• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin N

Kevin N

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

hi guys, anyone joined this club? Please share your experience. How busy is the course ? Members in the course? Is practicing area good like The Lakes or Boonie Doon.  

#2 Nathan No More

Nathan No More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19881 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

I was a member there for about a decade.

The course, membership and staff have change a lot over the last few years, unfortunately not for the better.

It is a shame cause it was great course and had awesome members and staff.

The practice areas are no where near as good as The Lakes or Bonnie Doon.

Here is a link to their practice facilities:
https://www.concordg...ice-facilities/

Cheers
  • Kevin N likes this

#3 Kevin N

Kevin N

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

thanks for your feedback. is it easy to book for the comp early on weekday and weekend? I heard the course has been renovated

• Nathan No More likes this

#4 Nathan No More

Nathan No More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19881 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:48 PM

The only comp day that can be a problem is Wednesday, it was always a full field.

I never had any trouble getting a time in the weekend comps.

Mondays are usually corporate days, so you usually can't get on till the afternoon.

Friday afternoons can be surprisingly busy.

I can't remember if ladies day was Tuesday or Thursday, but they are usually finished by lunchtime.

I'm not a fan of the renovations.

A lot of the older members thought the course was to hard on their approach shots and around the greens.

In the late 90s they put in 18 new greens and surrounds, players like Craig Parry and Nick Flanagan credit playing into and on those greens as a big part of their success.

They were testing but fair and could be super quick.

I'm not sure if the renovations have been completed, they were due to be completed in March.

I don't see the point in making a course easier because lesser players find it to hard, that is why you have handicaps.

The club also took over the pro shop a while ago and brought in all new staff, this upset quite a few members.

When I was a member there I enjoyed every minute. The course was always in great condition and the members were great.

I personally would not rejoin there now.

But I still think it is worth a look and see for yourself.
  • Kevin N likes this

#5 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13904 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:35 PM

The only comp day that can be a problem is Wednesday, it was always a full field.

I never had any trouble getting a time in the weekend comps.

Mondays are usually corporate days, so you usually can't get on till the afternoon.

Friday afternoons can be surprisingly busy.

I can't remember if ladies day was Tuesday or Thursday, but they are usually finished by lunchtime.

I'm not a fan of the renovations.

A lot of the older members thought the course was to hard on their approach shots and around the greens.

In the late 90s they put in 18 new greens and surrounds, players like Craig Parry and Nick Flanagan credit playing into and on those greens as a big part of their success.

They were testing but fair and could be super quick.

I'm not sure if the renovations have been completed, they were due to be completed in March.

I don't see the point in making a course easier because lesser players find it to hard, that is why you have handicaps.

The club also took over the pro shop a while ago and brought in all new staff, this upset quite a few members.

When I was a member there I enjoyed every minute. The course was always in great condition and the members were great.

I personally would not rejoin there now.

But I still think it is worth a look and see for yourself.

Who in their right mind would give up a prestigious membership at Howlong to join a numpties club like Concord??  I mean honestly, go and sit in the corner and contemplate your response young man. 

• BarnEsy05, Madam, Schmuck and 1 other like this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#6 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

We opened a shop in town for 1 year and rented in Concord I asked about joining and was told by the club it was full. I joined Concord West as it was next closest course no comparison in courses, West was a bit crappy but good people. I remember Concord West a lot of the holes ran alongside each other and getting hit by stray balls was a regular thing. Concord looked like a beautiful course. 

#7 Nathan No More

Nathan No More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19881 posts
  • Location.

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

We opened a shop in town for 1 year and rented in Concord I asked about joining and was told by the club it was full. I joined Concord West as it was next closest course no comparison in courses, West was a bit crappy but good people. I remember Concord West a lot of the holes ran alongside each other and getting hit by stray balls was a regular thing. Concord looked like a beautiful course.

There is no golf course called Concord West.

The only course I assume you could be talking about is Massey Park, not that it is in Concord West.

#8 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Massey park we lived at concord west 

oops 

Edited by PuttOvr, 07 April 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#9 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13904 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

The only things you get to putt over on the greens at Massey Park is heaps of duck sh it and pitch marks.

• Madam, Nathan No More, hack2489 and 1 other like this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#10 Kevin N

Kevin N

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:54 PM

i just check out with Concord, they have quite expense joining fee ( $7200) even for under 40s ( no access for Wed and Sat even in practicing area which is terrible when i just want to practice). I may come to play for one day and then decide

• Nathan No More and PuttOvr like this

#11 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hey Kevin, I've only played Concord a handful of times as I'm not really from that part of town. Here's what I have to say about it:

- The course itself is a great layout, very well maintained and a strong test of golf

- The greens are mint!

- Practice area from memory is OK for putting and chipping but their range is very limited in length and runs alongside the 1st fairway. I don't think you can hit much further than 170m there? Someone more in the know will be able to confirm but suffice it to say I don't think it's he kind of range where you can hit a bucket of driver's with a new swing you're working on ;)

- The pies at the half-way hut are AWESOME!

I believe they just re-opened the "new" course, post-renovations on Monday 9th of April, so I havent played the new improvements, but I can't see how it could not be even better than it already was. Finally, the few members I know there are super laid back and most others I played with were very approachable. 

• Madam and Kevin N like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users