to it.

I disagree, there's dickheads out there and that's just life. But for the board to tacitly approve of such behaviour towards others in what should be a civilised environment (because he is generating revenue?) is totally unacceptable.

Did you present the club with written signed complaints. Very few clubs will take any action from verbal complaints.

Yes, they received 3 separate written complaints and responded saying they have reviewed correspondence and are not taking further action. My expectation would have been for an apology and a written warning to him as a minimum.

• pom, Bluethunda, madness and 1 other like this

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41835 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

Piss poor
  • AGQ and hack2489 like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11 StewyGriffin

StewyGriffin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

If the fees are $2K is the behavior acceptable ?

Or 

If the fees are $4K is the behavior acceptable ?

#confused 

• GhettoGolfer, Goldy and hack2489 like this

#12 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

A few months ago a list of "behavioural standards" appeared on our notice boards with details of the corresponding consequence for that behaviour (warning, suspension etc).  It covers verbal abuse of other players and staff amongst other things.  I understand it was prompted by an incident where someone lost their **** with a staff member.  I think most clubs should have a similar sort of regime in place if they want to demonstrate that the way that people treat each other is an important value.

• Joe79, Mr Potato Head and hack2489 like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#13 Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head

Non-Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1269 posts
  • LocationOff the back foot

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

Have always found Oatlands to be a little 'different' in vibe and culture.

Know some guys who are members there & they seem happy.

Overrated? maybe, back in the days when it was populated by dentists it was very officious and closed.

The course? pretty good parkland that cannot handle 2 days of solid rainfall, but not the Augusta some want it to be.

Country golfer on a City course.

I'm good, but no-one seems to care.

Now I find out a French au-pair is NOT a breed of goat!

French Doctors though? not on Nauru!

Is it really your ABC?

#14 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Amazing that they are ok for a member to physically aggressive towards guests. No chance that would be ok at our course.

• Bluethunda, madness and hack2489 like this

| GolfLink 

#15 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

If the fees are $2K is the behavior acceptable ?

Or 

If the fees are $4K is the behavior acceptable ?

#confused 

Not acceptable at any time, but per my point above there's places where there's only so much you can do. 

It's not a public park but a private members golf club where they have the ability to do something. It says a lot about the poor management values that they are condoning such behavior. 

• Bluethunda, madness and hack2489 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users