Photo

Has There Been Any Significant Distance Gains In Forged Iron Heads In The Last Decade?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

A simple question could get a simple answer of yes/no/maybe but I'll give some background. I've had a set of Mizuno MP-30's for quite some time, they're a nice club but getting quite old, about 4 years ago in my search to add some much needed distance I purchased a set of Speedblade irons.

Why the bulky distance cast iron head? Because I've played off anywhere from +1 out to 3 for most of my adult life, and as someone who doesn't hit it very long but probably maxes out my efficiency/smash factor(for example driver speed is about 93mph, distance with roll around 240m on average) I was after a set of irons that could give me a nice height and spin rate whilst going further.

Obviously yes the Speedblades have very strong lofts for example the 6 iron sits at 26.5, whilst the Mizzy is at 30.

However they both have the exact same shafts, DGR300, and yet the Speedblade 6 iron carry distance is equivalent or even longer than the Mizuno 4 iron(which is actually 2.5 degrees stronger). So maybe the speed pocket isn't just mumbo jumbo as many people claim.

So that tells me not only are the TM irons longer, with better height, they outperform stronger lofted Mp 30's, in distance, height, spin and forgiveness. I was fitted for both sets, they are both the same length and both sit 1* flat.

However they are prone to at times really go bang, and fly up to 15m longer than usual, which as you can imagine is less than ideal, whilst the Mizuno's are just bang on for consistent distance, albeit short, every time, obviously they feel much better.

Now I haven't played in about 3 years, and am about to get back into it, what I would like is a set of forged irons, that can offer better distance, as the MP-30's are really a handicap in themselves, particularly on longer courses due to the really horrible carry distances. So has forged clubhead technology improved since they were made, to the point where I could absolutely see a difference, or would the latest greatest forged irons just simply be more of the same.

Apologies for such a long winded question, but I guess once I start thinking about golf I get a bit carried away.

Cheers.

• Madam likes this

#2 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

In my humble opinion, once you’ve used Mizuno, nothing else compares. I’ve used Mizuno forged irons for the last 20 years - MP33s, 30s, 32s, 60s, And now I have a set of MP-H4s (2-PW), and MP5s in 7-PW. Both sets have Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff shafts; 0.5 inch longer and 2* upright; except the MP-H4 2 iron, which has a Mitsubishi Diamana 82HY Stiff shaft. I’ve been down to 6; currently off 10.

As you said, the consistency of the Mizuno irons is unrivaled. Like you, I have been fitted for all these sets, so I know what to expect performance-wise. To a bloke off your handicap, I’d imagine you haven’t got to +1 with poor distance control, so I would stick with the Mizzies - you know exactly what you’re getting. On a side note, the 2 iron is probably the most superb iron I’ve ever used. Then again, it doesn’t get much better than one out of the middle with the MP5s.

Edited by chevychase, 11 March 2018 - 02:36 PM.

Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: TaylorMade TP5

#3 Fatprick

Fatprick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19729 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

There are a fucktonne of good forged irons out there these days and plenty of good shaft options.

Just get out there and try some.
  • TheTrueReview, Goldy, koiom K Frenzy and 1 other like this

#4 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13548 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

What’s more important nowadays? Heads or the shafts?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#5 Fatprick

Fatprick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19729 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Ink can help.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23694 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Is that a question for the knock shop?

#7 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

At the premium end of the market, there’s not too much difference between the forged iron heads of Mizuno, Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, PXG etc. This is where the choice of shaft is crucial and how important it is to get fitted.
  • Joe79 likes this
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts

#8 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13548 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

At the premium end of the market, there’s not too much difference between the forged iron heads of Mizuno, Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, PXG etc. This is where the choice of shaft is crucial and how important it is to get fitted.

the shaft is what you feel In the hands so seems like shaft most important.
  • chevychase likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

I went from Mizuno tour super 11 blades to Epon AF tour blades about 5 years ago Both Jap made Both forged. The Epons S20C carbon steel were stand out better but saying that I put KBS 90 tour shafts in the Epons, so really, it just could have been the shafts. 

​I would recommend if you know anybody with Epon forged by Endo try them out.

You could offer me a swap for any irons out there and the answer would be NO 

• Madam and TheTrueReview like this

#10 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2316 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

PXG are really onto something but not cheap. Their forged heads are revolutionary and the weighting system is second to none.

The correct shaft choice is paramount to give you the right spin rates and launch trajectory.

The super strong modern lofts might be to your liking but make sure that they are manageable. 

The bounce and grind is something that you will have to consider if planning on going more loft during the summer months.

Jon...    

• chevychase likes this

#11 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

PXG are really onto something but not cheap. Their forged heads are revolutionary and the weighting system is second to none.

The correct shaft choice is paramount to give you the right spin rates and launch trajectory.
The super strong modern lofts might be to your liking but make sure that they are manageable. 
The bounce and grind is something that you will have to consider if planning on going more loft during the summer months.

Jon...

I had a hit of the PXG311F at Pureform. They felt superb but they are very, very expensive. You’re looking at close to 3 grand for 3-PW. I’ll stick with my Mizunos until I win lotto.

#12 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

Hi Jon, I have actually been in to see you a few times over the years to have new shafts put in my driver/hybrid/irons plus the usual lie/lofts including on the MP-30's a few years back.You've always done great work.

Just curious have you(or any other people) had any experience or feedback with the Titleist irons that seem to be somewhat similar to the PXG's, I think they are TMB's?

#13 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

These ones 

Attached Files

• chevychase and ElHosel like this

#14 ElHosel

ElHosel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

I only just found the T MB's are not forged, could swear I read a review stating they were "Japanese Forged". So I guess that's them out.

The only other ones I've heard that are a forged head that produce decent distance numbers for most are the TM P790's, which aren't even fully forged, but enough I assume to bend them 2* flat.

As is often the case with many of this new niche distance player iron, which if I'm being honest I don't know if I totally buy into, given they often achieve decent launch/height numbers the spin numbers are way too low.

So what separates the PXG's from say a Mizuno/Titleist/Callaway blade, other than price of course?

#15 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12889 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Paige Spirinac endorsement

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner