131 replies to this topic

#31 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

"minimum of knee height" might have been a better way to go about it. Keeps it friendly for those less flexible players and realistically, how much time does it actually take to re drop it a few times if it keeps rolling away.

Besides, the vast majority of players would opt for the lowest option anyway so the same result would be achieved regardless.

The intent of the modernized Rules was to eliminate the "drop, drop, place" procedure.  Placing a ball rather than dropping it is always an advantage.  If the Rule said that knee height was a minimum, players would be dropping from shoulder height to ensure that the ball rolled outside the permitted drop area and they would eventually get to place it.

• Monty85 likes this

#32 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

The intent of the modernized Rules was to eliminate the "drop, drop, place" procedure.  Placing a ball rather than dropping it is always an advantage.  If the Rule said that knee height was a minimum, players would be dropping from shoulder height to ensure that the ball rolled outside the permitted drop area and they would eventually get to place it.

That makes sense I guess.

Although i think if that's an issue for you it will remain an issue now even with knee height. Knee height will make it easier to drop right on the outer limit of the dropping area making it just as easy to get your drop, drop, place outcome.

If anything, it's probably easier to get a "place the ball" outcome with knee height. If your dropping on a hill in the old method, you had 2 club lengths to go before you had to re drop. Now if you're dropping on a hill you could easily ensure you get to place the ball every single time (by dropping right on the edge of the relief area).

| GolfLink 

#33 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24090 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Oops. I missed that too...

Oh well, still an advantage for the vertically challenged.

One of the guys in our club is about 4'6" tall.

His 'shoulder high' was around waist high for the rest of us.

• hack2489 likes this

#34 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Do I understand it correctly that the only specification for this new drop is "knee height".

So technically old mates could stay in their carts to take the drop?

Or lay down, sit down, crouch down, do a handstand, etc.

So all are ok as long as the ball is released from the predetermined height of "knee height while standing"?

| GolfLink 

#35 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5568 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

The question I've been wondering to myself recently is, are golf rules complicated because the game is complicated or are golf rules complicated because golfers are complicated?

• pom, Monty85 and MaxxOn like this

#36 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

The question I've been wondering to myself recently is, are golf rules complicated because the game is complicated or are golf rules complicated because golfers are complicated?

That's deep, man.
  • koiom K Frenzy and Itchy4Scratch like this

#37 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38685 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

The question I've been wondering to myself recently is, are golf rules complicated because the game is complicated or are golf rules complicated because golfers are morons?

FTFY

• MaxxOn, Itchy4Scratch and Sprtan52 like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#38 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24090 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

The rules have been made complicated because officials have, over the years, tried to stop players from interpreting the rules to their own advantage.

Take, for example, this discussion on drop height.  If the current detailed specification on how a ball is to be dropped was not there, just that the 'ball is to be dropped', most players would simply drop the ball from a comfortable height, probably around waist height, and play would continue without complication.  Sure, some people would drop from a greater height in a hope of subsequently getting to place it. Some would drop from a lower height hoping to hit the ideal spot.  But, mostly, it wouldn't make any significant difference and play would continue.  "But what if someone gets a 6 inch advantage, we'd better regulate against that !"  I would ask, why?  The chances of it actually making sufficient difference to save that player one stroke are minimal. His luck on the day has a much bigger influence on his score.

• 12shoc and Birdie Blitz like this

#39 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5568 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

FTFY

Exhibit A above
  • Goldy and MaxxOn like this

#40 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5568 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

That's deep, man.

Asking the tough questions as always
  • MaxxOn likes this

#41 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

See Monty's post above - your suggested method does not qualify as knee height.

Part of the Rules say that players need to do their best to comply with the Rules.  I think it's called integrity.

It's usually pretty obvious when a player is trying to abuse the Rules and s/he should be called on it.

In fact it is Rule 1.2a

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
a. Conduct Expected of All Players

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:
• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

There is no penalty under the Rules for failing to act in this way, except that the Committee may disqualify a player for acting contrary to the spirit of the game if it finds that the player has committed serious misconduct.

#42 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Take, for example, this discussion on drop height.  If the current detailed specification on how a ball is to be dropped was not there, just that the 'ball is to be dropped', most players would simply drop the ball from a comfortable height, probably around waist height, and play would continue without complication.  Sure, some people would drop from a greater height in a hope of subsequently getting to place it. Some would drop from a lower height hoping to hit the ideal spot.  But, mostly, it wouldn't make any significant difference and play would continue.  "But what if someone gets a 6 inch advantage, we'd better regulate against that !"  I would ask, why?  The chances of it actually making sufficient difference to save that player one stroke are minimal. His luck on the day has a much bigger influence on his score.

Have a look at the videos on the USGA website showing drops being made .

Edited by AAA, 16 March 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#43 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

The rules have been made complicated because officials have, over the years, tried to stop players from interpreting the rules to their own advantage.

You mean encouraging the them to play by the written rules? 

#44 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

You mean encouraging the them to play by the written rules? 

And Encouraging them to play to the same rules as the rest of the field.

The aim of the rules is to ensure that everyone is playing the same game. Not similar versions of the same game.

Edited by pom, 16 March 2018 - 06:33 PM.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#45 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

The aim of the rules is to ensure that everyone is playing the same game. Not similar versions of the same game.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users