75 replies to this topic

#31 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Hi Geoff Dickson, what are your handicaps..

#32 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

I’ve got some clue about running a normal Saturday comp...at my old club you either ticked the competition box or not when you printed your card...if you ticked the box you paid $5...you played golf...you scanned your card at the end of your game...and then when everyone was completed, the guy in the pro shop pressed a button or two to print out the winners sheet...and then he gave it to the (half tanked) club captain who tried to be funny whilst announcing who got $20 credited to their pro shop account. What part did I miss?

Edited by GeoffDickson, 23 January 2018 - 08:23 PM.

• Bluethunda, 2Putts, Shanks4ever and 3 others like this

#33 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14383 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Hi Geoff. You are conveying coherent sensible questions to a forum notorious for neither. You are being a good sport it. Carry on...
  • Bluethunda likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#34 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

I’ve got some clue about running a normal Saturday comp...at my old club you either ticked the competition box or not when you printed your card...if you ticked the box you paid $5...you played golf...you scanned your card at the end of your game...and then when everyone was completed, the guy in the pro shop pressed a button or two to print out the winners sheet...and then he gave it to the (half tanked) club captain who tried to be funny whilst announcing who got $20 credited to their pro shop account. What part did I miss?

Classic - you forgot to mention half pissed members that paid their $5 feeling proud about winning a $2 golf ball in the ball run down

• madness likes this

#35 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

Do you or Mr Dickson have any idea how much work goes into running a competition. Much of it done by volunteers because it is too expensive to pay someone to do it..
 Also I believe that Ad Hoc scores need to be entered by the club handicapper & cannot be scanned in by the player. I may be mistaken in this.

In a small club an ad hoc score would be entered by the handicapper or his delegate and could be done within 5 minutes. It is not done in conjunction with the processing of a comp.
In a larger club, it is handled by the pro shop but the task is much the same.

If I was GeoffDickson's club handicapper, I would refuse to process his non-comp cards and get the committee to confirm my decision, unless there was a special occasion circumstance.

If you examine pennant rules for your district, you will probably find restrictions on who may represent the club, how long they have been members, the number of competition rounds with that club within a specified time period, etc.

While Geoff may have no interest in playing pennant, it is a strong indicator of the poor esteem of ad hoc rounds in players' handicap records.

Pay the fee or just be a social golfer outside of comps.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#36 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

While the "half tanked" part is surely quite common, the difference between being in or out of the comp being just a tick would be quite unusual.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#37 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2942 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

If there were 4 mates playing together and not interested in playing in the daily competition but playing the the competition of the day ( if that makes sense) what is stopping the odd gimme being given and the occasional leather wedge being used ?
Could the handicaps be manipulated so a vanity handicap be maintained and they claim they are off single figures without a comp being played?
This is only conjecture and I guess there are players who enjoy playing golf but do not want to play in competitions for various reasons and financial ones may be a big one.
  • Bluethunda and tigertuff like this

#38 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17501 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

If there were 4 mates playing together and not interested in playing in the daily competition but playing the the competition of the day ( if that makes sense) what is stopping the odd gimme being given and the occasional leather wedge being used ?
Could the handicaps be manipulated so a vanity handicap be maintained and they claim they are off single figures without a comp being played?
This is only conjecture and I guess there are players who enjoy playing golf but do not want to play in competitions for various reasons and financial ones may be a big one.

This happens in daily comps anyways, yet you raise a valid point
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#39 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11144 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:01 AM

Well for the last 14 years of my golfing life - which is all of it - I have scanned my cards after every round regardless of whether they have been ad hoc or tournament and every one of them has been used for handicapping purposes.

At my club, it isnt compulsary to go in the comp.
You can still get a card, but it will cost 2 bucks to be handicapped.

Do you or Mr Dickson have any idea how much work goes into running a competition. Much of it done by volunteers because it is too expensive to pay someone to do it..
 Also I believe that Ad Hoc scores need to be entered by the club handicapper & cannot be scanned in by the player. I may be mistaken in this.

When we got our 2 dollar card hansicapped, it is still an AutoScore card, we still scan it in, itjust goes onto a seperate "list" that isn't in the normal comp
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#40 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

At my club, it isnt compulsary to go in the comp.
You can still get a card, but it will cost 2 bucks to be handicapped.

When we got our 2 dollar card hansicapped, it is still an AutoScore card, we still scan it in, itjust goes onto a seperate "list" that isn't in the normal comp

At least your club has put an actual dollar value, albeit nominal, on the cost of handicapping.

Your club is quite accommodating, as it seems that GeoffD's is, in allowing non-comp players in the field.  Or, do they take the view that all members have a right to play on the course, assuming conformity with membership category, booking requirements, etc.?

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#41 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24293 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

If the club's software (MiClub?) allows for non-comp entrants in the daily field, it would certainly simplify meeting GeoffD's requirements.

But I see trouble brewing with that sort of arrangement, if the number of such entrants increased.

Firstly, do the non-comp entrants' scores affect the DSR? Should they be allowed to?

Secondly, our club returns around 25% of comp fees back to the players via prizes and balls.  That's a much lower return than poker machines. Players would be much better off financially without comp fees and no prizes. It could become popular.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#42 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

If the club's software (MiClub?) allows for non-comp entrants in the daily field, it would certainly simplify meeting GeoffD's requirements.

But I see trouble brewing with that sort of arrangement, if the number of such entrants increased.
Firstly, do the non-comp entrants' scores affect the DSR? Should they be allowed to?
Secondly, our club returns around 25% of comp fees back to the players via prizes and balls. That's a much lower return than poker machines. Players would be much better off financially without comp fees and no prizes. It could become popular.

You are on to it...clubs know that the ability to play without paying a comp fee would be popular. That’s why they make it compulsory.

If a club returns only 25% to the field, then I am calling it a revenue stream rather than a membership benefit.
  • tigertuff and madness like this

#43 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

At least your club has put an actual dollar value, albeit nominal, on the cost of handicapping.
Your club is quite accommodating, as it seems that GeoffD's is, in allowing non-comp players in the field. Or, do they take the view that all members have a right to play on the course, assuming conformity with membership category, booking requirements, etc.?

Yes, in my experience the club had the view that members had a right to access the course consistent with their membership category...and you could opt in to the completion of the day.

#44 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

ROFL. 

This is a perennial issue. Why should the comp players and beer drinkers subsidise the carpark social golfers? Even if you go into the clubhouse and have a cheap cup of tea you're looked at like demon spawn.

There is no question that the comp is a source of general income rather than an event that lives in it's own little financial bubble. The worst I've seen is a Thursday comp that regularly collects $700 to $800 from comp fees, has the overall winner and grade winners sponsored by a local business every week, has volunteers doing the handicapping and gives out 4 nearest the pins and 1 ball down the line for a 5th of the field costing the club about $40 to buy the balls. One week a player in this comp had 7up, got beaten for the overall on a countback by someone in his grade so missed out on the grade prize aswell and got 1 ball. He was a regular member of the club giving them approximately $1000 every year in comp fees, had the round of his life and got 1 ball. Why would he want to keep paying that money?

What did you win today love? I won a webber bbq! How good would that be.

I think Indooroopilly has a monthly challenge where you can win a set of Taylor Mades. Unfortunately my holiday missed it by 1 week. Otherwise would have been happy to pay the fee and have a crack.

I don't think a lot of clubs try very hard to increase business.

I quite like the idea of a gold coin to be handicapped. At least there is a committiment to play properly. I don't like the ad hoc handicapping because who knows if someone is selectively choosing rounds to manipulate their handicap.

#45 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

I’m tempted to suggest that the social golfers who are ‘forced’ to pay the comp fee are actually subsidising the comp players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users