85 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

A golfer is a member of a bricks and mortar golf club as well as a virtual golf club (e.g. RACV Golf).

Bricks and Mortar (BM) do not allow social rounds to count for handicap. ....or perhaps more accurately, BM does not process these cards for handicapping purposes.

RACV Golf is recognised by Golf Australia and is part of the Golflink system.

Player indicates that RACV is their club for handicapping purposes.

Player plays social rounds at BM and meets all of the expectations of both the RACV and Golf Australia's Conforming Social Round (CSR) policy.

Player is comfortable with handicap being underpinned by social rounds.

In addition, player also enters the occasional club completion at BM.

Presumably there is only one Golflink handicap per player.

On what basis can BM reject the players handicap?

#2 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2692 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

I know bugger all about the workings of clubs and the handicapping ins and outs of social rounds but for a BM club to reject a handicap it would appear that there may be some issues with the scores entered. The handicapper may have checked all the golflink entries and is suspicious of “handicap manipulation” but this may be way off the mark.

#3 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8692 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

A golfer is a member of a bricks and mortar golf club as well as a virtual golf club (e.g. RACV Golf).

Bricks and Mortar (BM) do not allow social rounds to count for handicap. ....or perhaps more accurately, BM does not process these cards for handicapping purposes.

Player plays social rounds at BM and meets all of the expectations of both the RACV and Golf Australia's Conforming Social Round (CSR) policy.

No need to reject, your Golf link number is your golf link number and provided the scores are entered under rule of golf. you should be good.

A number of boys on here have handicaps with RACV or Social Golf Australia or Social Golf club.

The trend now is for  Social clubs can obtain permission from Golf Victoria to be handicap providers for their players. ie these clubs maintain handicaps on scores from the social group games.

In our OOM games ISG Vic while not being a handicap provider, can process scores from our OOM games directly into golf link.

Many club competition will allow or accept these Virtual Golf Club  players to enter their club competition.

Any player can be a member of as many clubs as want, you just need to nominate one as your home club,

Think you may still be a bit confused, these Virtual Golf Clubs wont let you just send them social cards to them for handicapping from your  games with your friends last week unless its to set up an initial golflink number. 
please check with them o nthis matter

what these VGC allow players to do is obtain an Australian handicap with out the massive expense of joining a golf club like the ones you are considering in the other thread.

VGC also cater for golfers who may not play many times per year, but still want to maintain a handicap.

From what you have said in previous thread the use of a  VGC as your handicap provider sounds exactly what you want rather than the major expense of a  private club.

Edited by Can Break 80, 26 January 2018 - 04:46 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Par 3 drivin' dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37054 posts
  • LocationOn the green...with driver...

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

I think he's suggesting a combination...be a member of a club but play off a non-club provided GL.

But I'm only speculating.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#5 iTurf1.0.2

iTurf1.0.2

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16807 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Ask Weetibix .
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#6 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I think he's suggesting a combination...be a member of a club but play off a non-club provided GL.
But I'm only speculating.

Correct.

I joined RACV Golf before coming back to Australia to get some discounted accommodation at Cape Schank and some "free" rounds of golf at the RACV courses.

Just discovered their handicap service and realised it might be a good workaround to my problem of not being allowed to use social rounds as part of my handicap (which is what I have been used to for last 13 years).

The irony, for want of a better word, is that 90% of my social rounds will be at my BM club.

Edited by GeoffDickson, 26 January 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#7 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Some clubs are not allowing virtual hcps in their comps full stop. Another club I recently played at would allow virtual hcps but at a significantly increased cost ie I paid $30 and the virtual would have paid $65. I don't understand it as this club isn't flush with cash.

#8 jrg1166

jrg1166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Geoff

Apologies if I am not up to speed but I have the feeling you have returned from USA or from environment that followers their model. Having worked in the states for extended periods they rarely hand in cards the norm I found was at best once a month while the rest of the rounds were “social”. Though this was the the excepted way of playing over there and putting in a card when you felt like it with the majority of the field on a so called comp day not playing in the comp rather playing a private game within the foursome. This not the norm within the Australian golfing environment with the comp and subsequent handicap based on comp cards the standard.

I understand your frustration but the saying “When in Rome......” applies I know this means a greater expense for you but from experience trying to play like we do in Australia in the states causes issues and in the end you usually conform to the accepted practices

Edited by jrg1166, 26 January 2018 - 05:32 PM.

• Can Break 80 likes this

#9 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8692 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Correct.

I joined RACV Golf before coming back to Australia to get some discounted accommodation at Cape Schank and some "free" rounds of golf at the RACV courses.

Just discovered their handicap service and realised it might be a good workaround to my problem of not being allowed to use social rounds as part of my handicap (which is what I have been used to for last 13 years).

The irony, for want of a better word, is that 90% of my social rounds will be at my BM club.

I just looked on the RACV web site and to my surprise you can just send your social rounds to RACV for handicapping.

However I really think this service  is for part time golfers or traveller golfers who play mostly socially  every other week but want or need a GL number for those special corporate days or if a friend invites them to his foursome at his private golf club.

Edited by Can Break 80, 26 January 2018 - 05:48 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23204 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Correct.

The problem with having a VGC homed handicap is that you may be excluded from some events because some VGC handicaps are quite dodgy. As I understand it, RACV do allow mailed in scorecards to be added to their members' records. In so doing, many don't trust the validity of such handicaps because the cards are not generated under the auspices of a club competition.

I also understand that in USA, clubs don't play comps but members enter their own details into their handicap records. They do play tournaments as separate events.
In Aust, no-one is so trusting. Everything must be done under the watchful eyes of club comps or its considered dodgy. I don't know where you've been but what you want is going against the way things are done here.

I'm not suggesting that you have improper intentions but you're swimming against the tide and you are bound to run into some obstacles.

The cost of golf here is, by world standards, very cheap. Players pay green fees per event or annual membership fees to a club. There is also the per use fee of comp fees, some of which is returned by way of nominal prizes. Some clubs charge only a substantial membership with no additional comp fees. Other clubs charge only a small membership (roughly $100 per head goes to the golfing gods as affiliation fees) but members pay public green fee prices at the course.

If it's the additional cost of comp fees that concern you, find a different club with a cost model that better suits you. Generally, you get what you pay for, one way or another.
  • pom likes this

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23204 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

After starting the long post above, I see others have left somewhat similar comments.

#12 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11790 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

I just looked on the RACV web site and to my surprise you can just send your social rounds to RACV for handicapping.

However I really think this service  is for part time golfers or traveller golfers who play mostly socially  every other week but want or need a GL number for those special corporate days or if a friend invites them to his foursome at his private golf club.

This would certainly make it easier to manupulate your handicap. But then there have been blatent examples of players doing this  And then winning an important competition. It seems that Administrators of the comps rarely deal with the obvious ones let alone anyone else.In my experience it seems like dealing with cheats ,in most cases ) is not worth the hassles.

Clubs obviously are looking at ways to protect their income & following on from that, Their members. This means that they are trying to find ways to deal with handicap cheats and ways to deal with the guys that are taking these cheap options to get handicaps then trying to play in any open competitions that the clubs may run.

There are different ways of tackling these problems  but not sure if anyone has actually found a really successful one yet.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#13 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

Geoff
Apologies if I am not up to speed but I have the feeling you have returned from USA or from environment that followers their model. Having worked in the states for extended periods they rarely hand in cards the norm I found was at best once a month while the rest of the rounds were “social”. Though this was the the excepted way of playing over there and putting in a card when you felt like it with the majority of the field on a so called comp day not playing in the comp rather playing a private game within the foursome. This not the norm within the Australian golfing environment with the comp and subsequent handicap based on comp cards the standard.
I understand your frustration but the saying “When in Rome......” applies I know this means a greater expense for you but from experience trying to play like we do in Australia in the states causes issues and in the end you usually conform to the accepted practices

You offer some sage advice.

I've lived in NZ for the last 14 years.

Compulsory comp fees is just one feature of the Australian golf club business model that I need to come to grips with.

I am a 1 handicap in pursuit of being a scratch golfer. I thinking my chances of getting to scratch will increase if I submit more cards. That's the bigger motive here.

I might end up conforming....but not just yet. Must be that convict heritage :)

Edited by GeoffDickson, 26 January 2018 - 06:42 PM.

#14 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Some clubs are not allowing virtual hcps in their comps full stop. Another club I recently played at would allow virtual hcps but at a significantly increased cost ie I paid $30 and the virtual would have paid $65. I don't understand it as this club isn't flush with cash.

So a club can refuse to recognise an official Golf Australia handicap? Interesting.

From what I can see there's are only Golf Australia handicaps....I don't see virtual or non virtual mentioned in any of the policy documents. Happy to be pointed in the right direction if this is incorrect.

Edited by GeoffDickson, 26 January 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#15 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

This is what it is intended for....which is not quite the same as what it can be used for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users