37 replies to this topic

#31 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

So if the wedges haven't been done how can they now have different flexes and swingweights ? It would make alot of sense to extend the wedges even if you don't change the shafts to something else. Big shift in the lie angles too, anywhere from 1.75 to 4.25 degrees flatter ?
Jon...

Edit, sorry my bad you've put in the Vokeys but can't see the 58* getting heavier in swingweight at that length

All they did to the Vokeys was adjust the lie angles.  Will start looking into new shafts for the wedges (or just extending them).  My spec sheet has lengths of 36.50", 36.25" & 36.00" for the GW, SW & LW respectively.

My limited understanding is that they will need to take the shafts out to adjust the swingweight anyway, so I'm leaning to new shafts- just NFI what to look for.  Same Modus shafts, Wedge specific Modus shafts, something heavier/lighter etc etc etc..

Winner B grade OOM Gardiners Run Nov 2017

GolfLink

#32 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

Extending them to those specs will give you a heavier swing-weighting straight away and worth a try. I'd suggest that you should have the same Modus 3 120 Xflex shaft in your gap wedge for continuity for the full shots. Then to put the heavier Modus 3 130 Xflex into your sand and lob wedges would be interesting for accuracy and stability with the bunker and shorter shots from 60 in ?
Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 08 August 2018 - 05:23 PM.

• ExMrBlonde likes this

#33 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:10 AM

...I'd suggest that you ....

Thanks Jon..  I think this is the justification I needed.

My limited reading so far has me leaning this way.  Would be great to 'test' them, but I don't like my chances of finding these specs..  I hardly ever (never) use the SW or LW on full shots - I exclusively use the SW for softer sand and the LW for harder sand and tricky greenside shots over bunkers etc..  GW is basically anything 100 and under including greenside chipping.

GolfLink

#34 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:58 PM

Have a Trackman session booked for this week and I'll take my 7 iron again to compare results to last weeks session with the old shaft.  Should make for some interesting reading.  I expect to see lower spin and a bit more distance based on what I saw on the course on Saturday.  Will post up the before and after data on Friday afternoon hopefully.

OK.. Just back from my Trackman session with the new shaft.

Makes for some interesting reading to say the least....

Slightly higher spin rate, which I didn't expect.

Higher Launch Angle and Dynamic Loft, which I also didn't expect.

Swing speed up - I assume due to the higher Swing Weight.

Distance WAY up - de-loft and 1 inch extra length will do that.

Before:

Titleist AP2 716 7 iron

Ball - Bridgestone BX5

Loft 34.5

Lie 64

Length 37.00"

Swing Weight D2.4

Shaft DG AMT S300

7iron_DG_AMT_S300.png

After:

Titleist AP2 716 7 iron

Ball - Bridgestone BX5 & ProV1X (tagged)

Loft 32.0

Lie 60.5

Length 38.00"

Swing Weight D5.0

Shaft Nippon Modus 3 120 X

7Iron_Modus120x.png

• Forrest Gardener likes this

GolfLink

#35 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41666 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

Wow

Huge improvement in dispersion
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#36 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:16 AM

Interpreting the data, will tell you that the longer and stiffer shaft combination has given you a more stable impact position and square clubface thru the hitting area. The heavier swingweight is a positive because it allows you to know and feel where the clubhead is during the downswing. The gain in clubhead speed is in part due to the extra length and probably the confidence to swing the club, better.

Part of the extra distance is because of the stronger loft, although your getting more launch and spin from not being able to bend the shaft as much, which gives you a truer dynamic loft at impact. The mid kick point of the Modus versus the high kp of the AMT is also part of the equation and even though some of the data is contrary to a perfect result, it balances out and gives you a better set of specs for your swing.

Now all you have to do is get your smash factor up a tad and it will all be great. Maybe if the Modus shafts had been soft stepped x 1 as a test first it could have given a longer lasting result over the next 5 years or so !

Jon...     

• ExMrBlonde likes this

#37 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

Now all you have to do is get your smash factor up a tad and it will all be great.

Thanks Jon - great when someone who knows what they're talking about can translate these numbers.  Quick question on the smash factor though.  Obviously its Ball Speed / Club Speed.  Do you think my 'flipping' impact would have the biggest bearing on this ?

Now that I have the confidence that I the right tools are in place is there - I know I can continue on my journey in ironing thing out with the swing (pardon the pun)..

GolfLink

#38 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

The end difference with the stiffer shafts might be that you have to go harder at the swing all of the time, which isn't the best for your timing and contact. This could result in the continued " flipping " although you also had this action with the AMT shafts that were softer. To find a better shaft and right forearm plane during the downswing would be a good start to getting rid of the flipping. How you achieve this via lag and a better rhythm from the top is mostly about training your muscles to get into the right positions during transition.

On a side note, the reason that I mentioned soft stepping the shafts was to get the shaft to do a bit more work for you, rather than you having to hit hard at the ball every time. This would give you the chance to get your transition working and time the components of your swing better. 

If you want to reduce the dispersion even more, I'd suggest trying a bit more loft and add maybe 1 or 2 degrees to the irons. It would mean giving up 3 or 4 metres in length but the extra loft will give you a slightly higher ball flight driven by backspin and that will translate into accuracy. Adding loft to the irons would also depend on how much bounce the clubs already have built in, at their current specs ? 

So far the combinations of the longer shaft, heavier swingweight and stiffer flex have proven that your confidence with ball striking, distance and dispersion have increased to the very good area. Now it's only a matter of syncing the swing to match those factors and that should also add to the timing and your smash factor will improve too !

Jon...   

Edited by golfguy33, 12 August 2018 - 11:07 AM.

• iRON MiCK and ExMrBlonde like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users