Photo

Spring Valley Vs Cranbourne Or Elsewhere(Membership)?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

I've had almost 4 years not playing golf apart from the odd trip to the range, previously was a member at Cheltenham on and off since I was in primary school.

There were definitely times I considered leaving for a decent private course, that had better practice facilities and more than 9 holes, but it just never happened.

After a few years not playing, I'm considering other options, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 with SV probably leading but happy for any other suggestions.

In 2014 we decided to buy our first home in Carrum Downs, I wouldn't want to drive more than 30 minutes to play golf, which leaves plenty of options.

I have searched on here and other sites but most threads are years old, and personally I haven't played at any of these courses since 2013-2014, so unsure if much has changed condition wise, facilities etc.

I'm looking for a course with very good to excellent practice facilities, ideally a broad range of ages(my last year at Chelt there was only about 3 members aged between 20-40),well maintained w good drainage, and mostly a good track. Clubhouse facilities aren't a huge factor whatsoever.

Price is important, we're paying off a mortgage and I wouldn't want to be paying more than 4k subs. I'm 33 so some courses do have a discount u40, some not.

So it rules out a few better tracks like Commonwealth, Peninsula etc. I also wouldn't be considering close options like Rossdale, Patto River, Keysborough, Ranfurlie or Southern.

I live very close to Sandhurst which is great, I also like that there is a gym inc in the fees, but I find the courses quite bland and soulless as I find the whole place to be blunt, the practice facilities are only ok and at least in the past, year round playability was not always something Sandhurst could claim.

Cranbourne I have played a few times over the years, I find it a nice course but not memorable, I'm not sure how good the practice facilities are now I heard they had an upgrade. 

Spring Valley I've also played a few times, again I always found it a nice course but not really memorable, practice facilities were decent, the short game area and putting green very good, practice fairway fairly bland.

I guess they are all fairly similar cost wise, Cranbourne the cheapest then SV which still has a joining fee.

Anyone a member of these courses and have any input? Or is there other options that I may have missed that seem to fit the bill without going over budget?

Cheers.

Edited by ElHosel, 14 March 2018 - 08:51 PM.

#2 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

You're only 20 minutes from Devil Bend and Mornington.

#3 StewyGriffin

StewyGriffin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

Enter BeaconHills mafia

• Francie and Goldy like this

#4 koiom K Frenzy

koiom K Frenzy

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11343 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

I've only played Cranbourne and SV a couple of times each

Enjoyed both courses

Enjoyed SV more

Haven't used the practice facilities at either though.

If Keysie happened to fall off the face of the earth for some crazy reason, I'd seriously consider joining SV

• Francie and Goldy like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2012 Curlewis OOM#5 A Grade NTP
2013 Beaconhills Invitational Classic 3rd Place
2013 Stink 3 Club Challenge NAGA
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade NTP
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Moonah OOM#4 A Grade Runner Up
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner

2017 Overall All Grade OOM Runner Up

2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#5 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

You're only 20 minutes from Devil Bend and Mornington.

Of those 2 I had considered Mornington the better option, I like that they are investing in the club's future via their course masterplan, which may take a decade to be fully realized but it's a step in the right direction.

But both are open to the public which I'm just not looking for, I've spent years at Chelt struggling to get on the course at times due to that fact, and it's private or bust for me at this stage. 

• madness likes this

#6 Feebs

Feebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

I play at SV. They recently had an anniversary deal that meant no entrance fees. It has finished but I think you might be able to organise this if you ask nicely
  • ElHosel likes this

#7 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

I play at SV. They recently had an anniversary deal that meant no entrance fees. It has finished but I think you might be able to organise this if you ask nicely

Ahh right on, how do you enjoy it there? The main thing I've always heard about SV is the members are very friendly, was wondering how's the course condition been over summer?

Also do they still have the 2 practice fairways in action?

When I contacted the club they did offer to knock the joining fee down from $3k to $1k which is fair and reasonable I think.

#8 Feebs

Feebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

I'm an off peak member and play midweek, whereas you will obviously be playing more on weekends from what I can see. So I can't comment on when you will play, but I've been there for 3 years and enjoyed it very much.
I have recently played as a guest at two higher rated Melbourne courses and I was very disappointed with their conditioning. We did have a problem with some greens 12 months ago, and the first fairway was resown about 6 months ago but the fairways and greens have been excellent over this summer.
Yes there are two practice fairways.
  • ElHosel likes this

#9 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

SV is just ok imo.

Is it worth $4K a year??

Played it a couple of times but for me it just doesn't flow nicely from the front 9 to the back 9.

I rate the front 9 but I think the back 9 are rubbish.

This is of course just my opinion.

And I hate to admit it but SV's on course range is extremely poor in both space and condition. The range balls are some of the worse I've hit at a private club.

Cranny is a good little member's track, fun to play and their newish range is good

But I rate Keysie highly as the course layout suits my eye.

Anyhow good luck with whatever club you decide to join.
  • koiom K Frenzy and Itchy4Scratch like this

#10 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

Yeah I mean there are a few other clubs in the area around $3-4k, off the top of my head Keysborough, Sandhurst, Southern, Cranbourne. With some cheaper options that are either shite or poor condition for half the year. It's certainly the highest rated of those mentioned from a top 100 standpoint. So I guess is it worth it, if those 4 plus SV are similar annual subs then yeah.

There's a few that I would rather join like Commonwealth, Peninsula and Woodlands whose annual subs aren't much more, but have high to very high joining fee's and/or reduced playing rights for a period of time.

I don't share the same reservations re course quality/design, as for the range I haven't used it since we had pennant there back in 2013 or so, I didn't notice an issue with ball quality but that was awhile ago. I've never used the one down where the Titleist fitting centre is so can't comment on that.

I think the short game area is certainly very good, and better than any of the other courses within the price point.

Personally I think it's a better course than Cranbourne by a small margin, certainly better than Keysborough.

I've played at Keysborough plenty of times, I think it's an inoffensive enough course, nothing really special for me, condition has always been good, bunkers the only query. But the practice fairway has always been a non event, and the short game area, I mean the thing behind the range is simply subpar.

For the price I wouldn't consider it as being close as to SV as a total package.

• Feebs likes this

#11 Scratch64

Scratch64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Have you considered leasing a share at the National.

4 courses to choose from, superior practice facilities all courses ranked within the top 100
  • Goldy likes this

#12 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

Wouldn't the cost and/or availability and joining requirements be somewhat prohibitive?

#13 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Wouldn't the cost and/or availability and joining requirements be somewhat prohibitive?

Peninsula under 40 subs will be less than $4k or close to it

Joining fee you may find prohibitive

Nash will be over $4k

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#14 Feebs

Feebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

Have you made a decision?