#31 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17311 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Just getting back into golf again, always liked the TM offerings. Used the Lethal a fair bit and then the Tour Preferred. How does the new one stack up?

Tp5 are a great ball
  • chevychase and ElHosel like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#32 Robby234

Robby234

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:49 AM

Yes, I have tried Callaway Super Soft balls but the distance you gets from V1 is incredible. As far as i m concerned, V1 is certainly one of the best golf balls b here.

• chevychase and PuttOvr like this

#33 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:42 AM

Yes, I have tried Callaway Super Soft balls but the distance you gets from V1 is incredible. As far as i m concerned, V1 is certainly one of the best golf balls b here.

Have you tried the Callaway Super Soft X ??

They seemed to go a tad further off the tee for me, like maybe 5-10m, but didn't stop as well on greens (noticed divots further from the ball), and didn't feel as good for short range shots around the greens (maybe I was use to the feel of pro V1).

Cally super soft X sort of felt like a pro V1 to me but with characteristics like the pro V1x.

Every now and then I'll try a different ball, but seem to keep coming back to Pro V1.
  • PuttOvr likes this

#34 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

The 2018 iteration of the Pro V1 is the best ball Titleist have ever produced. It’s longer than the old version Pro V1x. TP5 is up there as well; there’s not much difference between TP5 & TP5x.
  • ElHosel, Bluethunda and PuttOvr like this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: TaylorMade TP5

#35 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3066 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

The ChromeSoft versions in 2018 are as long and soft as any ball I have tested ,,,, TP5/X and ProV1 andX

feel heavier - harder,,,,in compression terms ,,, it depends on smash factor and "real" all game swingspeed

as to what suits but most elite players now talk more about putting feel and distance control as their No1

and No2 feature to look at when choosing which ball to play.

Edited by The_Boz, 25 March 2018 - 09:17 AM.

• MaxxOn and PuttOvr like this

The Vision Project | UVee Staybright Ball Tec | @visiongolfball by WJB | #byWJB

#36 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

The 2018 iteration of the Pro V1 is the best ball Titleist have ever produced. It’s longer than the old version Pro V1x. TP5 is up there as well; there’s not much difference between TP5 & TP5x.

Is there a 2018 model out?

I thought Titleist only do bi annual updates, with 2015 superceded by the new 2017 versions of the Pro V1 and V1x.

Have I missed a release up date?

#37 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

The ChromeSoft versions in 2018 are as long and soft as any ball I have tested ,,,, TP5/X and ProV1 andX
feel heavier - harder,,,,in compression terms ,,, it depends on smash factor and "real" all game swingspeed
as to what suits but most elite players now talk more about putting feel and distance control as their No1
and No2 feature to look at when choosing which ball to play.

I haven't tried the 2018, new model of the chrome soft X... I saw them on the shelf at Drummond a couple of weeks back at a price higher than I get Pro V1, so didn't bother to get any to try.

#38 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3066 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Well there is a story here ,,,, Callaway were stuck in the US with US$39.95 as their highest priced ball

after they dropped the Speed Series, which failed to set the market alight. They have added the current

sports gear tech "graphene" to one layer in a very small amount as it is expensive,, in order to move the

balls back up to ProV1 prices in the US being an increase at over 10% at US$45+ ,,,, so here yes they

are expensive ,,,, I believe the balls will make a lot of money for Callaway BUT the market does not

think the balls are worth that much more,,,,,, there will be deals in the next 3-6 months ,,,, 

Titleist and Callaway in particular make great profits on their ball sales in Oz much more than the

Proshops or retailers get to,,,,,

Even the latest Australian buy 3 dozen get one dozen deal may not really help the retailer just Titleist

Edited by The_Boz, 25 March 2018 - 10:14 AM.

• MaxxOn likes this

#39 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

Is there a 2018 model out?
I thought Titleist only do bi annual updates, with 2015 superceded by the new 2017 versions of the Pro V1 and V1x.
Have I missed a release up date?

I should have qualified that statement; it is the 2017 Pro V1 version on sale in 2018. It’s a superb ball.
  • ElHosel and hack2489 like this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: TaylorMade TP5

#40 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

I should have qualified that statement; it is the 2017 Pro V1 version on sale in 2018. It’s a superb ball.

Cool.

Phew.

Thought I'd missed finding an announcement. Googled heaps, couldn't find anything.

Starting think Russian spies were keeping the truth from me.
  • chevychase likes this

#41 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17311 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

Well there is a story here ,,,, Callaway were stuck in the US with US$39.95 as their highest priced ball
after they dropped the Speed Series, which failed to set the market alight. They have added the current
sports gear tech "graphene" to one layer in a very small amount as it is expensive,, in order to move the
balls back up to ProV1 prices in the US being an increase at over 10% at US$45+ ,,,, so here yes they
are expensive ,,,, I believe the balls will make a lot of money for Callaway BUT the market does not
think the balls are worth that much more,,,,,, there will be deals in the next 3-6 months ,,,, 

Titleist and Callaway in particular make great profits on their ball sales in Oz much more than the
Proshops or retailers get to,,,,,

Even the latest Australian buy 3 dozen get one dozen deal may not really help the retailer just Titleist

Our trainee has callaway in his veins, and he is shoving this ball down everyone's throat. Hasn't made him play any better, imohho.
  • The_Boz likes this

#42 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:09 PM

It definitely used to be that the Pro V1x was for players generating more mph, as was the case with some of the Bridgestones and probably other brands. It seems in my time not playing manufacturers have done away with swing speed = certain golf ball and now recommend them on feel for the most part.

So what has happened ? Have they lowered compressions across the board or made some sort of breakthrough that enables slower swing speeds to use the Pro V1x etc or is it just marketing spin?

#43 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3066 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

No its interesting times ,,,, most proper Tour validated and used designs " feel" better when hit firmer rather

than the older story of talking of fitting players through their swing speed to a design  to max out distance.

The truth is in general terms something like this,,,

A really soft ball lets say Duo Soft like can still be hit a long way by a hard hitter but it will feel  too soft /

lack in feedback / Lack in distance control / lack in putting distance control ,,,,,and conversely a average

Joe can hit the ProV1X a long way (in their terms) but his poor shots will be shorter as the inside needs

to be hit efficiently to max it out.

The lower compression the inside is the mor forgiving it can be but there is always a trade off as described.

Cheers,

Boz

• ElHosel, Monty85 and MaxxOn like this

#44 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17311 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

For what this argument, nay, robust discussion, is worth, I use the Tp5x, which generates
More sidespin than I desire, however I use them mainly for their feel off the driver and putter face. They do stop pretty quickly on the green.
  • The_Boz likes this

#45 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3066 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

You will find a lower compression internal structure with a similar type ball setup so lets say Project (a) 2018

which is a practical price ? not sure right now rather than say the new CS which is expensive maybe be interesting

in regards to straightness and the cover is something like the TP5 balls as they are out of the same plant.

I have been working on a 4 piece myself that I see Dean Snell is using this year in the US which is interesting for

amateurs ,,, I am doing more work on the cover here in Australia for my versions ,,,,,

Edited by The_Boz, 25 March 2018 - 05:52 PM.

• MaxxOn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users