#1 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11888 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

After reading a post in another thread I got to thinking about the position that many Match committee members can find themselves in on Competition day

As a member of the clubs Match committee (Captain in my case) Most of those expected to enforce the rules are also playing in the daily competition. In this situation you will often hear conversations between a marker & a player & see players doing things that breech the rules. I always made it plain before the round that when I was playing I was not a rules official & would not deal with any questions until the round was finished. Would be interested to hear others opinion on How they think  one should handle being both competitor & Rules official at the same competition.

• Madam and gracekelly like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#2 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

IMHO, as a player you can not ignore your knowledge of rules or breaches. So, should act accordingly.

Then, when, if, an issue from the group in which you played is being adjudication, you should refrain from adjudication on grounds of conflict, temporarily abandon your position as captain, (soneobe takes your place, position while incident is assessed and resolved) but you would contribute to committee information requests as a player who observed the incident.

Once the issue from the group in which you played is decided (without your vote or influence) you resume your position as official, "captain".

Removes conflict of interest, and has you above integrity issues such as favourable rulings for your playing group.

Edited by hack2489, 22 March 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#3 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

When I'm playing in a competition, I'm not a referee.  However, I will certainly help my fellow-competitors or opponents with Rules situations when requested.  I will also advise them when they may be about to breach a Rule.  In stroke play, I'm not going to ignore a breach of the Rules that I see - protecting the field is a priority.  In match play, I will ignore most Rule breaches that my opponent makes inadvertently (such as touching the sand in a bunker with his club), and expect him to apply any penalties he knows he incurred (such as water hazards, stroke and distance).

Good advice above about taking off your Captain's hat when a situation develops in your group that needs a Committee decision.  Provide the Committee with what you know, but don't be involved in the decision.  We have a policy dealing with appeals - people involved in the decision being appealed cannot be involved with the appeal, other than to bring evidence about the initial situation; they are "contaminated."

• Madam, languid and Monty85 like this

#4 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

I always made it plain before the round that when I was playing I was not a rules official & would not deal with any questions until the round was finished. Would be interested to hear others opinion on How they think  one should handle being both competitor & Rules official at the same competition.

Do you mean that you wouldn't deal with questions from within your own group? Or more that you wouldn't deal with questions and issues players from other groups were having?

If the latter, i think that's fair. You can't be expected to put your group on hold to go sort out rules questions relating to players not in your group.

• gracekelly likes this

| GolfLink 

#5 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11888 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Do you mean that you wouldn't deal with questions from within your own group? Or more that you wouldn't deal with questions and issues players from other groups were having?

If the latter, i think that's fair. You can't be expected to put your group on hold to go sort out rules questions relating to players not in your group.

Maybe I could have worded that a little better. As far as my own group is concerned I would always get involved if the player was about to or had already done something wrong. My preference has always been to stop the breech before it happens. But then I will still do this even though I am not currently on any club Committee.

As you have suggested I was talking about other groups and players in the competition. I have been approached many times over the years by players wanting rulings or opinions , To settle disagreements. To complain about the Course and even( in the earlier days) to explain to a player why their handicap had not changed.

Most of these incidents can be sorted out after the round & some of them do not need any attention at all.

IMO those who give their time to assist with club business are as entitled as any other member to have an enjoyable round of golf without being waylaid by players with, quiet often ,trivial matters that can wait until the end of play.

• Madam and hack2489 like this
No VTPP11

#6 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11888 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

When I'm playing in a competition, I'm not a referee.  However, I will certainly help my fellow-competitors or opponents with Rules situations when requested.  I will also advise them when they may be about to breach a Rule.  In stroke play, I'm not going to ignore a breach of the Rules that I see - protecting the field is a priority.  In match play, I will ignore most Rule breaches that my opponent makes inadvertently (such as touching the sand in a bunker with his club), and expect him to apply any penalties he knows he incurred (such as water hazards, stroke and distance).

Good advice above about taking off your Captain's hat when a situation develops in your group that needs a Committee decision.  Provide the Committee with what you know, but don't be involved in the decision.  We have a policy dealing with appeals - people involved in the decision being appealed cannot be involved with the appeal, other than to bring evidence about the initial situation; they are "contaminated."

I agree totally & have been in this position on a couple of occasions.

No VTPP11

#7 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

IMO those who give their time to assist with club business are as entitled as any other member to have an enjoyable round of golf without being waylaid by players with, quiet often ,trivial matters that can wait until the end of play.

Couldn't agree more.

LOL at handicap quesiton. I still hear people say things like "how can i have 33 points and lose a shot?"

FFS - how many years have we been using this system now and you still can't wrap your head around the concept.

• pom, Madam, gracekelly and 1 other like this

| GolfLink 

#8 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

What?

I can have 33 points, so play below my daily handicap and still lose a shot off my handicap? WTF?

OH, is that what the mouldy one refers to as the impact of the DSR?

Edited by hack2489, 22 March 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#9 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1189 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Agreed.

But.

Those with "trivial matters" will not usually see it the same. You, as club captain must help them when it suits them!

Reminds me of my very young days, my parents operated a tourist based business including accommodation. At 9.30 / 10pm at night we'd get a knock on the managers door. Some holiday maker would have run out of wine, beer, or even tomato sauce and would demand we solve their issue.

I learnt early on to take advantage of the situation. I'd sell them as a 15yo six packs of beer for $20 (I'm 47, do the math) or a bottle of wine. Sauce was $5, for what was less than a $1 at Woolworths. Supply n demand plus a PITA fee.

Paid for my surfboards and wetsuits back then. Maybe should have used the money for golf lessons.
  • pom, languid, Monty85 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users