#1 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:14 AM

Please understand, this is genuine and NOT to start a shi.t storm...

But.

This latest Bump n Tol thing reminded me of research I had read about the benefits of online communities, or forums, like this one.

They are, and can be, a useful tool in helping people to remain connected, and with that, are, despite what some may think, good for mental health.

"... engagement with online discussion forums can have underappreciated benefits for users’ well-being..."

From here: https://www.scienced...74756321500268X

Yes, there can be downsides. Yes, keyboard warriors and trolls and bullying exist. But, that happens offline too.

So, just remember that while all the stirring, pi.sstaking and general shenanigans go down, going one step too far could lead to someone no longer having an outlet, a community, a connection that was, is and could be good for them.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Toph and Mrs Chook Norris like this

#2 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

There may well be benefits from engaging in online forums but unfortunately there is a much darker side. On-line bullying has serious consequences, mostly amongst the younger generation, but not solely.

Yes the stirring and Piss-taking can be very funny but again some people do not seem to know where to stop. This is where the forum Admins need to step in and say Enough is enough.

I have seen new members post on this site and because of a couple of misplaced words they have been hammered by a number of people here that want to take the piss out of all and sundrie regardless of whether they know the person or not.There will always be individuals that push the boundaries. It is human nature. That is why we need Rules Officials & Police & Forum admins.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#3 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14933 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

There may well be benefits from engaging in online forums but unfortunately there is a much darker side. On-line bullying has serious consequences, mostly amongst the younger generation, but not solely.
Yes the stirring and Piss-taking can be very funny but again some people do not seem to know where to stop. This is where the forum Admins need to step in and say Enough is enough.
I have seen new members post on this site and because of a couple of misplaced words they have been hammered by a number of people here that want to take the piss out of all and sundrie regardless of whether they know the person or not.There will always be individuals that push the boundaries. It is human nature. That is why we need Rules Officials & Police & Forum admins.

It’s also why communities have Neighbourhood Watch programs as well.something not right it gets reported

Never happens here.

This current issue had more backstory than what people know or need to know.

Iturf was spot on about how many of us know each other in real life and it’s a different understanding on bagging each other.

Hack. You have settled in here very well as a few others have in recent year. And then others don’t settle in or do they not fit in?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#4 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hack. You have settled in here very well as a few others have in recent year. And then others don’t settle in or do they not fit in?

Joining in here, or other online communities, forums, Facebook groups, etc. Is, IMHO, like walking into a pub and looking to join a conversation.

Do you just walk in, walk up, and start chatting away, being a smart a.rse or trying to get "in" on the "in jokes"? Or, for that matter, start a controversial topic conversation?

I think new comers need welcoming, and an invitation to join the "group". Whether that's by admin / mods, or a few regulars. Give them time to settle in, before taking the Micky, or sledging, or whatever.

But, equally the new comer needs to look n listen a bit and treat it like they walked into a pub.
  • pom, CaNadiAn MiCk, Joe79 and 1 other like this

#5 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:40 AM

Exactly. We don't need to know.

My OP disclaimer about this issue is key here. Let's forget the detail of this latest incident, but debate, discuss, focus on how as an online community we can all help each other, and all benefit.
  • pom likes this

#6 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Social media, online communities, forums, Facebook groups, whatever tend to magnify the bad, unfortunately.

And, without the benefit of tone, vocal and non verbal communication cues, the written word, message, can be so easily confused, misread.

What's that old saying?

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I mean"
  • pom, CaNadiAn MiCk and Toph like this

#7 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20442 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

I've met a lot of guys from here and they are all karnts.
  • *Mouldy, 2Putts, iRON MiCK and 2 others like this

#8 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14933 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

the feeling is mutual I’m sure.
  • RobNewy, Hokey Pokey and Mr Potato Head like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14933 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Joining in here, or other online communities, forums, Facebook groups, etc. Is, IMHO, like walking into a pub and looking to join a conversation.

Do you just walk in, walk up, and start chatting away, being a smart a.rse or trying to get "in" on the "in jokes"? Or, for that matter, start a controversial topic conversation?

I think new comers need welcoming, and an invitation to join the "group". Whether that's by admin / mods, or a few regulars. Give them time to settle in, before taking the Micky, or sledging, or whatever.

But, equally the new comer needs to look n listen a bit and treat it like they walked into a pub.

a perfect analogy which I’ve always held same view for our community. Many of us have made great lifelong friends on here, myself included.

When times have gotten tough for a few of us on here the community came together and helped out.

Several have opened up on here about personal circumstances that brought people together and showed how similar we are in many ways. Unfortunately as In any society there will be differing opinions, beliefs and personalities that just don’t get along. Usually though in society you simply steer clear of each other but not on here they tend to butt heads.

The written word comment you reference is so true. I find it very difficult not discern at times when it’s in jest (most of the time) and when it may be something actually serious.

We are all adults here. If someone feels like they may be getting bullied then report it as well.
  • RobNewy and Joe79 like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24394 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

This fairly typical of a Maxx comment.  Guys like that are always rude and obnoxious.  You meet them in pubs, too.  Always have something to say, but not really contributing to the overall conversation.  Yes, on odd occasions, they're funny, but usually barely raise a groan.

All part of the community, whether online, in the pub or at the club.  You don't have to associate closely with them, even though you can hear them.

Not the sort of person I'd choose to have a beer with, but that's not to say that others feel the same.

We are all different, with different viewpoints and tastes.  If you choose not to converse with some other individuals, you don't have to.

In a written forum like this, it can be hard to know the difference between a harmless sledge and a cutting insult.  Often, the only difference is in how the recipient takes it.  Like so many others, I've had a few adverse reactions to comments I've made when I didn't intend to be hurtful.  That also applies when we gang up on somebody.

So, I try and apply a filter to what I say: if I wouldn't say it to your face while we're having a drink, perhaps I shouldn't say it at all.  That filter may get a rose tint at times, depending on how many drinks I've had, but I try and remain sensible.

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Francie like this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#11 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20442 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

This fairly typical of a Maxx comment.  Guys like that are always rude and obnoxious.  You meet them in pubs, too.  Always have something to say, but not really contributing to the overall conversation.  Yes, on odd occasions, they're funny, but usually barely raise a groan.

All part of the community, whether online, in the pub or at the club.  You don't have to associate closely with them, even though you can hear them.

Not the sort of person I'd choose to have a beer with, but that's not to say that others feel the same.

We are all different, with different viewpoints and tastes.  If you choose not to converse with some other individuals, you don't have to.

In a written forum like this, it can be hard to know the difference between a harmless sledge and a cutting insult.  Often, the only difference is in how the recipient takes it.  Like so many others, I've had a few adverse reactions to comments I've made when I didn't intend to be hurtful.  That also applies when we gang up on somebody.

So, I try and apply a filter to what I say: if I wouldn't say it to your face while we're having a drink, perhaps I shouldn't say it at all.  That filter may get a rose tint at times, depending on how many drinks I've had, but I try and remain sensible.

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole.

Sweet, say hi to Voldemort for me.

Cats are farked!

• iRON MiCK and Goldy like this

#12 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

It’s also why communities have Neighbourhood Watch programs as well.something not right it gets reported

Never happens here.

Iturf was spot on about how many of us know each other in real life and it’s a different understanding on bagging each other.

I have no idea what happened in the lead up to this current incident and have no wish to learn. What I do know is thatv  at least one phrase in the thread that has been deleted dealt with a members private life and should never have been posted.

Of course there will be people that do not fit into the I Seek group. There are others that come on the site purely for the purpose of stirring up trouble and then disappear again.And yet others that put posts on here only to be hammered with smartass remarks that drive them away again.

Basically as members of this forum ( or any other for that matter ) we need to put a filter on what we say. If you would not say something to the persons face don't post it.. If you cannot get your point across without using insulting comments don't bother.By all means stir the #$%^ with members that you know but leave the newbies alone until you get to know them. Differences of opinion are fine we all have our own opinions on things. That does not however give us the right to ram those opinions down other peoples throats.

Basically treat other people as you would have them treat you.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Joe79 like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#13 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14933 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

I have no idea what happened in the lead up to this current incident and have no wish to learn. What I do know is thatv at least one phrase in the thread that has been deleted dealt with a members private life and should never have been posted.
Of course there will be people that do not fit into the I Seek group. There are others that come on the site purely for the purpose of stirring up trouble and then disappear again.And yet others that put posts on here only to be hammered with smartass remarks that drive them away again.
Basically as members of this forum ( or any other for that matter ) we need to put a filter on what we say. If you would not say something to the persons face don't post it.. If you cannot get your point across without using insulting comments don't bother.By all means stir the #$%^ with members that you know but leave the newbies alone until you get to know them. Differences of opinion are fine we all have our own opinions on things. That does not however give us the right to ram those opinions down other peoples throats.
Basically treat other people as you would have them treat you.

fully agree Pom

That post you reference I missed completely or didn’t realise the context.

It’s old news now we are moving on.
  • Joe79 likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#14 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

There is an ignore button in your profile. Use it and you don't need to read the post/s you don't want to.

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#15 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20442 posts
  • Location.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

There is an ignore button in your profile. Use it and you don't need to read the post/s you don't want to.

You unblocked me yet?
  • Bluethunda and koiom K. Asterisk* like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users