#16 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11061 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

Joe i thought Heidelberg had a 2 day membership anyway? Sunday and monday?

Perfect for construction workers
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#17 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3016 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

Joe i thought Heidelberg had a 2 day membership anyway? Sunday and monday?

Perfect for construction workers

Yep for New members and only valid for the first year. 

May have changed some of them since then. Heres all the casual ones now:

https://www.heidelbe...ership-options/

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#18 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

I wish I still had the chart but a few years back when I was on committee of a small metropolitan club in Melbourne I graphed out the age distribution of the club it was interesting - there was a small bubble of junior golfers, essentially no golfers in the 20-30 age bracket, then building steadily with approximately 55% of members in the 60 - 70 year age bracket and a pretty steep drop off after that.

The club offered most members in this group some form of discount (seniors or loyalty) - I showed that the discount was costing the club 10's of thousands of dollars in lost memberships fees and these are the members that "potentially" are most able to pay full fees and are playing the most the golf. I tried to get the discount removed at the AGM not surprisingly it got voted down by this group. I maintain that we may have lost a couple of members but the club would have been significantly better financially.

As far as I can tell the trick is to hook people in at an earlier age. For example this club had no discount for under 40's a discount there costs the club very little (few members in this group) and hopefully will bring with it loyalty to the club and they will stay replenishing the club membership. Potentially you might get a 40 year member out of them.

I was fully committed to that club had been on committee for a number of years and captain for a couple, however, I left that club when I had my second child. I didn't have the time to play weekly and wasn't prepared to pay a full membership for what would be 4-5 rounds per year. The club didn't have a flexible membership structure so I had to leave. A lifestyle membership or something would have probably kept me around and involved in the club and when I hit that empty nester (quite a few years away still) I would be more likely to be loyal to the club because it would be my club.

the other issue with this club was the junior fee structure, where we had 14 year old kids paying 66% of the full fee. This was ridiculous junior golf fees should essentially cover your golf Victoria fees and that is it. We should encourage junior golf - yes we will lose most of them in their 20's but they are more likely to come back. Giving discounts to seniors is a short term view of membership structure golf clubs should be playing the long game.

• voss, pom, StewyGriffin and 3 others like this

#19 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

We have a 100 rule.

If you have turned at least 65 and your age and years of membership total 100, you move to a special category. Fees are slightly lower, unsure by what percentage.

That what you mean?

Mick,

I think that was cancelled a few years ago when the redevelopment was finished

PT

#20 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

Mick,

I think that was cancelled a few years ago when the redevelopment was finished

PT

Jeez, with only 30 years to go I was zeroing in on it   :D  

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23999 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

I was going to quote some posts, but then realised I'd be quoting many and just about doubling up this topic.

So I'll start with Mouldy's comment about snagging the 50yo.

I was 50 when I took up golf.  My joints were starting to lock up, or at least were restricted, and I needed to get some exercise (something I'm not keen on) and, having had a little experience with golf as a kid and a course only 5Km away, it would at least give me a purpose for walking. It wasn't long before I'd joined the local club and was playing regularly.

I wasn't an empty nester but it was possible to juggle kid's sporting commitments and still get to the course by lunch time on Sat for an afternoon round.

Time moves on, as did I, and I'm now retired to the country (so much better than the city) where they offered a small discount for pensioners as well as much cheaper membership fees anyway.  The pensioner discount is now across the board for 70yo+, pensioner or not. It's only around $50pa.  And, yes all us old farts play a lot more golf than the 9-5 workers, except when we're laid up in hospital for weeks, torn shoulders, buggered knees, etc. (I've been lucky so far.)

Those who take up golf later in life struggle with the physicality of it and many give up. Bowls is less of a strain and hence more attractive to many.

Golf clubs need to attract those in the 40 to 50 range, while they're young enough to learn or re-learn, should be able to arrange finances for membership and can contribute to the club for some decades. Loyalty discounts are good and should help retain members, particularly while the course is having problems (which seems to happen to lots of clubs from time to time).  1%pa becomes worthwhile after 5 to 10 years.  By the time they get to 50% (50 years), they're about to drop off the perch anyway and have probably earned a life membership.

Lifestyle memberships can be good to get players started, but the target has to be full membership to get worthwhile dollars in.  If the course is already heavily booked for both Sat & Sun, there's not much more that can be done, other than selling some mid-week play.

The danger with a lot of clubs is that they want theirs to be the best. 'We have a better clubhouse, we have this, we have that, etc'.  What you really want to have is a bunch of happy campers who love coming to play golf at your course. Many are not concerned with how flash the clubhouse is or whether you have the best car park. They want to play on a well maintained course and have somewhere comfortable for a drink and a chat afterwards.  The rest is incidental.  With the exception of the top courses where the big money players go and they expect to be serviced well because they can afford it.

• pom and madness like this

#22 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17383 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

At my old club they had various categories

7 day sat -sun

5 day mon-fri

Husband-wife certain percentage off wahtever on the above categories

And three junior classes

Veterans were paying like 260 per year if 5 days some enjoying 2-3 days golf per week. New management came onboard to save the club financially, rejigged the vets fees, however, had to be a vet for 10 years to get the same fee, all it did was cos the old 'that's not fair ' argument, by the members that didn't fall into that territory. Now, I believe they are giving the incentive to new members to join, and the existing members are blowing up over this!!
Some members have put their hands in their pockets to donate extra money to help the club survive on numerous occasions and now have been siht on by the now, another new board.

At my new club

7 days sat -sun

Junior categories

We have more members at my new club than old one.

We have a membership were you have 12 games per year plus you pay green fees to entice new people to the game.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#23 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

External forces aside (time poor due to shift towards dual income families, cost of housing/living etc) ,the problem with many (full) memberships is you really need to play weekly or close to it for the membership to be value for money. People in their 30's with young families play a few times a year, decide their cost per round is ridiculous, then leave.

I don't see what's wrong with lifestyle memberships if you get say 25% of the amount of golf in at 50% of the price of a full membership? That's not going to overload the course on peak times. The old ones that play 3 times a week at potentially discounted rates are far more of a relative strain on the course.

• pom, RobNewy and madness like this

#24 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:01 AM

Yep for New members and only valid for the first year. 

May have changed some of them since then. Heres all the casual ones now:

https://www.heidelbe...ership-options/

I knew you lot pay more for membership down there, but sheesh ... :o

My home track memberships: http://www.oceanshor...membership.html

With the cost of flights being much cheaper these days, you'd almost be better off joining up here and flying in for a game every fortnight! :rolleyes:

The 'main' club around here, on the border, is Tweed Cooly and their membership is double that of Ocean Shores: http://cooltweedgolf...olf-membership/

Edited by hack2489, 03 March 2018 - 05:02 AM.

#25 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:12 AM

What about the 'credit' system the Vines in WA has set up?

Flexi Membership:
$2,000 (joining fee for new members applicable)

• Receive 200 credits for golf (Credits used as per charge structure)
  • Unlimited use of non-golfing resort facilities
  • Additional blocks of 10 credits purchased for $100
  • Can book at 6.30pm 8-days in advance for weekday competitions & 5-days in advance for weekend competitions
  • Access to International & Domestic reciprocal clubs as per agreements, 3 credits charged
  • Resort Discounts on food (10%), beverage (20%), Pro shop (10%), accommodation (15%) Keishi Day Spa (10%)
  • Annual, Bi-annual and monthly payments allowed (3% admin fee applies to monthly)

Casual Membership
$1,000 (joining fee for new members applicable)

• Receive 100 credits (Credits used as per charge structure)
    • Unlimited use of non-golfing resort facilities
    • Additional blocks of 10 credits purchased for $120
    • Can book 3-days in advance for competition rounds
    • Access to International & Domestic reciprocal clubs as per agreements, 3 credits charged
    • Resort Discounts on food (10%), beverage (20%), Pro shop (10%), accommodation (15%) Keishi Day Spa (10%)
    • Annual, Bi-annual and monthly payments allowed (3% admin fee applies to monthly)

Flexi & Casual Membership Charge Structure
Members who select the ‘Flexi’ or ‘Casual’ categories will get charged on a pay as you play basis, with charges as follows:

Members Rate

18-holes

9-holes

Off-Peak: Monday-Friday (all day) & Saturday/Sunday
(after 11am) on both courses*

2 credits

1 credits

Peak: Weekend Members competitions and Saturday/Sunday
(before 11am) on both courses

5 credits

3 credits

Reciprocal

3 credits

2 credits

https://www.vines.co...Golf-Membership

I see that as a good structure, alternate, membership that allow people to be a 'member' but use their membership as it suits them. It also puts and emphasis on the supply demand of weekend comp golf, etc. So, those who do not really need to play weekends (i.e. the retired members, or shift workers) can get better value by NOT playing Saturday comp.

Edited by hack2489, 03 March 2018 - 05:15 AM.

#26 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14245 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Unfortunately "membership" is more of a loyalty program now. Once people start equating a "membership" value solely against the amount of times played, clubs will be in trouble.

There was day where membership to a club actually meant something, not for many "clubs" now and hence the downward financial spiral for them.

• VLAD and madness like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#27 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

Unfortunately "membership" is more of a loyalty program now. Once people start equating a "membership" value solely against the amount of times played, clubs will be in trouble.

There was day where membership to a club actually meant something, not for many "clubs" now and hence the downward financial spiral for them.

Value can be measured by more than just the number of "times played" in a year. But, it's the first easy measure and financial pressure due to living costs make it a high priority for most.

There needs to be more incentive to move those who can, out of the weekend peak use period. For example, if over say 60, discount full membership, but unable to put name down for Saturday comp until say 3pm the day before.

Also, IMO, clubs would do better having only social golf on Sunday. Package a promo around, food, etc. So say shotgun start at 7am and include lunch. Another at 1pm, but include two free drinks at the bar, or a voucher for dinner.

Having a more "open" social use would bring in more people, and $$ from green fees from non members looking to get a game.

Local clubs in an area could roster a Sunday comp, with reciprocal green fees, so say once a month a club gets Sunday comp, other times social play all day.

Time to shake off the old thinking.

With new handicap and use of social rounds, clubs have to think differently.
  • Madam and madness like this

#28 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

As money gets tight, the amount of times played can have an impact, but personally I like having the membership as it leaves me free to play at any time, although through many unforeseen problems that has been very few since November. The club used to have a midweek only membership which I would consider if it came back, but I have never looked for a membership discount because of my age. It is a cost accounted for in our annual finances. They do a reduced membership fee which allows weekday play, but you have to pay half price green fees and cart fees, full price weekend comp fees. Never considered that as it would be very expensive if I go back to playing twice a week.

Joining a club has to be a financial commitment you are willing to pay, it’s no good complaining after the fact, many of the smaller clubs are extremely good value for money, as is my present club.

We have two days, Monday and Friday which are usually kept free for social play, the other five days they have comps, I don’t know if it is the same with the present committee but we used to be able to put social cards in as part of establishing a handicap when I first joined, as long as it was signed and verified by a handicapped player, solo rounds did not count.

Golf is obviously inherantly expensive and nothing can change that, the bottom line clubs have to at least break even.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#29 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Value can be measured by more than just the number of "times played" in a year. But, it's the first easy measure and financial pressure due to living costs make it a high priority for most.

There needs to be more incentive to move those who can, out of the weekend peak use period. For example, if over say 60, discount full membership, but unable to put name down for Saturday comp until say 3pm the day before.

Also, IMO, clubs would do better having only social golf on Sunday. Package a promo around, food, etc. So say shotgun start at 7am and include lunch. Another at 1pm, but include two free drinks at the bar, or a voucher for dinner.

Having a more "open" social use would bring in more people, and $$ from green fees from non members looking to get a game.

Local clubs in an area could roster a Sunday comp, with reciprocal green fees, so say once a month a club gets Sunday comp, other times social play all day.

Time to shake off the old thinking.

With new handicap and use of social rounds, clubs have to think differently.

I like this idea. Trying to get comp players and social players on the course on the same day is a mess because of the different expectations. Taking turns hosting a comp and opening up the other course/courses in the rotation for green fee players makes it so much easier from an operational point of view. Adding a golf league for players of all clubs involved to the rotating competition would be a great idea. 

#30 Falcs2

Falcs2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

If you go back in time far enough when golf used to be a 3/4 of a day event where people would be gone till dinner and considerations like RBT and the size of their mortgage didn't exist?

• madness and hack2489 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users