#31 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38976 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:40 AM

Based on what I'm hearing out of committee, it appears I'm in the minority in trying to even up the playing numbers each grade.

Thanks for the input all.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#32 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9158 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:54 AM

I play at a country course with a membership of around 300.

Our Club Championships are in 3 weeks

We have 3 grades with GA handicap limit to determine grade.

A up to 12.4

B 12.5 to 18.4 (the majority of our members)

C 18.5 +

The championship is 3 rounds of  gross stroke with a cut after 2 rounds for top 12 (plus ties) in each grade.

So round 3 of championship is only therefore 12 in each grade.

this method because does even out those in contention. and allows committee to block off 9 groups on time sheet on 3rd round.

We usually run first round as the Monthly medal thus giving the nett component.

Also those members from all grades who dont " make the cut play the third week as normal stfd so less disruption to whole field.

Hope the way we run our championships helps with some ideas for your club Goldy.

• chevychase, Goldy, AGQ and 1 other like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#33 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8679 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

Oh great goldenholeinoneledgend...
A couple if things to consider....
All your honour boards would be based on the existing handicap breakup for grades at a calculated guess.... don't get me wrong I would like to see even groupings of grades but that was the argument at my club when change was muted...
In saying that the current handicapping system has changed the handicap groupings and a discussion about how to even out the grades or even a survey of players might be in order..

And as a new bull in the paddock let the old bulls fark it up before you save the day
  • Goldy, PerryGroves and madness like this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#34 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14383 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Goldy is more Rhino than Bull

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#35 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

Who in their right mind 30 years from now, is going to want to look up and see a C grade trophy staring back at them from their mantelpiece? :o

I might have one of those somewhere. It would be quite an achievement to be able to see it 30 years from now. Worthy of a telegram (which surely would be an unknown item by then).

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#36 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

I play at a country course with a membership of around 300.

Our Club Championships are in 3 weeks

We have 3 grades with GA handicap limit to determine grade.

A up to 12.4

B 12.5 to 18.4 (the majority of our members)

C 18.5 +

The championship is 3 rounds of  gross stroke with a cut after 2 rounds for top 12 (plus ties) in each grade.

So round 3 of championship is only therefore 12 in each grade.

this method because does even out those in contention. and allows committee to block off 9 groups on time sheet on 3rd round.

We usually run first round as the Monthly medal thus giving the nett component.

Also those members from all grades who dont " make the cut play the third week as normal stfd so less disruption to whole field.

Hope the way we run our championships helps with some ideas for your club Goldy.

I like this setup. Nothing worse than being 30 shots behind after 2 rounds and having to play another stroke round. And then a Monthly medal. There are probably a few clubs with a high percentage of A graders but most club golfers just find stroke a bit tortuous.

#37 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2493 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

Our club championships have just concluded and are run over two rounds of stroke play to qualify for Open, Minor ( B grade ) and C grade. D grade is two rounds of stableford and the winner needs the most points.

The grades are divided up from + to 6.4 - Open section, which anyone can qualify with the lowest 8 scores to then play quarter and semi finals of 18 holes matchplay. "You can only qualify in one grade".

Minor is 6.5 to 9.4, C grade is 9.5 to 16.4 and D grade is the rest ( I'm not exactly sure about the breakup of C and D grades but think it's close to correct ) I believe these handicap ranges give a reasonable amount of players in each section.

Like the Open CC the Minor and C grade have a top 8 with quarter and semi finals. 

The finals are then 36 holes for Open and Minor with C grade playing an 18 final. 

In conjunction with the initial 2 stroke rounds are the qualifying for the Senior and junior matchplay top 4 to qualify in each section.

The main club championships are done and dusted over two consecutive weekends and the Senior and junior CC are given a week off before their finals over 18 holes.

Hope this helps, Goldengoose !

Jon...  

#38 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

Our club championships have just concluded and are run over two rounds of stroke play to qualify for Open, Minor ( B grade ) and C grade. D grade is two rounds of stableford and the winner needs the most points.

The grades are divided up from + to 6.4 - Open section, which anyone can qualify with the lowest 8 scores to then play quarter and semi finals of 18 holes matchplay. "You can only qualify in one grade".

Minor is 6.5 to 9.4, C grade is 9.5 to 16.4 and D grade is the rest ( I'm not exactly sure about the breakup of C and D grades but think it's close to correct ) I believe these handicap ranges give a reasonable amount of players in each section.

Like the Open CC the Minor and C grade have a top 8 with quarter and semi finals. 

The finals are then 36 holes for Open and Minor with C grade playing an 18 final. 

In conjunction with the initial 2 stroke rounds are the qualifying for the Senior and junior matchplay top 4 to qualify in each section.

The main club championships are done and dusted over two consecutive weekends and the Senior and junior CC are given a week off before their finals over 18 holes.

Hope this helps, Goldengoose !

Jon...  

I have seen this type of system before & I do not like it. Firstly the scratch to 6.4 group is likely to be very small thus increasing the chances of winning but mainly You are shutting out anybody above 6.4 from winning the club champs. Impossible you might say , But it isn,t. I can think of 3 instances at least. where a marker around 7 - 12 has won a club championship.If you want to throw Match play into the list. Let the winner be match play Champion.

• chevychase and Goldy like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#39 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I think for a lot of A graders, nett is just a non entity in terms of wanting to win it. As has been mentioned the gross total is what you should be aiming for.

As for grades, the fact that they have any part in club championships is just a farce.

You might as well just hand out trophies "for participation". 

Who in their right mind 30 years from now, is going to want to look up and see a C grade trophy staring back at them from their mantelpiece? :o

I disagree. I enjoy the competition of playing golf against players of a similar skill level to myself ie my grade and I do take pride in the victories I have achieved in my grade. There is only one club champion and everyone knows that and respects that players performance.

• RobNewy, Goldy, AGQ and 1 other like this

#40 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14383 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

I disagree. I enjoy the competition of playing golf against players of a similar skill level to myself ie my grade and I do take pride in the victories I have achieved in my grade. There is only one club champion and everyone knows that and respects that players performance.

Unless you are off 32. LoL

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#41 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

You CAN do better Mick.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#42 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

You CAN do better Mick.

Haven't you come down to 25?

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#43 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6882 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

i would very interested to know has anyone or know anyone with a high handicap of say 25  ever one a club championship  , not just C or D grade but the overall club championships?

I know you would have to shoot the lights out over 4 rounds and i understand it isnt likely  to happen 

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#44 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14816 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

aim left
  • iRON MiCK likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#45 peak_sy

peak_sy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

Goldy, I've been at clubs with set grades, and with grades that are determined after entries close by splitting the field evenly. My preference is for grading after entries close. Champions have always been lowest gross when no matchplay component. Setting grades evenly has lots of benefits IMHO, helps to reduce the effect of sandbagging, and give a more even chance for people to win.

3 rounds of stroke with a cut should give the most deserving winner, but doesn't drag it on too much.
  • RobNewy, Goldy and Mr Potato Head like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users