#16 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

usually a ball enters a bunker with momentum and rolls onto a flattish lie.

Mine never seen too.

It's usually, almost like 99.9999% of the time, on the fly, on the full at a steep vertical decent and lands like a mini bomb. 

And.

Plugs or is buried more half the depth of the ball in more than 50% of the times I land in a bunker.

I get excited that the golfing gods have looked upon me, when, on the occasions it is not half buried.

Taking a 'drop' in a bunker and having it slightly bury would be a welcome relief.

• pom likes this

#17 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

You chose to play with them. You have no one to blame but yourself. I will not  say it but!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#18 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20125 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Mine never seen too.

It's usually, almost like 99.9999% of the time, on the fly, on the full at a steep vertical decent and lands like a mini bomb. 

And.

Plugs or is buried more half the depth of the ball in more than 50% of the times I land in a bunker.

I get excited that the golfing gods have looked upon me, when, on the occasions it is not half buried.

Taking a 'drop' in a bunker and having it slightly bury would be a welcome relief.

So your ball more often than not falls vertically from the sky with almost no forward momentum and plugs half the time?

#19 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

On dropping in bunkers, it is tough the way a Ball embeds usually to some extent from a shoulder height drop. I was looking forward to the low drop...only one inch minimum. There are reasons for abandoning the very low drop as a general rule. Knee height not a bad compromise generally.
I guess the RB’s did not want to add another exception.
The core problem is the poor bunker construction and maintenance that is widespread.
Good bunkers are an exception. You will find them in the sand belt in Victoria. The wealthier Clubs work out how to do a decent job at considerable cost and ongoing cost.
There’s is an outstanding article by Todd Lowe and Bob Vavrek in Green Section Record Vol.53 (10] June 5, 2015. I can’t copy the full address now but it starts
gsrpdf.lib.msu.edu/.
There is good knowledge in Australia too with AGCSA having good Technical People and others able to assist.
Living Turf, based in Sydney and Adelaide has a powerful team with lots a expertise. On this point I note Daryl Sellar Course Superintendent a time Glenelg for 18 years is joining the Adelaide based operation very shortly.(or has already). A lot of excellent bunkers there. I haven’t played there myself but the picture gallery shows beautifully constructed and properly maintained bunkers.
  • Madam likes this

#20 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:20 PM

Adding to above The Article is titled Managing Bunkers.

#21 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8566 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

You chose to play with them. You have no one to blame but yourself. I will not say it but!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've played 1 game with them....
Rest of the time I'm mowing shaking my head in disbelief

VTTP 006

Miracle

#22 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

So your ball more often than not falls vertically from the sky with almost no forward momentum and plugs half the time?

Yep.

A lot of people comment on how high my shots go ... so much so I think NASA would be proud.

Even on the green, more than 80% of the time my ball will be less than a metre from it's divot. On everything from 5 iron to wedges.

Good or bad I don't know. It's just the way it seems.

In fact, I was a bit unhappy with the new clubs due to the distance I was not getting from them. But, my coach, who was also the club fitter, reminded me that my old clubs had a lot of roll out. I went back and hit my old 5 iron along side my new 5 iron. Both, in my head as 150m club, for on course consistent play. Big difference was the new clubs, were landing at 155m and stopping dead. The old clubs were landing at about 145m and rolling out to 150 / 155m. 

I also noticed with the side by side comparison, the old clubs had a lower and flatter ball flight while the new clubs were higher and had a more vertical landing.

Good or bad I don't know?

#23 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5193 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

I’d say good.
  • hack2489 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#24 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

I'm pretty happy with most of the changes. While I'm not a fan of the 2 stroke penalty and dropping on a fairway local rule, I can live with it.

The one i don't really understand though is the knee dropping height. I don't get how that is supposed to be simpler than the old method? I liked the first revision of being able to drop it from "any" height as long as its above the ground when the ball is released. That made sense to me.

Now we have knee height? But doesn't that add more variables?

Can i bend my knees to reach down to knee height?

Do I have to keep my legs straight so that my knee height is actually consistent?

Can i squat so that my knee height is actually only about 10cm?

What about old guys with fused knees that can't actually get their hands to their knees from a standing position?

So some of these points i'm just playing Devils Advocate but i still think they have some validity and are worth considering. The older player who can't actually legally take this drop now especially (yes i know people who would fall in this category).

| GolfLink 

#25 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

So to answer my own question (I didn't realise the full version was available of the 2019 rules). You need to drop from a standing position.

But my concern about people who physically can't do that is still relevant I believe.

Sucks to be them I guess.

| GolfLink 

#26 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'm pretty happy with most of the changes. While I'm not a fan of the 2 stroke penalty and dropping on a fairway local rule, I can live with it.

The one i don't really understand though is the knee dropping height. I don't get how that is supposed to be simpler than the old method? I liked the first revision of being able to drop it from "any" height as long as its above the ground when the ball is released. That made sense to me.

Now we have knee height? But doesn't that add more variables?

Can i bend my knees to reach down to knee height?
Do I have to keep my legs straight so that my knee height is actually consistent?
Can i squat so that my knee height is actually only about 10cm?
What about old guys with fused knees that can't actually get their hands to their knees from a standing position?

So some of these points i'm just playing Devils Advocate but i still think they have some validity and are worth considering. The older player who can't actually legally take this drop now especially (yes i know people who would fall in this category).

And.

Let's be honest, players will push boundaries of the rules, like, as you say, from knee height, but if you bend your legs at the knees and squat to the ground, your dropping from knee height but much closer to the ground.

#27 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

So to answer my own question (I didn't realise the full version was available of the 2019 rules). You need to drop from a standing position.

But my concern about people who physically can't do that is still relevant I believe.

Sucks to be them I guess.

Oops. I missed that too...

Oh well, still an advantage for the vertically challenged.

#28 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

And.

Let's be honest, players will push boundaries of the rules, like, as you say, from knee height, but if you bend your legs at the knees and squat to the ground, your dropping from knee height but much closer to the ground.

Or do the splits. :P

The full version of the rules actually covered it though and "knee height" is determined as knee height from a standing position.

I still liked the any height rule better but this is ok - unless you have a bad back and can't physically reach your knees.

| GolfLink 

#29 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

And.

See Monty's post above - your suggested method does not qualify as knee height.

Part of the Rules say that players need to do their best to comply with the Rules.  I think it's called integrity.

It's usually pretty obvious when a player is trying to abuse the Rules and s/he should be called on it.

Edited by rogolf, 16 March 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#30 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

"minimum of knee height" might have been a better way to go about it. Keeps it friendly for those less flexible players and realistically, how much time does it actually take to re drop it a few times if it keeps rolling away.

Besides, the vast majority of players would opt for the lowest option anyway so the same result would be achieved regardless.

Edited by Monty85, 16 March 2018 - 10:01 AM.

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users