#46 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24295 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

Some people, who know the rules well, wonder why the average Joe has any difficulty understanding the complexities.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#47 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9159 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

This may or may not have some relevance tomorrow. For me. Maybe my group. Have Mercy.

Hey Mick.

all good.. just make sure you bring an old ball for the tee shot on the island hole.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#48 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2493 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Goldy, even if you or someone else finds the first ball within the 5 minutes allowed it's still your decision to identify it.

The subsequent balls that have been put into play are irrelevant until this point, whether you called them provisional or not.

From this point ( not identifying your original ball ) it is now about how you substituted extra balls into play or where you have played them from that will determine which ball is in play.

The external parts of this rule are where, when and how you have played the substituted ball or balls into play.

The process and steps involved are fairly straight forward. Unless you then played a wrong ball that you think is one of your substituted balls in play and a playing partner has picked up a ball that could have been used and you end up having to go back to the tee and still could have played the first provisional ball, in equity.

Long story :)

Jon...    

• Goldy likes this

#49 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14383 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Hey Mick.
all good.. just make sure you bring an old ball for the tee shot on the island hole.

7w of goodness and a brand new Vision Blue. 3/4.
  • Bluethunda likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#50 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

No. clarhamp gives us the rule but in essence only the first provisional is lost.

The second provisional is only a provisional for the first provisional. The original is still the original ball in play.

AS described the third ball was hit purely to take the original ball out of play should someone look for it. there was no suggestion that the provisional ball may be lost. Sounds like a crazy idea I know but that was the question as I read it.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#51 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3095 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

AS described the third ball was hit purely to take the original ball out of play should someone look for it. there was no suggestion that the provisional ball may be lost. Sounds like a crazy idea I know but that was the question as I read it.

Did tou see my correction to that post. I mis-described the third ball as a provisional

But Dec 27-2a/4 confirms that it doesn't matter. The OB remains in play. The third ball bears a relationship only to the previous ball played, i.e., the provisional ball

Edited by AAA, 11 March 2018 - 06:12 PM.

#52 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:12 AM

Goldy, even if you or someone else finds the first ball within the 5 minutes allowed it's still your decision to identify it.

Most committees would DQ you:

27/13

Refusal to Identify Ball

Q.A player purposely refuses to identify a ball as his. What can the opponent or a fellow-competitor do in such a case?

A.An opponent or fellow-competitor has the right to be satisfied about the identification of a player's ball.

If a player has dishonestly not identified his ball, the opponent or fellow-competitor may refer the dispute to the Committee (Rule 34-3). In such a case, the Committee would be justified in imposing a penalty of disqualification under Rule 33-7.

Jon...    

#53 Ink🐾

Ink🐾

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35454 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

Hey Goldy... did you get an answer.. I might be a contender for the scenario today, albeit it's stab... so I should just pickup after the fouth from the tee.
  • iRON MiCK, Goldy and Hokey Pokey like this

#54 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

You are required to state clearly your intention if you intend to play a Provisional Ball.
By contrast do not have to say “it IS NOT a Provisional Ball” if you want to abandon the original Ball.
Just hit the second ball and the original is “lost”.

#55 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Did tou see my correction to that post. I mis-described the third ball as a provisional

But Dec 27-2a/4 confirms that it doesn't matter. The OB remains in play. The third ball bears a relationship only to the previous ball played, i.e., the provisional ball

Still struggling with that. However I am still struggling with the jdea of hitting a 3rd ball simply to take the original ball out of play ( which apparently it does not).Simple threaten fellow competitors with dire physical injury if they look for and find the original ball. :P :P

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#56 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

I confused all of my playing partners today.  While otherwise playing quite well, on the number 1 rated hole I chunked my tee shot into the hazard in front of the tee.  Knowing that the ball would be playable but unlikely to be able to be advanced, I played a second from the tee (hitting three), didn't declare it provisional and promptly chunked that one into the hazard as well.  Now with no chance of scoring, I picked up.  My playing partners were bewildered because my first ball could be found and played, and they couldn't understand why I wasn't going to play it.

• Joe79 likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#57 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20359 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

I confused all of my playing partners today.  While otherwise playing quite well, on the number 1 rated hole I chunked my tee shot into the hazard in front of the tee.  Knowing that the ball would be playable but unlikely to be able to be advanced, I played a second from the tee (hitting three), didn't declare it provisional and promptly chunked that one into the hazard as well.  Now with no chance of scoring, I picked up.  My playing partners were bewildered because my first ball could be found and played, and they couldn't understand why I wasn't going to play it.

Chopper. :)

#58 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4626 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:41 PM

Chopper. :)

You betcha.  37 points including that wipe.  If I had have been able to hit the ball of that tee I might have managed a real score.

• languid and Hokey Pokey like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users