131 replies to this topic

#121 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:45 AM

See the new Interpretations (ie decisions).

https://www.dropbox....WCjbpdlkPa?dl=0

• languid and Forrest Gardener like this

#122 jeffw

jeffw

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

A word on the September 10 iSeekGolf email rules video about back-on-the-line relief - a detail is not quite right.

"Go back as far as you like and identify a spot on that line" is spot-on, but then:

"Measure or estimate a one club length wide relief area on either side of and behind that spot, then drop a ball in the relief area" is not correct.

You must drop within one club length of the "spot", not within a one club length wide swathe as implied in the text and video. The area within which you must drop is a semi-circle.

This applies for all "back on line" relief.

It changed between the Draft rules version put out for discussion last year and the final proof  released in March.

Personally, I preferred the swathe option. Don't know why they changed their minds.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and languid like this

#123 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24281 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:48 PM

I initially had trouble seeing the difference, then realised that the first description could be interpreted to mean a rectangular area.

It's all a bit silly. If you're going back along the line, why would you have to drop 'behind' the spot? Surely one would just pick a spot that is a little closer, then drop behind that.

There's no need to mark the spot. One just 'identifies' a spot and drops accordingly. Who would be so pedantic as to precisely mark a line, then a spot, then measure a semicircle with a club length radius?

It's usually more a case of 'about here seems right' and drop.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#124 Phil_Fan

Phil_Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe rolling Hills of Adelaide

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

I initially had trouble seeing the difference, then realised that the first description could be interpreted to mean a rectangular area.

It's all a bit silly. If you're going back along the line, why would you have to drop 'behind' the spot? Surely one would just pick a spot that is a little closer, then drop behind that.

There's no need to mark the spot. One just 'identifies' a spot and drops accordingly. Who would be so pedantic as to precisely mark a line, then a spot, then measure a semicircle with a club length radius?

It's usually more a case of 'about here seems right' and drop.

Is that because you didn't understand what a swathe was?

I think they need to ensure that the language used is easily understood by all levels of golfers with ranging levels on education.
  • Goldy likes this

Phil is my idol

#125 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

jeffw
I am guessing, but fairly confident, the reason for Club-Length instead of “swathe” is avoiding variations on measuring procedures. The Club-Length radius will be everywhere in the procedures for taking relief. Of course it has to be the longest club in your bag (except putter).
This homogenisation is evident in other places.
Example: now FREE relief requires the player to use the original ball in the drop unless impractical for example, Ball lost in GUR.
PENALTY relief allows the player to substitute another ball.
A complication for players to remember if they ever know it.
In 2019 you may ALWAYS substitute a ball in the drop. (Not if a redrop is required).
Another unnecessary complication going.
Hooray!
Another great example is Wrong Putting Green. Now relief only applies to Ball on the WPG. And when Relief is taken, with the original ball of course, complete relief is not required. Your stance can be on the WPG. UNIQUE,
In 2019 WPG Includes the stance to play a ball as well as where the ball lies, requires relief be taken. Then when Relief taken stance must be clear of WPG. And you may substitute another ball. All this points to removing variation in procedures.
Incidentally I think Lies after WPG Relief may get a bit tougher on average with the topography often faced near putting greens.

#126 jeffw

jeffw

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:01 AM

Sorry Gentlemen- swathe was my word, not in the Rules.

Old Bogey - I agree with you on defining a spot. You can choose any distance behind the original position of the ball, so why the need to define that arbitrary choice and tie the dropping area to it. And if you don't mark the chosen spot your first drop defines the spot. The whole thing complicates rather than simplifies the back-on-the-line procedure.

And Languid - the "swathe" originally proposed in the draft was one standard (ie your longest) club length each side of the line, still consistent with the new homogenisation, so I thought it was a pretty good idea. And there was no requirement to define a spot on the line. Similar procedure to the existing except you wouldn't have to drop right on the line. Seems to me that that would have been simpler and, in particular, better understood by the golfing cohort. The new procedure isn't terribly difficult and most will drop close to the line, hence legally, but few will appreciate the nuances (as evidenced by the video in question).

Good comments on the general homogenisation and WPG change.

But, notwithstanding the above, the Rules are written by those smarter and more knowledgeable than me and we only have to worry about what they are - not what we think they should be !

Has anyone read a rationale for this particular change? I've forgotten where to find the R&A explanations of the Rules changes but I'm not sure if this relatively minor one is in there anyway.

#127 jeffw

jeffw

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

Languid.

Re-reading your post I had overlooked the word "radius" and agree that the "swathe" concept may have been considered a unique departure from the very desirable standardisation of dropping procedures. That, then, probably necessitated definition of a spot as the reference point for one club length radius rather than one club length distance from a line.

I do like the way the 2019 Rules explicitly define a reference point for each procedure. I think it will help golfers' understanding of procedures even when they really haven't changed from the existing - assuming they do look at the new Rules !!??

#128 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:13 PM

jeffw,
Players are being given a decent amount of help by the Authorities. However the changes are considerable. A lot will be in the hands of the individual Clubs.
Proactive people keeping ahead of the game themselves will be vital.
I am trying to do my bit at my Club. Just as well I am keen and have time. It is demanding.
One thing that has helped is being asked to contribute to the weekly Club Newsletter. I have had something in the past 7. It is hard work. My contribution needs to correct as well as as interesting and relevant as I can do. It forces me to read the current and future Rules very carefully as there is still 4 months of 2016 Rules to go.
This week the Players Edition should be here. I have already revved up the members telling them how readable it is now in second Person. (I hope most members find it pretty good).
However I wonder what will happen.

#129 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24281 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

Is that because you didn't understand what a swathe was?
I think they need to ensure that the language used is easily understood by all levels of golfers with ranging levels on education.

I did understand "swathe" but was wondering how the actual words could be interpreted as a swathe when all drops refer to a radius.

I agree that all wording should be in simple terms so as to not confuse those with limited education.

It's smart play to use the rules to one's advantage where possible, but not to interpret wording to some unintended meaning.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#130 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38970 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

Damn the easily confused, poorly educated proletariat.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#131 jeffw

jeffw

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:26 PM

I did understand "swathe" but was wondering how the actual words could be interpreted as a swathe when all drops refer to a radius.

I agree that all wording should be in simple terms so as to not confuse those with limited education.

It's smart play to use the rules to one's advantage where possible, but not to interpret wording to some unintended meaning.

The 2019 Rules prescribe a one club length (CL) radius but a video published on iSeekGolf implied otherwise - that was the point I was making at the start.

In the 2017 draft of the new rules, the dropping area for back-on-the-line would have been a "swathe" (my choice of word) one CL each side of the line as far back as you wish - a looooong rectangular area - but that changed in the final Rules proof.

The video implied a rectangular area 2CL x 1CL.

Again, the Rules explicitly prescribe 1CB radius and the video was misinformation - that was the original point I was making.

But I just re-read my original post and I said "a one club length wide swathe" and should said 2CL wide - that probably contributed to the confusion.

I'll shut up now - time for my medication !!

#132 Sprtan52

Sprtan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSth East Melbourne

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

Damn the easily confused, poorly educated proletariat.

You rang?

• Goldy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users