#1 Internationals2015

Internationals2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Hi Bruce,

I note that this year the local tour will be played over 16 +/- events, most worth in the vicinity of $100K. Is there any word (or rumour) of the non tournament states (SA, TAS and the ACT) to have their Opens played on the tour?

Whilst I comprehend that $100K isn't huge money, 3 or 4 more tournaments provides more playing exposure, and helps some of our younger Professionals develop before heading to the larger tours.

My personal view is that the PGA should aim for 20-26 events, enabling younger players the opportunity to make enough money to stay in the game. I know a few blokes that have quit touring citing a lack of opportunities.

OneAsia was supposed to bridge this gap, but with the demise of that tour, the PGA has to get proactive.

Last one, will the South Pacific championship be returning to New Caledonia this year?

Thoughts?

#2 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3190 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hi Internationals

Some interesting points here including your suggestion that the introduction of three or four more events to the Australasian schedule, even at $100,000, would be beneficial to the development of players.

I agree, especially if those events could be played in conjunction with other events in an area in order to ensure travel to such regions would be cost effective. This one off approach which has been evident of late hardly saves on costs for a player although getting one event in a region is hard enough without trying to find a second one. 

Take last week's one off event in Auckland for example. For any of the players crossing the Tasman to play a $100,000 event they would likely have need to finish inside the top ten or better just to cover expenses never mind make a profit.

Such events do offer a competitive environment admittedly and sometimes golfers have to pay for their education and experience just like those in the real world have to. Professional golfers are certainly not owed a living and I am a great believer that if a player is good enough he (or she) will get there in the end.

Professional golf is no more than the entertainment industry and if your game is not capable of bringing people through the gates to watch then does it deserve the chance to play for higher prizemoney? Although, granted, there is a learning curve to be negotiated as a player develops to the stage where he can take things to the next level. 

History shows however that even putting $100,000 events together is a tough ask for the tournament promoters and organisations rather than the PGA who risk very little of their own money for such events. They are paid a sanctioning fee to cover their costs in managing events which are part of their tour (their PGA Championship is perhaps an exception)

It would be nice if it was as easy done as said but clearly it is not even for relatively small prizemoney.

As to 26 events each season then I think that is very unlikely in the near or even foreseeable future given the task faced by promoters in getting the events they even do at this stage.

Sorry mate am not sure if the South Pacific event is on this year or not, It is not in their current schedule although there are no doubt a number of events still to be confirmed and it may well be.     

• iRON MiCK likes this

#3 Internationals2015

Internationals2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the response Bruce.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users