32 replies to this topic

#16 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:46 AM

The new system will allow both competitive and recreational rounds to count for handicap purposes.

This is not the norm at the moment for many/most Australian golf clubs.

Will these clubs acquiesce...or defy the R&A?

#17 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

It will suit those tight arses who don't want to pay a comp fee.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#18 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

They could easily still not let non-fee payers take the place of those wanting to play the comp in peak times.  That's a business decision, but hey we've only been over that like 54 times now. 

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#19 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14423 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

Or that dont play at all.

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#20 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Or that dont play at all.

You rang?
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#21 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

this means competitors in same competition on same day will be able to play from different handicaps from either Back, white or red tees as they choose.

ie Playa 1

handicap off Black /Blue  = 15 

White 13

Red =12

Will we see introduction of more stroke rounds to accommodate this change as USA system is based on stroke rounds not Stableford or Par.

There is no doubt the Stfd index of many holes will have to change from each tee, so clubs will have to re rate both holes and the Slope or ACR ratings off all tees and issue different cards to players depending on which tee they play from.

at my club the 2nd hardest hole 8th off blues is 375m index 2 off red tees its 336m and index 10.

and 7th hole 436m Blue index 16 off red its 411m index 7

No mention of womens handicaps as one assumes that women will play same tees of choice as men just adjusting their handicaps

ie woman

red 25

white = 28

Black 31

but then which stableford index do ladies use if they play off whites. ?

Its going to be a fun time sorting out at club level on saturday morning

Anything's possible with computers now.

We have a system whereby anyone in our club over 70 and 24 hcp can play in comps off the white tees (blues for the rest of us). The computer knows to print off a different score card for these players during registration...because the hole index varies between whites and blues.....as does the slope. 

We don't need to do anything except accurately enter scores (dots) onto the card before running it through the card reader.

• madness likes this

#22 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

I've never been a fan of suggesting different tees for different abilities in the same comp. One of the great things about golf and the handicap is being able to play the same game on the same course against players of different abilities.

I feel having multiple tees in use at the same time takes away one of those factors and handicaps should already do enough to equal out any variances in ability.

What i do like about the changes will be the handicap adjustments based on course ratings. So when you actually have 36 points you should more or less have played to your handicap of that day.

• Notupnotin and upnin like this

| GolfLink 

#23 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17400 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

I agree, kinda like on WGT when you play off white and opponent plays off red, wonder why they hit it passed me all the trime
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#24 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

I've never been a fan of suggesting different tees for different abilities in the same comp. One of the great things about golf and the handicap is being able to play the same game on the same course against players of different abilities.

I feel having multiple tees in use at the same time takes away one of those factors and handicaps should already do enough to equal out any variances in ability.

What i do like about the changes will be the handicap adjustments based on course ratings. So when you actually have 36 points you should more or less have played to your handicap of that day.

Different tees is more about the pace of play. Player having 100 shots is having 20 more shots than a player having 80. If it takes 1 minute to play a shot their round is 20 minutes longer. Having to look for a ball increases this time. Group of 4 high handicappers will take 80 minutes longer to play than a group of 4 low handicappers. There is a tendency for golfers of equal ability to enjoy each others company. You can always argue the exceptions like a long hitter having to wait on a par 5 etc but my experience is that generally the bad golfers take longer to play because they are having more hits, raking more bunkers, looking for more golf balls. Shortening the course for the high handicappers shortens their time on the course. 

I like mugcanic's post about the over 70's being in the same comp off shorter tees. Many juniors and oldies can't reach fairways or clear a front bunker on a par 3 and stop the ball on the green. 

#25 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24091 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Different tees is more about the pace of play. Player having 100 shots is having 20 more shots than a player having 80. If it takes 1 minute to play a shot their round is 20 minutes longer. Having to look for a ball increases this time. Group of 4 high handicappers will take 80 minutes longer to play than a group of 4 low handicappers. There is a tendency for golfers of equal ability to enjoy each others company. You can always argue the exceptions like a long hitter having to wait on a par 5 etc but my experience is that generally the bad golfers take longer to play because they are having more hits, raking more bunkers, looking for more golf balls. Shortening the course for the high handicappers shortens their time on the course. 
I like mugcanic's post about the over 70's being in the same comp off shorter tees. Many juniors and oldies can't reach fairways or clear a front bunker on a par 3 and stop the ball on the green.

Some of what you say is correct if the course has been set up in championship mode, such as for a pro-am or similar with penal rough, tight fairways, etc. That can certainly add a lot of time looking for stray balls.

As for how long they take, most senior, high handicapped golfers just walk to their ball, hit it, walk, hit, until they're close to the green. Some even do all four putts in well under a minute.

But young guns, who envisage themselves in the pro class (if only they had the ability), will analyse where their ball need go for the best outcome, take some moments to visualise the shot, go into their detailed setup routine, take 3 or 4 practice swings, pause for 60 seconds over their ball just making sure everything is perfect, then finall hit it. The old boys would have all played their shots in that time. On the putting green the young guns will view the putt from every angle, do everything but actually measure the slope and finally have a putt. Of course they have much fewer strokes than the oldies, but they aren't any quicker.
  • pom likes this

#26 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

Or more specifically, those that derive no value from playing in a competition.

• iRON MiCK and madness like this

#27 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Some of what you say is correct if the course has been set up in championship mode, such as for a pro-am or similar with penal rough, tight fairways, etc. That can certainly add a lot of time looking for stray balls.

As for how long they take, most senior, high handicapped golfers just walk to their ball, hit it, walk, hit, until they're close to the green. Some even do all four putts in well under a minute.

But young guns, who envisage themselves in the pro class (if only they had the ability), will analyse where their ball need go for the best outcome, take some moments to visualise the shot, go into their detailed setup routine, take 3 or 4 practice swings, pause for 60 seconds over their ball just making sure everything is perfect, then finall hit it. The old boys would have all played their shots in that time. On the putting green the young guns will view the putt from every angle, do everything but actually measure the slope and finally have a putt. Of course they have much fewer strokes than the oldies, but they aren't any quicker.

Some of what you say is correct...
  • madness likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#28 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3018 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

http://www.golf.org....wsdisplay/99811

Some clarification around the cap limits and also that Aus will restrict cap to 36 men and 45 women which it is now. So 54 wont be used mostly.

It also looks like there is a way to try reducing sand bagging. Full details below:

What will the WHS changes of substance be for Australia’s clubs and golfers?

1. There will be a Hard Cap of 5 strokes as per GA’s current regulation. There will also be a Soft Cap currently set at 3 strokes which will be a new regulation for Australia. The Soft Cap will allow a player normal increases in their GA Handicap unless it increases to 3 strokes above their best GA Handicap from the previous 12-month period. Above this point the GA Handicap will only be permitted to increase by 50% of the calculated amount. [Example: A player’s '8 of 20' calculation is 17.2. Their best GA Handicap within the trailing 12-month period is 11.2. Their GA Handicap is 15.7 (ie 11.2 + 3 + (50% of 3)).] Modelling indicates that the Soft Cap will impact up to 20% of the total number of handicap calculations performed by GOLF Link each year. The introduction of the Soft Cap will reduce the percentage of players impacted by the Hard Cap from 5% down to less than 1.5%. GA has been aware for some time that our existing system produces a competitive advantage to the inconsistent player over the consistent player and we have been looking for a way to soften this outcome. The Soft Cap will improve this situation and will improve the equity of Australian handicapping.

Click here to see a Q&A on the new Soft Cap regulation.

2. The Daily Handicap calculation will be changed to incorporate the difference between the Scratch Rating and the Par. This is all that needs to happen to enable 36 Stableford points (or net par) to become the equitable measure of whether a player has played to their handicap, irrespective of the course or set of tees. To determine a WHS Daily Handicap GOLF Link will start by performing the exact same calculation as currently occurs under the existing GA Handicap System. And then it will simply adjust this amount by the difference between the Scratch Rating and the Par. This change will eliminate the significant complexity involved with scoring for multi-tee and mixed gender competitions, and as a result will be beneficial from a game participation and engagement perspective.

Click here to see a Q&A on the changes to the calculation of the Daily Handicap.

Edited by Chopper Man, 27 February 2018 - 04:25 PM.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#29 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

http://www.golf.org....wsdisplay/99811

Some clarification around the cap limits and also that Aus will restrict cap to 36 men and 45 women which it is now. So 54 wont be used mostly.

It also looks like there is a way to try reducing sand bagging. Full details below:

What will the WHS changes of substance be for Australia’s clubs and golfers?

1. There will be a Hard Cap of 5 strokes as per GA’s current regulation. There will also be a Soft Cap currently set at 3 strokes which will be a new regulation for Australia. The Soft Cap will allow a player normal increases in their GA Handicap unless it increases to 3 strokes above their best GA Handicap from the previous 12-month period. Above this point the GA Handicap will only be permitted to increase by 50% of the calculated amount. [Example: A player’s '8 of 20' calculation is 17.2. Their best GA Handicap within the trailing 12-month period is 11.2. Their GA Handicap is 15.7 (ie 11.2 + 3 + (50% of 3)).] Modelling indicates that the Soft Cap will impact up to 20% of the total number of handicap calculations performed by GOLF Link each year. The introduction of the Soft Cap will reduce the percentage of players impacted by the Hard Cap from 5% down to less than 1.5%. GA has been aware for some time that our existing system produces a competitive advantage to the inconsistent player over the consistent player and we have been looking for a way to soften this outcome. The Soft Cap will improve this situation and will improve the equity of Australian handicapping.

Click here to see a Q&A on the new Soft Cap regulation.

2. The Daily Handicap calculation will be changed to incorporate the difference between the Scratch Rating and the Par. This is all that needs to happen to enable 36 Stableford points (or net par) to become the equitable measure of whether a player has played to their handicap, irrespective of the course or set of tees. To determine a WHS Daily Handicap GOLF Link will start by performing the exact same calculation as currently occurs under the existing GA Handicap System. And then it will simply adjust this amount by the difference between the Scratch Rating and the Par. This change will eliminate the significant complexity involved with scoring for multi-tee and mixed gender competitions, and as a result will be beneficial from a game participation and engagement perspective.

Click here to see a Q&A on the changes to the calculation of the Daily Handicap.

So am I reading this right. If I play off a 12 h'cap and go to a course with scratch rating of 67 par 70 (which is one of the courses I play) I then will be playing off 9.

Wow I'm back in single figures!! Quickest way to lose those last couple shots. Might put a new perspective in the race to x threads on the forum.

• Madam likes this

#30 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

So am I reading this right. If I play off a 12 h'cap and go to a course with scratch rating of 67 par 70 (which is one of the courses I play) I then will be playing off 9.

Wow I'm back in single figures!! Quickest way to lose those last couple shots. Might put a new perspective in the race to x threads on the forum.

That is correct.

This calculation is already done in the DSR calculation i believe so it's just being moved out of there and to the front where it will be applied directly to the playing handicap.

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users