Photo

Gps And Rangefinders And How Do They Put Value On Ya Course You Play?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

That's cool, I've never seen it printed on the cards before. 

it is a pretty special club, they lads who pay their membership there would want something cool for it haha

• Itchy4Scratch likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#32 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

My pseudo home club has the best way, distance markers to the front of the green and then the pin measurements on the score card. There is nothing surer. 

That's fine for  DJ-like striker of the ball like your good self Bump, hitting all those fairways dead center an all.

But I'm often so far out left or right I would need my trigonometry book and skills to work out the angle of the hypotenuse, the tangent cosine relationship and how far the pin is actually back in real time :blink:

And you've no idea the difference it makes to me whether the pin is in fact 143 or 149 meters away. (The answer being diddly-squat).

#33 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

all of the normal Sunday games I've played there they have. 

Not specifically a pin sheet, it's just another column on the printed card.

if Upin sees this he may confirm, but I am sure that it they do it for Sundays, I reckon they'd do it every time 

Every comp day......which is now every day.

• BumpunRun likes this

#34 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23706 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

That's fine for  DJ-like striker of the ball like your good self Bump, hitting all those fairways dead center an all.

But I'm often so far out left or right I would need my trigonometry book and skills to work out the angle of the hypotenuse, the tangent cosine relationship and how far the pin is actually back in real time :blink:

And you've no idea the difference it makes to me whether the pin is in fact 143 or 149 meters away. (The answer being diddly-squat).

All that American spelling in your post, are you not from this world?
If you are a foreigner, some things are forgiven. Otherwise, we speak strine here.

#35 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

All that American spelling in your post, are you not from this world?
If you are a foreigner, some things are forgiven. Otherwise, we speak strine here.

:huh:

What yank-speak was I using OB?

Diddly-squat might have US of A origins, but we were using that in pommy land back in my youth. I've been in Straya for 30 years, and all my foreign-speak is pommy. I'll be using a lot of it at The Gabba tomorrow :D

Edited by bazinoz, 18 January 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#36 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23706 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

:huh:

What yank-speak was I using OB?

Diddly-squat might have US of A origins, but we were using that in pommy land back in my youth. I've been in Straya for 30 years, and all my foreign-speak is pommy. I'll be using a lot of it at The Gabba tomorrow :D

As a pom, you should know how to spell 'centre' and the difference between a meter and a metre. I suppose that "an all" in lieu of "and all" could have been an intentional bit of slang, along with your "diddly".

Edited by OldBogey, 18 January 2018 - 07:05 PM.

• Bluethunda likes this

#37 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3513 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Oz, I reckon a gps or range finder should be given to every newbie as they enter golf so they could stop bloody thinking they hit a 7 iron 150m. Then once they have that solved, it can be discarded.

Nothing more frustrating than the next three chips when a high handicapper can’t hit a ball pin high (accurately or not) because they once hit a 7 iron 155m and now think anything less is a lay up.

I used to have a reputation (long gone) for giving the ball some grief but even in those days I’d OWN the fact my 6i (31 degree loft for those wondering) was the 150m club.
  • RobNewy and ozdevil like this
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#38 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1476 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

What would be interesting to see is if there was a variance of scores if the average to below average golfer played a game without pins and only had front middle and back of green distances and which way the variance went.
  • Placegetter likes this

#39 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8911 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:35 AM

What would be interesting to see is if there was a variance of scores if the average to below average golfer played a game without pins and only had front middle and back of green distances and which way the variance went.

Lukos

are you suggesting that golfer tend to flag hunt a lot more if they use a laser.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#40 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1476 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:43 AM

Lukos
are you suggesting that golfer tend to flag hunt a lot more if they use a laser.

Spot on, increase target area and I would say a lot of people would lower their scores.
I know for sure it's got me in trouble on many an occasion.

#41 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11042 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

Lukos

As i mentioned earlier, since my laser broke, im shooting much better scores
  • Can Break 80, Bluethunda and Lukos87 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#42 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8911 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

As i mentioned earlier, since my laser broke, im shooting much better scores

Rob i agree with you. At gardiners and indeed lots of courses, there are a number of holes where the best miss is front of green regardless of flag position.

PS: good work and keep doing what you are, as your handicap is coming way down. 

• RobNewy likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users