Near enough is good enough, Monty.
There is no requirement to deliberately have a lie worse than what you had. Beside your divot is fine.
Yeah i must have missed the point in the new version of the rules that says this. So ignore everything I said (good rule in general probably).
b. Previous Stroke Made from General Area, Penalty Area or Bunker
The original ball or another ball must be dropped in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):
- Reference Point: The spot where the previous stroke was made (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).
- Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:
- Limits on Location of Relief Area:
- Must be in the same area of the course as the reference point, and
- Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point.
So yeah, all good to drop the ball of to the side or behind.
Edited by Monty85, 06 April 2018 - 01:27 PM.