• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:55 AM

... will be good to get a baseline.

Exactly.

You'll get measurable improvement.

Oh, FWIW, my coach gave me the tip to use a towel as the landing zone (ie don't worry about roll out). So you can do the shorter chips, pitch stuff in a back yard, or open area near a sports field. (ie you don't need a chipping green). I use 2 towels, a large beach towel and a smaller golf towel on top of the beach towel to "mark" the landing zones.

Yes, this means you don't get a chance to hole a ball, but, it focuses you on the landing zone. So, when on course, you know your distances to a landing spot, and then work out what or where that is based upon the undulations and speed of the green you are playing at that time. Watch the pros on TV and you'll see them talking with their caddy about where they want to land the ball to get it to roll and finish near the hole. Since we can't practise every possible speed, break, combo etc. we need to focus our practise on a landing zone (ie the towels.)

Trick too, record the result of each shot after each shot. So, chip a ball, write down result. Chip another. This means you practice your routine to take each shot, slows down the rapid fire chip chip chip and focuses the mind to be more like on course conditions. There is no sense in hitting shot after shot UNLESS you are trying to groove a change, or LEARN a specific technique. Once technique known, it's about use, execution, practise in as close to on course condition as possible. Hence, one shot at a time.

And, practicse with the same type of ball you would use on course. You want to learn the feel, response, flight, spin etc. of the ball you play on course. No sense learning a hard low spin ball in practise to only then use a soft higher spinning ball on course and find the distance is different to what you practised.

I carry 10 of my game type balls with my clubs. I can pull up at a grassed area on the way home from work, grab my golf towel, pace of X distance and hit to my "target". I use a scorecard to record each shot, after 10, I move towel to another distance, maybe add 5m, then do same. Do that for about 1/2 hr, and I've usually hit around 70 / 80 shots.

Every range session at a practise facility I'll do at least 50 short game chips, and putting. I use it to break up the range session.

As others posted, 1/3 long game, 2/3 short game for your overall practice time and you'll find a lot of in course improvement.

Good luck.

#17 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

Oh, and, FWIW... after recalling my missed chips yesterday, make sure you practice shots from **** lies, longer "rough" etc.

I had one yesterday in the rough, but, on bare dirt between tufty clumps of grass. Had to carry 40m over a bunker to the short side flag. Had two options, bunt it up and leave a long putt, or try miracle shot over bunker.

I naturally did the ego thing and tried the miracle shot, coming up short right but just out of the bunker. So, another poor lie, ugly stance chip over corner of the bunker, whick luckily my 60* wedge clipped cleanly and landed a metre from the hole. One putt.

Maybe I should have played for the long putt and taken trouble out of play? Don't know, but, having practised sh.it lies longer wedge shots I felt somewhat comfortable giving it a try.

#18 Vilante

Vilante

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the info Hack, much appreciated!

How often do you find yourself practicing? And for how long? Intersted to get an idea on what people are doing in order to improve.

This week I played 18 at Hurstville which is a bit of a dodgy suburban course. Had an ordinary game at 28 over! I hit my irons OK but tee shots were all over the place and short chipping was abysmal.

I also hit the range one afternoon. I was very wayward but remembered something a teacher had told me years ago that had me leaving with a bit of confidence. He told me when I'm nearing the top of my backswing to stretch back, to really straighten out my left arm. I put it into practice and hit 90% of my remaining shots dead straight. I felt as if I could feel where the clubface was at address more, possibly because I was giving myself more time before the down swing started? Keen to get back to the range and see if that continues.

It didn't really work with the driver though, they were still a little wayward. Some work to do there.

#19 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info Hack, much appreciated!

How often do you find yourself practicing? And for how long? Intersted to get an idea on what people are doing in order to improve.

I tried to do something ever day.

If work and family commitments allow, it might be a range session after work to groove in a change.

Once I feel comfortable with a swing change, it might then be, again depends on work or family stuff, a wander around a course for a few holes or 9, or whatever I can squeeze in... I might play the 9 straight, or might hit a few drives, play the first or best, or whatever and the hit 4 or 5 into the green. Might putt out, might not, depends on how busy the course is, how I feel, or what I'm working on improving.

If I can't get to range or course, it might be a few sets of 10 balls onto a towel in a park or open space on my way home from work. (Clubs stay in my car, with practice balls, shoes etc.).

Or, maybe I might take my 10 practice balls to the chipping green and do some up and downs, or work on a chip n run, or whatever.

Just something, whatever, every day.

I like to putt on grass, a green, but do roll a few each day too on the carpet in the lounge room every day. I have 3 balls, and putt toward an old glass. I set up at 1m, 1.5m and 2m. I putt 1m ball first, 1.5m ball only IF the 1m goes in, then move to 2m. If I miss 1.5m, I go back to the 1m. Goal is 5 sets through to 2m. I usually get called for dinner, some chore, or other family commitment before I finish. But, even 5 putts is better than none!

Edit: oops, sorry, how long? Range is usually a large bucket, so an hour at least, can be a few hours if weekend or early work finish and I can't get on to play golf... But, I've also just used one club and grabbed a small bucket if limited time. I figure anything better than nothing as long as practise is with purpose and not just smashing golf balls out into the range for the hell of it!

Edited by hack2489, 26 March 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#20 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

I also hit the range one afternoon. I was very wayward but remembered something a teacher had told me years ago that had me leaving with a bit of confidence. He told me when I'm nearing the top of my backswing to stretch back, to really straighten out my left arm. I put it into practice and hit 90% of my remaining shots dead straight. I felt as if I could feel where the clubface was at address more, possibly because I was giving myself more time before the down swing started? Keen to get back to the range and see if that continues.

It didn't really work with the driver though, they were still a little wayward. Some work to do there.

I think it's important to know what you're working on, what you want to fix, and have some sort of plan as to what or how you're going to go about it...

Getting a lesson helps in that regard...

So too knowing your fault and what you're trying to fix.

I had huge "oh" and "ah ha" moments when, after having a few lessons and still not feeling like I knew what I was trying to do, I filmed myself at the range hitting a few shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users