75 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

What are your thoughts on having to pay comp fees to play during the weekly club competition (as distinct from in the competition)? Is it unreasonable to want to opt out of the comp and play alongside those that are in the competition.

Are these competitions valued by club members? Are they a source of member enjoyment or an additional revenue generator?...or a subtle tax on playing in premium time slots?

I have enough “competition” chasing par... me vs the course...that’s enough for me. But for others it must be different,

#2 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8692 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

Not sure what you mean here.

At my country club we play comp of day or just have a hit socially.

On Saturday (main comp day - stfd or stroke) its not compulsory to enter the comp and one can play socially and not return a card.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#3 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4641 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

Sanctuary Lakes require you to play comp fees on competition days irrespective of whether or not you are returning a card.

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

#4 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8692 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

What are your thoughts on having to pay comp fees to play during the weekly club competition (as distinct from in the competition)? Is it unreasonable to want to opt out of the comp and play alongside those that are in the competition.

Are these competitions valued by club members? Are they a source of member enjoyment or an additional revenue generator?...or a subtle tax on playing in premium time slots?

I have enough “competition” chasing par... me vs the course...that’s enough for me. But for others it must be different,

Now I read your post further you are asking is it worth paying to play in the comp.

Probably come back to your other thread on which course to join, if not going to play in a club comp and meet other members then really why join an expensive golf club.

One of the reasons golfer join a club is to get a gofllink number so can play in comps at your own and other fellow ISG players clubs.

If you are not interested in playing in club comps and just prefer to hit around, you would be better to play a wide range of public access courses and save a heap of money on annual fees particularly if the clubs build the comp fee into the membership structure.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#5 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

I’ll summarise it this way... I want to play Saturday mornings...I want to hand in a card....the comp is scheduled on Saturdays,...but I don’t want play in the comp because it is a compulsory $8 to play, which will add nearly $400 to my golfing budget....make that $800 given my wife is in the same situation....and this is on top of paying a premium to access the course on a Saturday. It starts to make the 6-day and other cheaper membership categories very attractive. So by chasing the extra comp revenue, the club might actually end up with less revenue (from me at least).

Bottom line....The comp has no value to me, therefore I have no enthusiasm to pay for it. I wish you could opt out.
  • Shanks4ever likes this

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Par 3 drivin' dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37051 posts
  • LocationOn the green...with driver...

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Easy then.

Heidelberg.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#7 Goldy

Goldy

Par 3 drivin' dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37051 posts
  • LocationOn the green...with driver...

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

I don't see the point of handing in the card and yet not going in the comp. There is also a cost associated with the equipment they use to process the comp - not just the card, but maintenance and licence costs to the system they use.

So you can hand in a card...choose to not take anything you may win in the comp...but its likely you'll still need to pay to do that wherever you go.
  • Can Break 80, RobNewy and VLAD like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#8 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

We pay a $12 comp fee every round, debited to your account.

From time to time I have wanted to opt out, given there is always some meaningless fourball attached to the individual comp. The fourball cash is generally allocated amongst the C graders.

I think your point about the comp fee being an additional revenue generator is valid, albeit if you didn't generate the revenue in that manner it would need to come from elsewhere. 

• pt73, Goldy and madness like this

#9 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16898 posts
  • LocationIn the left rough on 7th 105m from pin

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

Our comp fees are included in the annual fee so it doesn't cause any pain. No idea how much is allocated but since I usually play 3 times per week I'm quids in front.
ShanklinkOOM TourI am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide TourRunner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at YarrambatNAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews BeachTeam Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship FlindersRunner up 2017 Southern InvitationalWinner 2017 Keysborough InvitationalChoppers TourWinner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at SunshineWinner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23204 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

I’ll summarise it this way... I want to play Saturday mornings...I want to hand in a card....the comp is scheduled on Saturdays,...but I don’t want play in the comp because it is a compulsory $8 to play, which will add nearly $400 to my golfing budget....make that $800 given my wife is in the same situation....and this is on top of paying a premium to access the course on a Saturday. It starts to make the 6-day and other cheaper membership categories very attractive. So by chasing the extra comp revenue, the club might actually end up with less revenue (from me at least).
Bottom line....The comp has no value to me, therefore I have no enthusiasm to pay for it. I wish you could opt out.

If you don't want to participate in comps (win, lose, occasional little prizes), then you don't need a handicap. There is no push to compete against others. Just go and play by yourself or with your wife solely for the pleasure of hitting balls toward the hole. Play when there's no comp on, no crowds. You'll still need to pay to use the course via membership or green fees. But if that's all you want, fine.

On the other hand, if you want all the additional involvement of playing with others in comps, then expect to contribute toward the extra costs of that.

You just want something for nothing. Go and win lotto, then you won't care how much it costs. Otherwise, pay your way.

#11 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

I don't see the point of handing in the card and yet not going in the comp. There is also a cost associated with the equipment they use to process the comp - not just the card, but maintenance and licence costs to the system they use.

So you can hand in a card...choose to not take anything you may win in the comp...but its likely you'll still need to pay to do that wherever you go.

Yep and you have to pay the staff to be there to run the comp.

At a busy course i can understand that you either enter the comp or play another time.
  • GeoffDickson and VLAD like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#12 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6561 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

So, you want to take a slot on the busiest golf day, play in competition conditions, hand in a card, have it processed and all for no extra cost?
  • iTurf1.0.2, RobNewy, Francie and 3 others like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#13 iTurf1.0.2

iTurf1.0.2

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16800 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

So, you want to take a slot on the busiest golf day, play in competition conditions, hand in a card, have it processed and all for no extra cost?

Fcuk you are clever
  • Mr_C, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and madness like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#14 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

[quote name="Mr_C" post="1596086" timestamp="1516527029"]

So, you want to take a slot on the busiest golf day, play in competition conditions, hand in a card, have it processed and all for no extra cost?[/quote

Something like that...what do you mean by competition conditions? I’m yet to play in a Saturday comp that feels or looks different from a social round.

Doesn’t the club process my card whether I am in a comp or not?

#15 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6561 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Fcuk you are clever

You've noticed?
  • iTurf1.0.2 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364