#1 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38386 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

Question...when teeing off, can you decide to play a second ball off the tee, declaring it to be the ball in play...therefore even if the first ball is found (or for that matter, in the middle of the fairway), it is the second ball that is in fact the ball in play.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#2 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17320 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

Yes
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#3 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9005 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

Question...when teeing off, can you decide to play a second ball off the tee, declaring it to be the ball in play...therefore even if the first ball is found (or for that matter, in the middle of the fairway), it is the second ball that is in fact the ball in play.

Usually one would play a provisional if first ball could be probably lost,but must  declare it a provisional before put into play.

If find first ball then it is in play and pick up provisional.

If dont find first one the provisional becomes ball in play and its 3 off the T

If however you declare the first ball lost and you tee off with another ball as suggested above, the second ball is 3 off T.

and wouldn't even bother to look for first one.

Also if you hit a good one with the provisional you are not compelled to look for first one, as it could be worse if find it. The player is the one who can declare the ball lost.

The rules guru's will jump on and explain which rule applies.

• mrbluu likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38386 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Usually one would play a provisional if first ball could be probably lost,but must  declare it a provisional before put into play.

If find first ball then it is in play and pick up provisional.

If dont find first one the provisional becomes ball in play and its 3 off the T

If however you declare the first ball lost and you tee off with another ball as suggested above, the second ball is 3 off T.

and wouldn't even bother to look for first one.

Also if you hit a good one with the provisional you are not compelled to look for first one, as it could be worse if find it. The player is the one who can declare the ball lost.

The rules guru's will jump on and explain which rule applies.

Ok...another scenario...and I'd still like the gurus to answer the original question...

You tee off. You play a provisional. You decide you want to use the provisional...essentially as you described...don't look for the first one. One of your playing partners finds the first one...despite you not looking..or not wanting it looked for. My assumption is that once found, the first ball has to be played. Correct?

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Goldlink

#5 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38386 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

The difference between my original question and the second scenario...my assumption is that you can play as many off the tee as you like, and declare them all in play...therefore, the last of those that you hit (in the original post, the second ball off the tee) is in fact the ball in play, regardless of the first ball.

In the second scenario, the first ball if found would be in play, as you played a provisional with your second, not a ball that you had declared to be in play.

Are these the correct interpretations?

Goldlink

#6 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20126 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

[attachment=8349:IMG_0612.PNG]

#7 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38386 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

So 27.1 applies to the first case...in other words, you can play as many as you like off the tee, clearly with penalty of a stroke and distance? This was my assumption.

In a 3rd scenario...an extension of scenario 2 - you play the original tee shot, then a provisional...want to abandon the original but it is found. I assume you could therefore go back to the tee and play another tee shot, which would be shot #3, and the ball in play...correct?

• pom likes this

Goldlink

#8 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10165 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Cue random responses where fact is a non active bystander.
  • Schmuck, Goldy and MaxxOn like this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#9 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20126 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

With the risk of getting shouted down this is my understanding.

You can't declare a ball lost.

You can decide not to look for your original ball but if someone else goes looking for your original ball and finds it within five minutes then the original ball is in play

Happy to be corrected and probably will be. :)

Edited by FNQ, 10 March 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#10 The good Egg

The good Egg

oh!! that lady swallowed a baby!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8061 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

You off the drink Goldy!!!!
  • Schmuck, Goldy, ink and 1 other like this

#11 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38386 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

With the risk of getting shouted down this is my understanding.

You can't declare a ball lost.

You can decide not to look for your original ball but if someone else goes looking for your original ball and finds it within five minutes then the original ball is in play

Happy to be corrected and probably will be. :)

Wouldn't this fly in the face of 27.1...at the penalty of stroke and distance, you can play another ball from the tee. Therefore...the first ball could be anywhere...other than in the hole...as the hole would be completed....and you can play another off the tee, not as a provisional, but as the ball in play?

And yes Doc...I clearly need to up the alcohol intake.

Goldlink

#12 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20126 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

- you play the original tee shot, then a provisional...want to abandon the original but it is found. I assume you could therefore go back to the tee and play another tee shot, which would be shot #3, and the ball in play...correct?

Correct, I think, so probably wrong.

#13 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20126 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

Wouldn't this fly in the face of 27.1...at the penalty of stroke and distance, you can play another ball from the tee. Therefore...the first ball could be anywhere...other than in the hole...as the hole would be completed....and you can play another off the tee, not as a provisional, but as the ball in play?

And yes Doc...I clearly need to up the alcohol intake.

I now remember why I don't usually come in here.
  • RobNewy and Goldy like this

#14 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38386 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

I now remember why I don't usually come in here.

We all do.

• MaxxOn likes this

Goldlink

#15 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9005 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

I found this under a rules section on Mr Google:

The definition of ‘Lost Ball’ lists the only circumstances under which a ball can be lost;

"A ball is deemed 'lost' if:
a. It is not found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it; or
b. The player has made a stroke at a provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place (see Rule 27-2b); or
c. The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 27-1a); or
d. The player has put another ball into play because it is known or virtually certain that the ball, which has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (see Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (see Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (see Rule 25-1c) or is in a water hazard (see Rule 26-1); or
e. The player has made a stroke at a substituted ball.
Time spent in playing a wrong ball is not counted in the five-minute period allowed for search."

Of course, the correct thing to do if you definitely do not want to search for your original ball is to put another ball into play as quickly as possible, without declaring it as a provisional ball. Remember that on the teeing ground you have to wait until all the players in the group have played before you play your second ball from the tee.

Once you have made a stroke at another ball, under penalty of stroke and distance, it does not matter if your original ball is then found, as it is no longer the ball in play.

This seems to be what you did ie not declaring second a provisional.

Edited by Can Break 80, 10 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users