#1 arkival

arkival

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Hi

I am using an M2 Irons set with a standard TaylorMade REAX shaft 55 - Flex M (graphite). I have this club for almost 2 years. I'm 13 years old with 8 handicaps, 164 cm height and 45 kg weight. My natural swing is a bit of draw.

My game lately for the last few months, I felt that the club is too light and the balls are spraying left/right (majority are right) especially for mid/long irons and hard to get straight now.

One day my friend's dad who an excellent golfer checked out my clubs and he said to me that he believes that I should get the regular steel shaft as the current one is too wobbly. 

So the other week my parent took me to the fitting golf shop for 30 minutes and we tried a 7 iron and a driver with different shafts. Comparing the distance, my club and steel shaft are pretty much the same. As this our first experience in club fitting so we didn't take any notice of numbers/stat ball speed etc and we didn't even look at much "off" the target. In the end, he advised me at this stage can't see any significant changes yet to upgrade the club.

Let assume my technique is correct and my club speed is faster than normal. Will my current graphite shaft pull to the right a lot? Will it changing to steel regular shaft make the ball much straighter? Is the weight of the club also affecting this?

I'm appreciated your feedback.

Thanks
Arki

Edited by arkivaldy, 14 March 2018 - 05:57 AM.

#2 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Welcome to the forum Arki.

When you get a chance, have a crack at telling us a bit more about yourself in here: http://forums.iseekg...63#entry1603776

As for your question about shaft etc. Maybe go to a different fitter. Where do you live? Blokes on here may be able recommend someone.

Edited by hack2489, 14 March 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#3 arkival

arkival

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:59 AM

Hi @hack2489 ... I live in Rosebery (Sydney), NSW

#4 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hi @hack2489 ... I live in Rosebery (Sydney), NSW

Hey champ, are you still getting golf lessons?

#5 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:10 AM

Quick Google search on your name, which is rather unique, shows up a young golf prodigy?

Interesting YouTube videos... You still playing piano?

Mate, be cyber safe and watch where you use your real name online. You can change your username in your profile on here.

Welcome to the forum. Be good to see you post up your games on here like you use to do on your blog...

Is a career as a touring golf pro still your goal?

#6 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41729 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:26 AM

A fitting that doesn’t even consider dispersion isn’t a fitting at all

Hopefully some of the Sydney guys can recommend a fitter to you because dispersion is more important than length
  • arkival likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#7 arkival

arkival

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

hi @hack2489 ... 

Yes ... I'm still getting golf lessons every 2 weeks or month with my coach.

Not sure about a young golf prodigy ... I'm just a normal player. I'm no longer playing the piano focusing more on golf. I will change the username - I'm newbie sorry :)

Well in regards to my goal, I love to become a touring golf pro someday but at the moment, I just want to lower my handicap to 5 possibly becoming a scratch player :)

Edited by arkival, 14 March 2018 - 06:44 AM.

• hack2489 likes this

#8 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

hi @hack2489 ...

Yes ... I'm still getting golf lessons every 2 weeks or month with my coach.

Not sure about a young golf prodigy ... I'm just a normal player. I'm no longer playing the piano focusing more on golf. I will change the username - I'm newbie sorry :)

Well in regards to my goal, I love to become a touring golf pro someday but at the moment, I just want to lower my handicap to 5 possibly becoming a scratch player :)

Don't be sorry champ, just be careful. Some weird people in the world, you have to watch what you share online.

I think you should ask your golf coach about your clubs. If he (she) is any good, they can do a club fitting assessment for you.

It sounds to me (keep in mind I'm a hack golfer) that you've developed strength and swing speed since you got the clubs and are now over loading the graphite shaft. That would cause the shaft to flex, so club head lagging more behind and so you are trying to compensate with your swing, which leads to inconsistent shots.

I'm sure as weeti said, someone on here can recommend a good club fitter for you.

Keep us posted with your progress... You'll see under the "playing the game" section of the forum here a few of us have a journal, journey, blog type thread where we post our progress etc. You should start one and keep us posted of your progress. You'll put a lot of us to shame, so expect some grumbling from the grumpy old blokes.

Enjoy your golf.
  • arkival likes this

#9 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9088 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi

I am using an M2 Irons set with a standard TaylorMade REAX shaft 55 - Flex M (graphite). I have this club for almost 2 years. I'm 13 years old with 8 handicaps, 164 cm height and 45 kg weight. My natural swing is a bit of draw.

My game lately for the last few months, I felt that the club is too light and the balls are spraying left/right (majority are right) especially for mid/long irons and hard to get straight now.

One day my friend's dad who an excellent golfer checked out my clubs and he said to me that he believes that I should get the regular steel shaft as the current one is too wobbly. 

So the other week my parent took me to the fitting golf shop for 30 minutes and we tried a 7 iron and a driver with different shafts. Comparing the distance, my club and steel shaft are pretty much the same. As this our first experience in club fitting so we didn't take any notice of numbers/stat ball speed etc and we didn't even look at much "off" the target. In the end, he advised me at this stage can't see any significant changes yet to upgrade the club.

Let assume my technique is correct and my club speed is faster than normal. Will my current graphite shaft pull to the right a lot? Will it changing to steel regular shaft make the ball much straighter? Is the weight of the club also affecting this?

I'm appreciated your feedback.

Thanks
Arki

dont guess or get wrong information on your clubs, what someone else uses might not be good for you as we all have different swing speeds, and load club differently.

I see you are in Sydney so Go and see  a few good custom fitters (there is one near airport in Mascot and another in Burwood), they can measure you  and fully assess your swing.

and fit you for your needs now and in future.

Plus you will gain a lot of insight into clubs and how the work etc.

as you are already starting to play good golf so worth understanding your equipment.

• hack2489 and arkival like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#10 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

13 and 8 handicap. Don’t like him much already!😄
Just kidding. Welcome Arkival.
Take everything everyone says here with a pinch of salt and don’t listen to any swing advice!😄
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#11 arkival

arkival

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

A fitting that doesn’t even consider dispersion isn’t a fitting at all

Hopefully some of the Sydney guys can recommend a fitter to you because dispersion is more important than length

Hi @Weetbix ... I assume that I just need to ask the fitter to look my "dispersion" shot meaning left/right/short/long, is that right? Is there any particular stat/indicator that I need to have a look?

Edited by arkival, 14 March 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#12 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Hi @Weetbix ... I assume that I just need to ask the fitter to look my "dispersion" shot meaning left/right/short/long, is that right? 

Hey Mate,

These guys are the best in Sydney.

http://www.coolclubsoz.com.au

They aren't cheap but you will learn a lot and get what you need.

Maybe start sucking up to your parents. :)

I wouldn't by my clubs from them as they are super expensive, but you can take your specs to somewhere else and get a good deal.

Good luck!

#13 arkival

arkival

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

dont guess or get wrong information on your clubs, what someone else uses might not be good for you as we all have different swing speeds, and load club differently.

I see you are in Sydney so Go and see  a few good custom fitters (there is one near airport in Mascot and another in Burwood), they can measure you  and fully assess your swing.

and fit you for your needs now and in future.

Plus you will gain a lot of insight into clubs and how the work etc.

as you are already starting to play good golf so worth understanding your equipment.

You are referring the one near the airport is PureForm golf. Correct?

#14 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17400 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Have the local pro at your club book you into the TaylorMade swing laboratory. It is free and they will recommend certain shafts that will help sort your game out.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#15 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2969 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

Buy as many sets of clubs with as many different shaft combinations as you can afford. Specially putters, you need at least 6 minimum so you can cycle through them.

• Bluethunda and bazinoz like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users