• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Mike Ando

Mike Ando

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for all of that re fairways etc we’ve been down most of those paths so will probobably sought it but a fairway sprinkler 150 metres away is sometimes hit - GA local rules allow clubs to make hitting guy wires etc ‘ball must be replayed’ - so why not a mobile sprinkler

#17 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14053 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for all of that re fairways etc we’ve been down most of those paths so will probobably sought it but a fairway sprinkler 150 metres away is sometimes hit - GA local rules allow clubs to make hitting guy wires etc ‘ball must be replayed’ - so why not a mobile sprinkler

Place the mobile sprinkler in the rough on the edge of the fairway.  Defines line for the rough as the pegs do now and if you hit it in the rough you get what you deserve from the bounce.  You don't get to replay a shot because it hits a tree in the rough. 

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#18 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

Replay for hitting guy wires is not a permitted local Rule.  Guy wires are not overhead power lines, nor are sprinklers, nor are stakes defining fairways.  While a local Rule for overhead power lines is permitted, a local Rule for guy wires, sprinklers and fairway stakes is not permitted.

#19 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

Place the mobile sprinkler in the rough on the edge of the fairway.  Defines line for the rough as the pegs do now and if you hit it in the rough you get what you deserve from the bounce.  You don't get to replay a shot because it hits a tree in the rough. 

Don't get a replay for hitting a tree in the fairway either, or any tree for that matter.

Edited by rogolf, 13 March 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#20 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14053 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Don't get a replay for hitting a tree in the fairway either, or any tree for that matter.

Very true, but trees don't water the fairways either.   Was just trying to give him an option that allows for both of his scenarios to be covered.  Sprinkler set to a 180 degree swing pattern just in the rough sort of covers that.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#21 Mike Ando

Mike Ando

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the those responses - and correction re guy wires - getting close to definitive decisions here re local rules and managing the course - R&A, GA and GWA communications cover everything but unreticulated country courses do throw up a few questions re legality of coping with abnormal local conditions -thanks again for all your responses

#22 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the those responses - and correction re guy wires - getting close to definitive decisions here re local rules and managing the course - R&A, GA and GWA communications cover everything but unreticulated country courses do throw up a few questions re legality of coping with abnormal local conditions -thanks again for all your responses

The R&A et al are pretty well aware of all the problems encountered around the world, which is why for extremely unusual local (ie course specific) situations they may and do authorise specific local rules on request.

Edited by AAA, 13 March 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#23 Mike Ando

Mike Ando

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

Thanks AAA

Cheers

#24 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

We held a provincial men's and women's championship (a major event in the province) at a course last summer that did not have in ground sprinklers.  There were sprinklers sticking above ground on all the fairways over the entire three days of the tournament.  There was never any thought by the Committee of a need for a replay should a ball strike a sprinkler, nor did any competitor ask about or expect this.  The Rules already deal with such an occurrence - it's called a rub of the green and the ball must be played from where it comes to rest.  A local Rule permitting a replay would not be permitted by the R&A.  Play the course as you find it.

#25 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:32 AM

"The R&A et al are pretty well aware of all the problems encountered around the world, which is why for extremely unusual local (ie course specific) situations they may and do authorise specific local rules on request."

When I wrote this I wasn't suggesting they would approve the sprinklers replay. In fact I reckon they wouldn't and shouldn't

#26 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Being a keen golfer and travelling widely in this brown land I am amused by some of the comments by so called experts on how we should play some of our country courses. We have courses that have no grass on the so called fairways, we also have dedicated members of very small clubs doing their best to keep their members playing. The open championship is never going to be played at these courses and with respect the R&A would not have a clue about some of the conditions experienced. So keep your local rules and keep enjoying your golf.

#27 Mike Ando

Mike Ando

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Larry2-with you there - just like to be playing by the rules and decisions if they are clear- bottom line is GA approval so no arguments - don’t like club officials making bum decisions because th ey haven’t bothered to ask around - enjoy reading all the responses - getting definitive answers from GWA and GA as we speak
Cheers
  • languid likes this

#28 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

I still cannot see a valid reason for this local rule regarding the sprinklers. surely they are not left in the middle of the fairway  when a competition is being played?

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#29 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17400 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

Well I guess they maybe left due to limited staff I.e 1 o2 at most???

Ando it’s always a battle with no fairway watering system in place. Just have to tolerate the edge being mowed differently at times. How many staff and volunteers help out?? If anything, a product like Basta applied to a small area where each peg is , will enable you to remove the pegs completely and give the staff a permanent guideline to use.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#30 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Well I guess they maybe left due to limited staff I.e 1 o2 at most???

Ando it’s always a battle with no fairway watering system in place. Just have to tolerate the edge being mowed differently at times. How many staff and volunteers help out?? If anything, a product like Basta applied to a small area where each peg is , will enable you to remove the pegs completely and give the staff a permanent guideline to use.

As I understand it these are sprinklers on stands that are moved around where needed to water the fairways. Surely if that is the case then they could be moved off the fairways prior to competition days. Lets be honest here. You can also hit sprinkler heads in the fairway and you do not always get good bounces when you do so.

I imagine that this is a small country course with not very many members and difficult to get jobs done but even so surely someone has to set the course for competitions.

A permenant mark on the ground rather than pegs, as you suggested, would have to be an improvement & probably less labor intensive.

Edited by pom, 14 March 2018 - 07:14 PM.

• Bluethunda likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users