#1 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice - I have a work trip to Fremantle straight after Easter and are looking at getting out for 18 while I'm over there. 

Does anyone have any recommendations was thinking either down to The Cut, Kennedy Bay or up to Joondalup.

Am planning to hire a car while over there so access shouldn't be too bad.

Should I consider The Vines as an option???

Edited by Birdie Blitz, 16 March 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#2 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice - I have a work trip to Fremantle straight after Easter and are looking at getting out for 18 while I'm over there. 

Does anyone have any recommendations was thinking either down to The Cut, Kennedy Bay or up to Joondalup.

Am planning to hire a car while over there so access shouldn't be too bad.

Should I consider The Vines as an option???

Joondalup is definitely worth the trip, such a unique course. Probably number 1 on the list just because it is so different. The Lakes 9 is nothing special but the Quarry and Dunes are fantastic. I don't know if you can get on as a visitor but Lake Karrinyup would be my number 2 choice to play. There are some under rated courses in the suburbs. I like Royal Fremantle, Cottesloe and Mt Lawley. I wouldn't bother with the Cut. 3 or 4 good holes and the rest are average. Meadow Springs and Mandurah Country Club are much better. I don't think the Vines is anything special. Usually a great time of year for weather so you should have a good trip.

Edited by madness, 17 March 2018 - 09:51 PM.

• Madam and Mr Potato Head like this

#3 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

Joondalup is definitely worth the trip, such a unique course. Probably number 1 on the list just because it is so different. The Lakes 9 is nothing special but the Quarry and Dunes are fantastic. I don't know if you can get on as a visitor but Lake Karrinyup would be my number 2 choice to play. There are some under rated courses in the suburbs. I like Royal Fremantle, Cottesloe and Mt Lawley. I wouldn't bother with the Cut. 3 or 4 good holes and the rest are average. Meadow Springs and Mandurah Country Club are much better. I don't think the Vines is anything special. Usually a great time of year for weather so you should have a good trip.

Thank Madness, I'll head out to Joondalup for a hit - but might also make some enquiries about Lake Karrinyup.

Cheers,

• madness likes this

#4 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

Joondalup worth a look but its a long way from Freo.  I don't like it, but that's more me than them.  Its polarising but you never know

Cut is an abomination so avoid it

KB very good, so play it twice

Forget Karrinyup. Huge problems with greens continue and wont be resolved for some time as they dig up back 9 in a few weeks.  Ok if you want to experience before and after, but not really welcoming of visitors at the moment as its all a bit embarrassing.

Royal Freo is a nice day out - probably your best bet.  Its not Royal Melbourne but still a nice outing.  Try WA club - its not bad

• Madam, madness and Birdie Blitz like this

#5 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

Decided to go with Joondalup for an early morning hit before work commitments. The main reasons for Joondalup was due to the comments here and also I remember reading a golf digest mag about 20 years ago about this insane course designed in a quarry. 

Really fun course to play. Not playing comp meant that I tried to take off a bit more of the quarry/cliffs than I would have in comp especially through 4 and 5 (pin on 5 was tucked right to the quarry side so tried to take it to the hole) on the Quarry 9. Thought the Quarry 9 was good but the Dunes 9 is better really liked the start of dunes 9 1-4. 

All in all a good fun course to play - would play there again............. after trying the other courses like Kennedy Bay.

• Madam and madness like this

#6 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

Decided to go with Joondalup for an early morning hit before work commitments. The main reasons for Joondalup was due to the comments here and also I remember reading a golf digest mag about 20 years ago about this insane course designed in a quarry. 

Really fun course to play. Not playing comp meant that I tried to take off a bit more of the quarry/cliffs than I would have in comp especially through 4 and 5 (pin on 5 was tucked right to the quarry side so tried to take it to the hole) on the Quarry 9. Thought the Quarry 9 was good but the Dunes 9 is better really liked the start of dunes 9 1-4. 

All in all a good fun course to play - would play there again............. after trying the other courses like Kennedy Bay.

Glad you got to play quarry, dunes. I haven't played there for many years but the rumour in the early days is that David Graham 4 putted the 2nd green on the dunes nine and said he couldn't remember having a 4 putt in his life.

• Birdie Blitz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users