Photo

Gps And Rangefinders And How Do They Put Value On Ya Course You Play?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6859 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

I am interested in this becuase i can understand how it benifits outside of the home course..

my home course i dont use gps or a range finder  because i feel i know my distances etc and i can guess the distance  from ball to pin ok and i know the breaks on greens  and know the distances i drive off the tee..

but what benifits do you really get from ya home course by using these devices?

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#2 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17383 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

I used to generalise my iron distance 150-7i 170-5i. I then purchased a rangefinder and was able to really dial in what iron to use. I play mostly at home course and found owning a rangefinder helped my game.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#3 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9042 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

I am interested in this becuase i can understand how it benifits outside of the home course..

my home course i dont use gps or a range finder  because i feel i know my distances etc and i can guess the distance  from ball to pin ok and i know the breaks on greens  and know the distances i drive off the tee..

but what benifits do you really get from ya home course by using these devices?

If you continually play only one course and there is a lot of water hazards or fwy bunkers then a GPS can give you the distance to those from the tees of the day, also if you are laying up these help.

Also helps if you carve over on opposite fwy and need a distance to green.

If your course has 150m and 100m markers in fwy or has the posts on side of fwy and these measure to middle of green, then using a gps will give you front middle and back of green.

If have the posts and no gps  just pace off and do calculation that way.

Also for a given hole are you going to hit a bounce on shot or one you fly all way back. because that will change every day.

pro's in tournaments in Australia, still use the distance markers and not gps's or lasers.

Edited by Can Break 80, 15 January 2018 - 06:58 AM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5565 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

Its easier to just point and shoot to get the distance rather than having to work it out or pace it off.

Doesnt necessarily mean you're going to hit a good shot but if i see a number i like it gives me a fair bit of confidence.
  • Bluethunda likes this

#5 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11061 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

I used a gps and laser.
My laser has been broken for a few months.

Just using the gps, im shooting better scores
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23999 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

I use both.  The GPS gives me a ball park figure and the laser provides an exact measurement.

If I miss the flag with the laser, I'll know from what the GPS said. And, if it's a long green, there can be a two club difference.

Knowing how far to go is definitely a help, even if I'm a little wide.

• Bluethunda likes this

#7 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

Nobody knows
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#8 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19569 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

Uphill shots to the greens at Beacy I'll use a combination of both. Rangefinder for a pin location where you can't see the depth it's sitting at, (nor the front of green at times) 

GPS for the distance to front of green, to then work out how far on the pin is, in order to decide whether to try dropping it short and bounce on, or fly it onto the front of the green. 

With a couple of long greens, and lots of uphill approach shots, having both comes in handy on my home course.

• Can Break 80 and RobNewy like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Being able to see where the flag is located on any green can be very beneficial, especially when the group in front is putting out. I'd suggest the average club golfer could do a heap better if they took the club for the yardage to the back of the green and not try to hit their best shot to a certain specific distance.

Jon...    

• iRON MiCK likes this

#10 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17383 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

I use both.  The GPS gives me a ball park figure and the laser provides an exact measurement.
If I miss the flag with the laser, I'll know from what the GPS said. And, if it's a long green, there can be a two club difference.

Knowing how far to go is definitely a help, even if I'm a little wide.

Hey OB don't be too hard on your girth. So what if you enjoy a beer or two after golf. Maybe look at walking nine then cart nine holes. Cut back on breads, and other carbs. This should slowly help your width issues. :)
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#11 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38503 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Uphill shots to the greens at Beacy I'll use a combination of both. Rangefinder for a pin location where you can't see the depth it's sitting at, (nor the front of green at times)

GPS for the distance to front of green, to then work out how far on the pin is, in order to decide whether to try dropping it short and bounce on, or fly it onto the front of the green.

With a couple of long greens, and lots of uphill approach shots, having both comes in handy on my home course.

Time for a forum name change.

GPS_Rangefinder
  • Francie likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#12 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2870 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

I use a rangefinder on a few holes if the pin is up the back and I am unsure of the distance and it can be a club or more difference from middle to back and the gps might be making me think twice about the distance. Mind you if I am shaking like a dog pooping razor blades using the rangefinder, the trees behind the green often get pinged and it’s obvious that the pin is not 210 metres away when the gps says it’s 130 to the back of the green.
  • Francie likes this

#13 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

At my club when these things hit the market every man and his dog had one (except me)

Now you rarely see them. Wonder why that is.

#14 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5565 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Every man and their dog still has them at my club. Barely see anyone without either a GPS or laser, or both, or they're asking you for a distance all day. 

• RobNewy likes this

#15 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23999 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hey OB don't be too hard on your girth. So what if you enjoy a beer or two after golf. Maybe look at walking nine then cart nine holes. Cut back on breads, and other carbs. This should slowly help your width issues. :)

Thanks Turfie. Minimal sugars (I still enjoy the odd piece of dark choc), no grains, but the beers don't help. Shrinking is a very slow process.
I play up to 6 times a week and the hips, knees and feet would crash if I tried all that walking. It was a lot different when I was a young bloke of 50.
  • Bluethunda likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users