21 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Background is my Club does the Mixed Foursomes Championship over 27 holes.
The Conditions of Competition stipulate the men start play from odd numbered holes, women the even numbered.
It has been traditional for the Stroke Play Championships for men to be decided by a three hole and then a sudden death playoff in the event of a tie. Because of the layout the logical holes specified are 1,2,16 then 17,18.
There has never been a need but if the “match” was still tied I think the loop 1,2,16,,17 and 18 would be used.
My question relates to who starts play from each hole.
It makes sense that the men play from first tee and the women play from the second tee.
In the absence of specific instructions who plays from the 16th tee in The Mixed Foursomes?

#2 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Good question, and I think the answer is in your description - men play from the odd-numbered holes, women form the even-numbered, and the original hole numbers are applicable, not the order in which they are played.  Men would play from holes 1 and 17, women from 2, 16 and 18.

#3 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

I agree, however it depends on how it was worded in the conditions of play of the tournament that men tee off on the odd holes and women on even I don't see why that should change in the event of a playoff.

If it was worded that men tee off on the first and take it turns to hit off after that it would be different. Men on 1, 16, 18 then.

I find it an unusual condition, the way I've played it in the past is that if I hole out on one hole the other person drives on the next so it is true sequential play. No need to word it in the tournament rules then.

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

I find it an unusual condition, the way I've played it in the past is that if I hole out on one hole the other person drives on the next so it is true sequential play. No need to word it in the tournament rules then.

Interesting, I've never played it like that. The tee shots have always alternated regardless of who putted out on the previous hole. 

#5 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

Interesting, I've never played it like that. The tee shots have always alternated regardless of who putted out on the previous hole. 

And when my wife and I played it, the Committee has always decreed that men played off certain tees and women the others - just like in the original post.

#6 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13282 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

same same 

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#7 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13282 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

And when my wife and I played it, the Committee has always decreed that men played off certain tees and women the others - just like in the original post.

I can see how doing it sequentially would cause a level of unfairness.

There will be men and women teeing off the same hole from different tee blocks and I am sure this would not be in line with the intent of the game.

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

29-1

In a threesome or a foursome, during any stipulated round the partners must play alternately from the teeing grounds and alternately during the play of each hole. 

Edited by AAA, 31 January 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#9 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

There will be men and women teeing off the same hole from different tee blocks and I am sure this would not be in line with the intent of the game.

The playoff possibilities are alternate teeing starts which is what happens through the two stipulated rounds, one 18 holes and one 9 holes. I
That pattern, standard for Foursomes means playoff sequence would be starting, Hole 1 Men, Hole 2 Women, Hole 16 Men, Hole 17 Women, Hole 18 Men.
However making the playoff use an odd numbered Men and even Woman process changes the arrangement on the 16th tee.
The reasons behind the stipulated rounds order of starting possibly has some basis in the fact that on the fourth hole the women’s tee on a short par five is notably ahead of the men’s. To a lesser extent that applies on the 16 th and 18th. On the other hand on the 17th the Men have a carry across a dam about 110 metres to clear the edge and another 15 to 20 to the hole. It is not that far but significant scare factor. If the man drowns his tee shot it presents a nightmare for the women, playing from the men’s tee. The bailout is no bargain too.
Women required to play from their 17 th tee are relatively comfortable. A drowning allows a reasonable lateral WH option.

#10 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

How is it unfair?

On the first extra hole the men would tee first. The women on the next, Then alternately as in the two stipulated rounds.

#11 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13282 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

How is it unfair?
On the first extra hole the men would tee first. The women on the next, Then alternately as in the two stipulated rounds.

Apologies, I was referring to Birdie's post about the player who didn't putt out was to tee off, rather than what everyone else was agreeing on.

#12 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

29-1

In a threesome or a foursome, during any stipulated round the partners must play alternately from the teeing grounds and alternately during the play of each hole. 

And this was  exactly how we played it. In mens foursomes you do not stipulate which player tees of from which tee. You merely go with the rules that players must play alternately from teeing grounds. Why should mixed be any different. We used to stipulate for the 3rd nine that the teeing order for each hole be reversed but overall it was up the players who teed off on evens  and who on odds.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#13 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

It would seem that the CoC is badly worded. I assume that it was intended that all men tee on the first and then tee alternately with the women.

If that's what they meant, why didn't they say so.

But why have such a condition? Pairs should be able to choose depending on their playing strengths.

Edited by AAA, 31 January 2018 - 10:06 PM.

#14 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Mixed foursomes uses two sets of tees. Compare that to just straight mens foursomes where everyone is always playing each hole from the same place. In mixed foursomes you could actually play a different length of course to the rest if the field if you allowed the partners to choose
  • languid likes this

#15 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20456 posts
  • Location.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Just another reason to never play mixed foursomes.
  • Goldy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users