Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

Near enough is good enough, Monty.

There is no requirement to deliberately have a lie worse than what you had. Beside your divot is fine.

Yeah i must have missed the point in the new version of the rules that says this. So ignore everything I said (good rule in general probably).

b. Previous Stroke Made from General Area, Penalty Area or Bunker

The original ball or another ball must be dropped in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):

• Reference Point: The spot where the previous stroke was made (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

• Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:

• Limits on Location of Relief Area:
    - Must be in the same area of the course as the reference point, and
    - Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point.

So yeah, all good to drop the ball of to the side or behind.

Edited by Monty85, 06 April 2018 - 01:27 PM.

| GolfLink 

#77 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:03 AM

A couple of items which I think are very important but do not seem to be in the published new rules.

Relying on player integrity.

A player's "reasonable judgement"when estimating or measuring a spot, point, line, area or distance will be upheld, even if video evidence later shows it to be wrong;

and elimination of announcement procedures when lifting a ball to identify it or to see if is damaged.

I found these elsewhere after a considerable effort, I am in the process of trying to inform our club members of important changes to the rules.

• Weetbix likes this

#78 Rogaman

Rogaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

Rule 4.1a.(3) states:

4.1  Use of Equipment

a.Allowed and Prohibited Uses of Equipment

(3) Information Gathered Before or During Round.

Not Allowed.

• Processing or interpreting playing information from the round (such as club recommendations based on current round distances), or
  • Using any physiological information recorded during the round.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who thinks they know what either (or both) of these provisions means.

Edited by Rogaman, 19 July 2018 - 09:58 AM.

#79 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

Rule 4.1a.(3) states:

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who thinks they know what either (or both) of these provisions means.

One of the brands has measuring devices fitted into the grips. You can also attach measuring devices to your wrists or shafts. Even the cheaper launch monitors can provide information about how you are swinging.

My interpretation is that you can't use these things (or a trackman) to analyse your swing during a round.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#80 Rogaman

Rogaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

One of the brands has measuring devices fitted into the grips. You can also attach measuring devices to your wrists or shafts. Even the cheaper launch monitors can provide information about how you are swinging.

My interpretation is that you can't use these things (or a trackman) to analyse your swing during a round.

Thanks Forrest

What about the physiological stuff?

Does this mean that one cannot wear a heart rate monitor just in case one could not feel how fast one's heart was beating when missing the last 1 metre putt?

#81 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Forrest

What about the physiological stuff?

Does this mean that one cannot wear a heart rate monitor just in case one could not feel how fast one's heart was beating when missing the last 1 metre putt?

This is just guesswork on my part but there are some pretty sophisticated measurement devices out there. I can imagine a scenario where a coach attaches a device to the player during training gives feedback about whether the player is achieving the objectives. The ones I know about are the vests and even electrodes which measure movement of the body during the swing and along the lines of your heart rate monitor the ones which measure mental factors to help make the decision about whether the player is ready to hit their shot.

In my opinion they mucked up on the long putter issue. Hopefully they'll get it right with the impact of technology on the game.

#82 Rogaman

Rogaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

This is just guesswork on my part but there are some pretty sophisticated measurement devices out there. I can imagine a scenario where a coach attaches a device to the player during training gives feedback about whether the player is achieving the objectives. The ones I know about are the vests and even electrodes which measure movement of the body during the swing and along the lines of your heart rate monitor the ones which measure mental factors to help make the decision about whether the player is ready to hit their shot.

In my opinion they mucked up on the long putter issue. Hopefully they'll get it right with the impact of technology on the game.

Thanks again Forrest ... I have no doubt that your guess is a lot better than mine.

As to the long putter ... I agree that it has been a fiasco from the beginning ... and it is about to get worse.

No doubt you are aware of the new 'anchoring' rule:

10.1 Making a Stroke

b. Anchoring the Club

In making a stroke, the player must not anchor the club, either:

• Directly, by holding the club or a gripping hand against any part of the body (except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm), or
  • Indirectly, through use of an “anchor point,” by holding a forearm against any part of the body to use a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club.

If the player’s club, gripping hand or forearm merely touches his or her body or clothing during the stroke, without being held against the body, there is no breach of this Rule.

For the purposes of this Rule, “forearm” means the part of the arm below the elbow joint and includes the wrist.

My response to this draft rule was:

The draft of this Rule is a good example of the sort of mess one can get into when, like playing the game itself, one compounds one’s errors – first allowing the long putter and then failing to ban it. A ‘swing’ with a long putter is not a golf swing and one finds oneself in the position of having to frame a regulation which is basically indecipherable, and will simply not be read. My advice is to keep it very simple; use the statement suggested and leave it up to the good sense of golfers to do what is required. Why the maximum length of a putter cannot be specified, as is the case for all other clubs, is beyond me! If it were, there would be no need for the verbal gymnastics of the proposed Rule.

I proposed that this rule should read:

It is not permitted to make a stroke when a hand gripping the club, or a forearm, is held against the body to establish an anchor point.

#83 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24098 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Interesting topic.

Information gathered BEFORE or during a round not allowed.
That would suggest that information as to how well you're hitting your drives on the practice range cannot be used. Surely that wasn't intended.

I understand the intention of not permitting use of readings obtained from new technological devices, without naming anything specific which could then allow new non-specified devices to be used. Disallowing, in principle.

As for Rogaman's proposed wording, that would not prevent anchoring of the end of a club, such as a belly putter. But yes, why not just limit the length of putters and let players use them however they like but with the current 'not standing on or astride the line of put'?
  • Forrest Gardener likes this

#84 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

No doubt you are aware of the new 'anchoring' rule:

I haven't gone through the new rules in any detail. I lost all interest when they started talking about no penalty under some rules if the player didn't mean to break the rule or words to that effect.

I agree with your comments and for the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't simply limit clubs with less than 4* loft to be no longer than 36 inches.

#85 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24098 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

I haven't gone through the new rules in any detail. I lost all interest when they started talking about no penalty under some rules if the player didn't mean to break the rule or words to that effect.I agree with your comments and for the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't simply limit clubs with less than 4* loft to be no longer than 36 inches.

That wouldn't work. Someone would just come out with a longer putter with 4.1° of loft. Everyone knows what a putter is, but it could be added to the definitions.

#86 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

The putter should be the shortest club in the bag, simples.

#87 Rogaman

Rogaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

OB and Forrest

Thanks for the comment OB, point taken.

The proposal should have been:

It is not permitted to make a stroke when the club, a hand gripping the club or a forearm is held against the body to establish an anchor point.

It is, of course, too late now as the die is cast and we have what we have for a long time to come.

As I said in my response, the provision is so complicated that people are likely to simply ignore it.

The pity is that there is so much faith in the new rules placed in the 'integrity' and 'reasonable judgement' of the player that placing the onus on the player to do the right thing in regard to anchoring the putter would not have been out of kilter.

#88 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

That wouldn't work. Someone would just come out with a longer putter with 4.1° of loft. Everyone knows what a putter is, but it could be added to the definitions.

Quite so. The 4* was my attempt to define a putter. How would you define a putter?

#89 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24098 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

Quite so. The 4* was my attempt to define a putter. How would you define a putter?

Perhaps 'a club commercially sold as a putter and designed to roll balls on the putting green'.

I'm sure a panel of experts could come up with something unambiguous.

Edited by OldBogey, 19 July 2018 - 11:39 PM.

#90 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:25 AM

Interesting topic.

Information gathered BEFORE or during a round not allowed.
That would suggest that information as to how well you're hitting your drives on the practice range cannot be used. Surely that wasn't intended.

No it wasn't what was intended, but what  Rogaman quoted isn't quite what the rule states - which is confusing.

"Information Gathered Before or During a Round is the section heading followed by two bullet-pointed sub-headings; Allowed and Not Allowed.  In full, it is quite clear.

I haven't been able to copy and paste it but wlil post an image later.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users