26 replies to this topic

#16 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

Gardners Run is a good example. Find out who did that.

GR is the perfect course if you just want to feather your handicap and bring it down 25%, will create a real sense of achievement without having to do much to your game. 

One of the easiest rated courses in Vic. if not the whole country !

Jon... 

#17 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

GR is the perfect course if you just want to feather your handicap and bring it down 25%, will create a real sense of achievement without having to do much to your game. 
Jon...

Is that where *mouldy plays??
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#18 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17592 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Is that where *mouldy plays??

Very harsh son. I play at Keysborough which just sneaks into Australia's top 100 but is significantly better than many above it. Especially, in terms of conditioning.
  • Bluethunda likes this
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#19 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

Sorry Da

#20 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2320 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

Very harsh son. I play at Keysborough which just sneaks into Australia's top 100 but is significantly better than many above it. Especially, in terms of conditioning.

Except for the 7th green complex which remains a problem according to the majority of members ?

Some interesting rumors being floated about KGC and it's move or lack of by this coming Xmas.

Seems the planning of a revamp of the mens and womens locker rooms, as well as the proshop with an upgrade to the current members lounge and bar have been more than just small talk, lately !

Jon...  :)

#21 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17592 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Except for the 7th green complex which remains a problem according to the majority of members ?

Some interesting rumors being floated about KGC and it's move or lack of by this coming Xmas.
Seems the planning of a revamp of the mens and womens locker rooms, as well as the proshop with an upgrade to the current members lounge and bar have been more than just small talk, lately !

Jon...  :)

That sounds great. Would find it hard to find any members who want to move.
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#22 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

I'll offer an out of left field idea

How about a course that has a scratch rating of par off the whites but a slope of 100 - so it's easy for the higher handicappers relative to the low cappers - and a good challenge for the low cappers

Marrickville in Sydney. Par 60, Scratch rating 60, slope 99.

edit: I just noticed Randwick in Sydney and Russell Vale south of Sydney Par 59, Scr Rtg 60, slope 93.

They are tough courses for good players but easy for the choppers.

Edited by Rodent, 06 March 2018 - 05:37 PM.

• Weetbix and madness like this

#23 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

Marrickville in Sydney. Par 60, Scratch rating 60, slope 99.

edit: I just noticed Randwick in Sydney and Russell Vale south of Sydney Par 59, Scr Rtg 60, slope 93.
They are tough courses for good players but easy for the choppers.

Could you make a par 71-72 in the same vein?
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#24 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Could you make a par 71-72 in the same vein?

I'm sure you could if you wanted to but it would be contrived. Just put all the hazards at good player yardages and have it wide open where the choppers hit.

Of course, the short courses with no par 5's and heaps of par 3's make life more difficult for the good player to score well, hence Marrickville, Randwick etc having a low slope whilst having a solid scratch rating.

• Weetbix likes this

#25 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

I'm sure you could if you wanted to but it would be contrived. Just put all the hazards at good player yardages and have it wide open where the choppers hit.

Of course, the short courses with no par 5's and heaps of par 3's make life more difficult for the good player to score well, hence Marrickville, Randwick etc having a low slope whilst having a solid scratch rating.

I don't think that is the solution as a lot of choppers are hitting their second shot where the hazard would be for the long hitters. I think it is about keeping the ground firm and rewarding the player who plays the right line regardless of how far they hit it and not overdoing it with bunkers, trees and forced carries. A long hitter shouldn't be able to carry the ball 260m and have the ball stop within 5m or 10m of where it landed. And a short hitter should be able to get more than 10m or 15m of run. If a player is on the wrong side of the green for where the pin is their ball should run to the other side or off the green. If a player is on the wrong side of the fairway for where the pin is they should have a hard time getting it near the pin. Some of the good clubs do this as standard maintenance but many clubs are bowing to the complaints of members who think they should be able to attack the pin from anywhere on the course. A lot of golfers also think that golf courses should be lush like a botanical garden but many of the best sporting surfaces are firmer and drier. I also find that many golfers confuse the firmness of a green with the speed of the green. They don't have to be the same thing and you can have a firm green that rewards the right line of play yet still doesn't have the choppers putting off the green.

I would only look at engaging a golf architect if the club has the continued resources to maintain the course in a way that honours the design.

#26 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Is the superintendent Involved in the decisions like tree planting, and tree management program. Pres, Greens director and I drove round in carts assed tree issues and had the front nine selectively trimmed to ensure course integrity was retained.
  • madness likes this

#27 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12906 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

Jon...

Well I thought that was the point of the OP?
  • Bluethunda likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users