21 replies to this topic

#16 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

Mixed foursomes uses two sets of tees. Compare that to just straight mens foursomes where everyone is always playing each hole from the same place. In mixed foursomes you could actually play a different length of course to the rest if the field if you allowed the partners to choose

That is a significant part of the strategy in mixed foursomes.

It is also an option in mens' foursomes if each player is permitted to choose which rated course he will play (with the appropriate handicap adjustment).

#17 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:52 AM

I recall playing a mixed foursomes game on The Old Course, organized by the R&A.  I spent a fair amount of preparation time thinking about whether it would be more advantageous for us if I played from the odds or from the evens, concluding that I should play from the even holes, my wife from the odds.

Then I read the notice to competitors - women will play first from the odd-numbered holes, men will play first from the even-numbered holes.  Not much doubt left there.

#18 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3083 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

A condition set by the competition committee not the rules makers.

#19 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1889 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

I think Committees set the Conditions for which gender starts a hole for a few reasons.
Practically it is probably easier to keep things simple at Teeing areas.
It ensures all teams are playing the same course.
I understand the point on strategy.
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

#20 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1889 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

That is a significant part of the strategy in mixed foursomes.
It is also an option in mens' foursomes if each player is permitted to choose which rated course he will play (with the appropriate handicap adjustment).

On men’s Foursomes I think the event is conducted on a single rated course, for example the Championship Course from the Plates or daily markers as defined in Conditions of Competition.
There is no doubt that some players are better suited to tee shots from particular holes, though. As well further play of a hole is anticipated, such as who is more like to handle an iron shot to the green.
Hit-off strategy is very important.
  • Itchy4Scratch likes this

#21 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1889 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

The original question is based on recent event held at my Club.
When it came to the playoff the Captain was uncertain what to do.
In fact he talked with the players and sought opinions.
Both teams immediately opted for the normal continuation of play as in any stipulated round. The men played from the first tee.
That made things easy for the Captain.
As it turned out one team messed up the First Hole with a quadruple bogey. I think they had only or or two doubles in 27 holes. Such is golf.
The other team had par and coasted home over the three playoff holes.

#22 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

The original question is based on recent event held at my Club.
When it came to the playoff the Captain was uncertain what to do.
In fact he talked with the players and sought opinions.
Both teams immediately opted for the normal continuation of play as in any stipulated round. The men played from the first tee.
That made things easy for the Captain.
As it turned out one team messed up the First Hole with a quadruple bogey. I think they had only or or two doubles in 27 holes. Such is golf.
The other team had par and coasted home over the three playoff holes.

Wise Captain - when it's not totally clear or spelled out in the CoC, it's good practice to talk with the players and agree on the procedure.  Of course, if there isn't agreement, he has to do what he considers right.  I've had to talk with players to seek agreement to change the previously-announced playoff holes because the previously-announced holes were under water!

• Madam and languid like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users