75 replies to this topic

#16 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yep and you have to pay the staff to be there to run the comp.

At a busy course i can understand that you either enter the comp or play another time.

(Extra) staff to run the comp? Really?
  • madness likes this

#17 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

If you don't want to participate in comps (win, lose, occasional little prizes), then you don't need a handicap. There is no push to compete against others. Just go and play by yourself or with your wife solely for the pleasure of hitting balls toward the hole. Play when there's no comp on, no crowds. You'll still need to pay to use the course via membership or green fees. But if that's all you want, fine.

On the other hand, if you want all the additional involvement of playing with others in comps, then expect to contribute toward the extra costs of that.

You just want something for nothing. Go and win lotto, then you won't care how much it costs. Otherwise, pay your way.

What is it that I am wanting for nothing?

What are the extra costs of running a comp?

#18 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2787 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

I don’t know how much it is to be a member at where you play but as an example at Tocumwal comp fees are $10.00 and if you play 2 or 3 comps a week it certainly adds up during the year. The fees here are less than a majority of Melbourne courses but as others have said the comp fees are covered in the yearly fees so I guess in the long run the fees would be the same.
If you want to play in the comp but not be a part of the comp are you taking a spot that would be normally available for a member wanting to play in the comp.
Are there other members who want to play but not in the comp but have their card submitted to golflink?
The options would be to play before or after the field and submit an adhoc card to golflink or find a course that has 36 holes and play the course not in use on the day and submit an adhoc card.

#19 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1738 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

(Extra) staff to run the comp? Really?

Pro shop open later to do the presentation and extra ground staff to prepare the course. We have 2 staff there on a saturday morning to prepare greens. Wouldnt be there if the comp wasnt on.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#20 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

I don’t know how much it is to be a member at where you play but as an example at Tocumwal comp fees are $10.00 and if you play 2 or 3 comps a week it certainly adds up during the year. The fees here are less than a majority of Melbourne courses but as others have said the comp fees are covered in the yearly fees so I guess in the long run the fees would be the same.
If you want to play in the comp but not be a part of the comp are you taking a spot that would be normally available for a member wanting to play in the comp.
Are there other members who want to play but not in the comp but have their card submitted to golflink?
The options would be to play before or after the field and submit an adhoc card to golflink or find a course that has 36 holes and play the course not in use on the day and submit an adhoc card.

I accept the argument that someone wanting to play in the comp should have priority over someone who just wants to play during the comp.
  • GeoffDickson likes this

#21 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3110 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Once upon a time at most clubs all comp fees were returned in prizes less a small processing fee to input the card for handicap purposes. Comp fees now are seen as an additional source of income to run the pro shop. People are "encouraged" to play comps to ensure a solid revenue base.

As an aside, nobody in their right mind is playing comps to make a profit from prizes.

• madness likes this

#22 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1738 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Last year my club made a profit of $20000 on comp fees after prizes were taken out.  It sounds like a lot, but works out a bit over $70 per comp.  That goes to covering the staff needed to roll greens, keep the shop open, licence and maintenance fees on the scoring equipment, names being put on boards and so on.  Realistically, comp fees are going to be about 10% of the full membership fee annually.  If this makes things too expensive, look for a cheaper club. 

• RobNewy and VLAD like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#23 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23706 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Doesn’t the club process my card whether I am in a comp or not?

No.

The club may choose to process the odd 'ad hoc' score card if, for example, a new player was attempting to get his handicap and had played an extra round with a member for that purpose.

But in normal circumstances, not in comp = not going into golflink.

What are you wanting for nothing? Basically, the time and effort of other people when you haven't paid for their services.

#24 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Well for the last 14 years of my golfing life - which is all of it - I have scanned my cards after every round regardless of whether they have been ad hoc or tournament and every one of them has been used for handicapping purposes.

#25 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2914 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

At my club, Palm Meadows GC, on Saturdays it is comp only, other days when there are comps you can play in the comp or not. Saturdays are generally viewed by most golfers as club comp days. Different clubs have different rules I guess.

#26 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

No.

The club may choose to process the odd 'ad hoc' score card if, for example, a new player was attempting to get his handicap and had played an extra round with a member for that purpose.

But in normal circumstances, not in comp = not going into golflink.

What are you wanting for nothing? Basically, the time and effort of other people when you haven't paid for their services.

Geez are you angry about something........the bloke just asked a question.

You have also answered the way your club works, not all work the same.

Assume GeoffD pays $4,000 a year for his membership and plays 10 times a year, will you process his card?

#27 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

At my club, Palm Meadows GC, on Saturdays it is comp only, other days when there are comps you can play in the comp or not. Saturdays are generally viewed by most golfers as club comp days. Different clubs have different rules I guess.

Non that I know of. Saturday is comp day. If you wish to take a tee time in the competition you pay the comp fee and play in the comp. If you do not wish to play competition then pick another time or find a course that does not have competitions on Saturday. Fairly simple really.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#28 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

Hi Geoff Dickson, what are your handicaps..
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#29 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23706 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Assume GeoffD pays $4,000 a year for his membership and plays 10 times a year, will you process his card?

If he pays $4000pa to play 10 times, he has a much bigger problem than whether his score cards are processed. But I very much doubt that to be his situation when he is objecting to paying the nominal comp fees for himself and his wife.

I understand his view. My comp fees are roughly twice my membership. But if that was a problem I'd cut down on beers.

#30 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Do you or Mr Dickson have any idea how much work goes into running a competition. Much of it done by volunteers because it is too expensive to pay someone to do it..

Also I believe that Ad Hoc scores need to be entered by the club handicapper & cannot be scanned in by the player. I may be mistaken in this.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users