38 replies to this topic

#1 PeterJ3

PeterJ3

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSutherland, Sydney NSW

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here . My wife and I are in our early 50's , live in the Sutherland Shire area of Sydney and have both decided to have a shot at playing golf . My only involvement with golf to date is having a few social hits here and there in my earlier days, mainly on corporate days when asked out by clients and caddying for my Dad (who was a golf addict) in my youth in New Zealand. Neither of us have ever played in a competition so are both "beginners" with a capital B. Our first outing involved hitting around 150 balls each at the local driving range. The next step is to organise some lessons and buy a reasonable set of clubs.

Just after any some tips from some of the seasoned players on this forum , i.e what is a reasonable set of clubs for someone starting out , recommendations on who to see about lessons (I don't mind travelling to other parts of Sydney) , joining a club and anything else I need to know.

Thanks very much

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, Mr Potato Head and 1 other like this

#2 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42058 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

I’ve seeb it suggested before and it’s a good option to look at second hand clubs - just do some research about the big makers and what their last few ranges of game improvement clubs are so you know what to look for. If you’re around average height then standard set up will e ok for you to begin with.

Another option is Golf Wolrd and Golf Clearance Outlet often sell 2-3 generation ago clubs that are new and still perfectly good.
  • Parmachine, madness and PeterJ3 like this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

Join NSW Golf Club. The rest should take care of itself.

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#4 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14946 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:40 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here . My wife and I are in our early 50's , live in the Sutherland Shire area of Sydney and have both decided to have a shot at playing golf . My only involvement with golf to date is having a few social hits here and there in my earlier days, mainly on corporate days when asked out by clients and caddying for my Dad (who was a golf addict) in my youth in New Zealand. Neither of us have ever played in a competition so are both "beginners" with a capital B. Our first outing involved hitting around 150 balls each at the local driving range. The next step is to organise some lessons and buy a reasonable set of clubs.

Just after any some tips from some of the seasoned players on this forum , i.e what is a reasonable set of clubs for someone starting out , recommendations on who to see about lessons (I don't mind travelling to other parts of Sydney) , joining a club and anything else I need to know.

Thanks very much

Welcome!   Head over to The Ridge and ask for Gary- they have a range (may be where you practice already?) course and do heaps in retail. 

• Mr Potato Head and PeterJ3 like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#5 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Thanks very much

Hey Peter,

Welcome aboard.  Strange bunch in here but all lovable rogues.

Of the courses in The Shire, I would suggest that Woolooware is probably the least penal and suited to someone starting out.  It is also a Public Course and has social play after 12 midday on Mon - Tue - Wed, all day Thur - Friday and after 1pm on Sat - Sun.  They also have what I have been told by others that I know in the Shire a pretty good onsite Golf Academy if you decide to continue on the painful journey that is golf.  (Just kidding, painful but heaps of fun).  The Ridge at Barden Ridge would be the next choice but due to the amount of slope on the course, it is easy to lose a ball or ten.  Also a public course and relatively easy to get on midweek and after 1pm on Sat - Sun.

If you are interested in meeting some of the NSW like minded lunatics that inhabit this forum, we have a little ISG NSW get together planned for the 20/5/18 at Port Kembla GC.  You can find all the details in the ISG Golf Days thread.  Our chief lunatic is Captain Barnesy and I'm sure he would be happy to provide you any additional info that you may want outside that which has been posted in the thread.with all the details.

If you want to become a full fledged lunatic, the ISG Nationals are on in Qld this year.  It is recommended you bring your own straight jacket for this event though.

As for the clubs, you will be looking for Game Improvement irons/hybrid combo, Driver and Fairway wood.  Give yourself an idea of how old you want the clubs to be and what price you can reasonable go to.  Unless you have an high swing speed, I would suggest at your age and as you are just starting out, Reg flex will probably do you.  Also bear in mind the GI clubs of the last 5 or so years are an improvement over the ones produced pre 2012.   

Good luck to you and the wife on the adventure.

• BarnEsy05, CaNadiAn MiCk, Mr Potato Head and 1 other like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#6 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

PeterJ3, it would be fair to say that you have been given some useful information so far, which is most uncharacteristic of the information general provided around here.

The regular rabble will be along soon to suggest you aim left, watch out for garage doors and cats.

Nonetheless, in the spirit of good information, I'll add to the idea of buying second hand although, I'd suggest you speak to a local golf coach first as they can often lend you a set and give you some basic pointers such as if you need longer or shorter clubs, or more or less lie (how much the club leans over). Then, help you find a set, and have more interest in your progress, as you take lessons etc.

Buying second hand means you loose less value when you upgrade as you improve, but, get better quality than the "package sets" at the golf retailers. The new clubs now out of season by a couple of years are good value too if you know what suits you, hence talk to your golf coach.

You must also dress the part, so please review bumps thread as his fashion tips will no doubt improve your game.

Welcome aboard.
  • Placegetter, Joe79, madness and 1 other like this

#7 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:15 PM

I'll add, when checking out clubs that fit into the game improvement category ....... look for clubs with wide soles, and clubs with all of the weight distributed around the outside of the head.

Also ..... if you want to get serious about the game and are willing to put in the work, eg lessons, practice etc, you're improvement could be rapid, so don't pay too much for those game improvement clubs, as you may grow out of them.

Some club / bag packages can be a good starting option if indeed, you plan to put the work in (so you don't outlay too much initially) :)

• PeterJ3 likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#8 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:51 PM

The above is good advice. Don't spend much on clubs until you have fallen in love (or obsessive hate) with the game. I would also add that you don't have to play in competitions and learn all the rules. Golf clubs are way too focused on comps and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the game without keeping score. There are many reasons for people to enjoy golf and I hope you find one.

I now enjoy the after work golf much more than comp golf and have joined up with many wonderful people who are just out to enjoy a walk and bash and a bit of a chat as the sun goes down.

• GeoffDickson, CaNadiAn MiCk, Monty85 and 2 others like this

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24395 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:51 PM

The above is good advice. Don't spend much on clubs until you have fallen in love (or obsessive hate) with the game. I would also add that you don't have to play in competitions and learn all the rules. Golf clubs are way too focused on comps and there is nothing wrong with enjoying the game without keeping score. There are many reasons for people to enjoy golf and I hope you find one.
I now enjoy the after work golf much more than comp golf and have joined up with many wonderful people who are just out to enjoy a walk and bash and a bit of a chat as the sun goes down.

That is just madness !
  • madness likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#10 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

In terms of a "reasonable" golf set, keep in mind the more expensive you go the harder they get for a beginner because they favor control over forgiveness

#11 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20442 posts
  • Location.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

In terms of a "reasonable" golf set, keep in mind the more expensive you go the harder they get for a beginner because they favor control over forgiveness

WTF?

#12 PeterJ3

PeterJ3

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSutherland, Sydney NSW

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Thanks all for your help. My wife picked up a second hand set off gumtree. I figured I'd also go secondhand. That way if I decide not to continue I can get rid of them without losing too much cash. My son who recently took up the sport bought a Callway Warbird package deal off  Drummond for around $900. That may also be an option.. Thanks again

• CaNadiAn MiCk and madness like this

#13 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

WTF?

Generally game improvement clubs are at the cheaper end of the price scale, are targeted at beginners and favor forgiveness.

High end irons have a better feel, sound, feedback and control to shape the shot and conversely are less forgiving (bad shots will go further offline). For a beginner, in all likelihood that will make their game worse!

Edited by Falcs2, 12 April 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#14 Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head

Non-Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • LocationOff the back foot

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hey Peter,

Welcome aboard.  Strange bunch in here but all lovable rogues.

Of the courses in The Shire, I would suggest that Woolooware is probably the least penal and suited to someone starting out.  It is also a Public Course and has social play after 12 midday on Mon - Tue - Wed, all day Thur - Friday and after 1pm on Sat - Sun.  They also have what I have been told by others that I know in the Shire a pretty good onsite Golf Academy if you decide to continue on the painful journey that is golf.  (Just kidding, painful but heaps of fun).  The Ridge at Barden Ridge would be the next choice but due to the amount of slope on the course, it is easy to lose a ball or ten.  Also a public course and relatively easy to get on midweek and after 1pm on Sat - Sun.

If you are interested in meeting some of the NSW like minded lunatics that inhabit this forum, we have a little ISG NSW get together planned for the 20/5/18 at Port Kembla GC.  You can find all the details in the ISG Golf Days thread.  Our chief lunatic is Captain Barnesy and I'm sure he would be happy to provide you any additional info that you may want outside that which has been posted in the thread.with all the details.

If you want to become a full fledged lunatic, the ISG Nationals are on in Qld this year.  It is recommended you bring your own straight jacket for this event though.

As for the clubs, you will be looking for Game Improvement irons/hybrid combo, Driver and Fairway wood.  Give yourself an idea of how old you want the clubs to be and what price you can reasonable go to.  Unless you have an high swing speed, I would suggest at your age and as you are just starting out, Reg flex will probably do you.  Also bear in mind the GI clubs of the last 5 or so years are an improvement over the ones produced pre 2012.   

Good luck to you and the wife on the adventure.

You make way too much sense Commish.

BTW had spent some time in ACT at the Furphy tap...was good as you said it was.

• Commish and Francie like this

Country golfer on a City course.

I'm good, but no-one seems to care.

Now I find out a French au-pair is NOT a breed of goat!

Never been to the Sudan

Is it really your ABC?

#15 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

Generally game improvement clubs are at the cheaper end of the price scale, are targeted at beginners and favor forgiveness.

High end irons have a better feel, sound, feedback and control to shape the shot and conversely are less forgiving (bad shots will go further offline). For a beginner, in all likelihood that will make their game worse!

This explains a lot

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users