18 replies to this topic

#1 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3005 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Playing a practise 9 holes this afternoon, I mishit my drive which traveled about 100mtr onto the fairway. I then preceded to top a 3 wood and looked around for the ball only to find it embedded about 1 foot in front of me and 2 inches deep into the ground. The rule states a ball embedded in its own pitch mark may be lifted cleaned and dropped without penalty. Did this situation qualify as a ball embedded in its own pitch mark? I was only practising by myself, but, I like to keep score so I took an unplayable drop and added a penalty stroke.

• languid, Bluethunda and hack2489 like this

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

It is considered to be embedded providing the ball actually became airborne.

#3 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5405 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Geez you’re harsh on yourself. I wouldn’t have seen myself hit that shot and taken a mulligan in that situation before I turned around😄
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

It is considered to be embedded providing the ball actually became airborne.

“Airborne” probably means at some time the Ball loses contact with the ground and turf grass.
I think T R did the right thing in interpreting the Rule.
  • pom likes this

#5 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14263 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

Playing a practise 9 holes this afternoon, I mishit my drive which traveled about 100mtr onto the fairway. I then preceded to top a 3 wood and looked around for the ball only to find it embedded about 1 foot in front of me and 2 inches deep into the ground. The rule states a ball embedded in its own pitch mark may be lifted cleaned and dropped without penalty. Did this situation qualify as a ball embedded in its own pitch mark? I was only practising by myself, but, I like to keep score so I took an unplayable drop and added a penalty stroke.

How did you find somewhere dry enough to even play a practice 9??? :o

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#6 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17525 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Caboolture dries out pretty quickly

I think you did the right thing
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#7 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3005 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

How did you find somewhere dry enough to even play a practice 9??? :o

My practice round was earlier in the week, the deluge started Friday

#8 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14263 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

My practice round was earlier in the week, the deluge started Friday

I'm a dumb shi t.  Didn't look at the date of your post. :(   Still, must have been pretty soft for the ball to plug a foot in front of you.  Seems you have unfortunately found my way of golfing, well for one hole at least.  Just imagine if that happened 3 or 4 times a round......every round.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#9 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

What happens when you play a shot from the tee, see the ball's landing spot, but can't see it bounce, because of very soft & muddy ground, then can't find the ball because it is completely submerged in the mud? I think it is abnormal playing surface, which would allow a free drop. Any thoughts?

#10 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3005 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

What happens when you play a shot from the tee, see the ball's landing spot, but can't see it bounce, because of very soft & muddy ground, then can't find the ball because it is completely submerged in the mud? I think it is abnormal playing surface, which would allow a free drop. Any thoughts?

If you see the balls landing spot then you would be able to find where it entered the ground surely? 

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

The rules do not have an abnormal playing surface in their lexicon.

Unless the committee has declared the area to be GUR (ie an Abnormal Ground Condition), there is no free drop.

#12 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:57 AM

If you see the balls landing spot then you would be able to find where it entered the ground surely? 

Obviously not, or I wouldn't have asked the question. 160 meter shot that was seen land from tee & arrived to see large area of mud/seepage area from leaking pipes on fairway.

• Bluethunda likes this

#13 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

The rules do not have an abnormal playing surface in their lexicon.

Unless the committee has declared the area to be GUR (ie an Abnormal Ground Condition), there is no free drop.

I will check. I don't have rule book with me at the moment, but I thought Abnormal Ground Condition was possible without local rule. It seems unrealistic to have to accept a lost ball in the fairway, because of mud & leaking pipes, which is obviously not normal.

Obviously not, or I wouldn't have asked the question. 160 meter shot that was seen land from tee & arrived to see large area of mud/seepage area from leaking pipes on fairway.

#14 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:06 AM

I will check. I don't have rule book with me at the moment, but I thought Abnormal Ground Condition was possible without local rule. It seems unrealistic to have to accept a lost ball in the fairway, because of mud & leaking pipes, which is obviously not normal.

You are right in that.  Abnormal ground conditions are covered by the Definition without any need for a local rule:

An "abnormal ground condition" is any casual waterground under repair or hole, cast or runway on the course made by a burrowing animal, a reptile or a bird.

Muddy conditions are not enough, however.  The place where your ball disappeared would have to meet the definition of casual water to be an abnormal ground condition.

"Casual water" is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance.

Edited by ColinCL, 02 March 2018 - 07:09 AM.

• Henschke likes this

#15 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

I will check. I don't have rule book with me at the moment, but I thought Abnormal Ground Condition was possible without local rule..

It is but there is no relief for this 'blanket' condition which is defined as:

An "abnormal ground condition" is any casual water, ground under repair or hole, cast or runway on the course made by a burrowing animal, a reptile or a bird.

However, the three sub-sets above do give relief but the rules specify when that may be done. 

See above for casual water

Ground under repair can only be defined/marked by the committee.

• Henschke likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users