#16 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

Is that down at The Dunes?
Always wanted to play it off the tips

Nah - Sanctuary Lakes.. But just saw The Dunes have one every month, with the next on 6th Feb.  I might jump on that one.. May be smarter to wait until 6 March which is a Stableford event.  Much safer than Stroke..

• RobNewy and Lukos87 like this

Winner B grade OOM Gardiners Run Nov 2017

GolfLink

#17 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Had what felt like my best driving game today in the Tombstone at Sanctuary Lakes - a far cry from the disaster at Huntingdale 2 weeks ago.

First time I've played it off the tips - and what a difference.

The prevailing Southerly was replaced with a 25km/h Northerly and the pleasant temperatures replaced with a scorching 40+ degrees.

Ended up with 32 points and probably left 5 or 6 out there with some poor chipping and putting.

My friend ARCCOS recorded 4 new PB's too - Longest Drive (319 M), Most Pars (8), Fewest Bogeys (4), Lowest Drive Handicap (+5.9).  Just spewing I couldn't take advantage of a red-hot driver which saw 10 of 14 fairways hit, with the misses on 3 trying to cut the corner, 8 running out of the short stuff, on 10 into the wind slicing wide right and on 12 trying to fight off the strong left to right wind, again slicing.

Approach play was tough with the wind, and the resulting chips were just merde !!  GIR was 5 of 18, although I think needing 3, 4 & 5 irons into the greens was more the culprit rather than the trusty 52 degree I've become accustomed to.

Really enjoyed the experience, if not the scorching heat.

• GhettoGolfer, Madam, RobNewy and 2 others like this

GolfLink

#18 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12607 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Mad dogs and English men in today's weather. 32pts is a good score.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#19 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Joined the SGA guys for round 1 of their Matchplay comp at everyone’s favorite course - Eynesbury.

First time playing matchplay for >20 years and forgot how much I loved it.

We’re square after 7. With a shot up my sleeve on our 8th hole, I went on a run of 4 wins in the next 5 holes with a Par, Bogey, Bogey (half), 40 meter chip in Birdie and Par.

Then the scores got to my head and started thinking what I needed. 4 up with 6 to go had the mind ticking.

“Win two more holes and it’s done” turned in to losing the next three holes with terrible driving, irons and short game.

1 up with 3 to go. Got to the 9th hole (our 16th) and my opponent smacks one down the middle. I step up and fly one straight into the left hand trap. Walk up to a lucky break, finding the ball had run through into the rough leaving a 9 iron in over those stupid fairway trees instead of a mystery bet shot (bunkers were in PUTRID condition). Got to the front edge, as did my opponent and it became a chipping comp. Both of us stuffed them and two putted to half the hole going into the Par 5 tenth.

Opponent puts his into the left trap and I stupidly slice one a couple of meters from the water hazard under a tree. He blasts out to the right of the fairway and my 3 iron 25% swing hits the only overhanging branch and drops 20 meters in front of me with another tree in my way. Another chip out, this time advancing 120 meters. Opponent hits his third into the front right trap and I pitch 105 meters to about 20 feet. Get up to see my opponent in probably the worst bunker on the course - more grass than sand and hard as a rock.  He flys the green into the back trap and hits his 5th to about 15 feet.  2 putt for me left him with a tricky downhill put to half.  Thankfully (for me), he misses and it's game over (which we only realised half way to the next tee).

Driver was nowhere near as good as Friday, approach shots nothing to write home about, but VERY handy around the greens with the chipping, which certainly took the pressure off the putting.

Greens were in very good condition, but the heat looks to have taken its toll on the rest of the course.  Hard fairways that are in need of a drink and bunkers that look like they haven't been raked since New Years Day.  Understandably dry and almost expected with the weather lately, but the bunkers were disappointing.

After frying on Friday and sweating through today, it's time for a bit of a break now.  Next game will be Thursday night 9-hole twilight comp at Sanctuary Lakes, where I'm looking to add to my 19 points from 2 weeks ago.

• RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

GolfLink

#20 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Crap twilight comp last night on the back 9 at Sanctuary Lakes..

Started off with my best shot of the day, and quickly downhill from there..one 1-pointer, four 2-pointers, a 3-pointer (on my first hole) and 3 wipes..  12 points in favorable conditions for the NAGA.

Hit 1 fairway, 3 GIR and basically sprayed everything.  Either a pull left or that horrible high slice

Can feel myself cutting the ball, but seems as though I can't do anything to get my swing path back to some form of normality.  I reckon it has a lot to do with watching too much Golf Channel instructional vids on ball shaping, which has thrown me right out of whack.  Monster session coming on the range to try and sort it out - otherwise it'll be NAGA Sunday at the frog..

GolfLink

#21 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Just built up the courage for my OOM update.

Similar to my last post, it was a day of good, bad and disgusting.
Driver really let me down - pretty much all day.

Front nine was OK, but a lack of course knowledge let me down, and having my time again, would play 1, 4, 6, 7 & 9 differently.
18 points on the front with the highlight being my blind 3W 2nd into the 8th hole from the left rough that travelled 255 meters onto the green where Goldy and crew were putting out. From here, it was ALL downhill.
Topped my drive on 10 which skinned the casual water and into the rough. Pitched out across the fairway onto a sprinkler head. Took relief and from 65 out went pitch, putt, putt for a 5.
Topped it on 11 short of the ladies tee after trying to belt the crap out of it, hooked my 2nd OOB, 4th into the fairway bunker, blah blah blah - wipe.
Pulled my 4i 20 meters left on 12 into the hazard and managed to chip on and 2 putt for another bogey before the fun started.
Slice 13 wipe
Slice 14 wipe
Topped (3rd time) on 15. Travelled short of the ladies tee AGAIN and hacked it up the fairway, 3 iron pulled FAAAR left - wipe.
Some self reflection and a chat to my banana saw me slow down the swing and hit a solid 6iron into 16 for a reg par, followed my another pulled drive on 17 that nearly went OOB. Managed a nice chip and 2 putt for par.
18 saw another high slice leave me too far in. Put my 3W into the front right bunker and took 4 shots to get down from there for a 6 and 10 bloody points !!!

A really frustrating back nine which tested my resolve. Failed the test abysmally, but the day was made MUCH better by the great company of GPJ, Mouldy and Joe.
  • GhettoGolfer, iRON MiCK and Joe79 like this

GolfLink

#22 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2973 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

As said in the OOM thread you really can hit a ball but just went awry for you and was really feeling it for you most of the round.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.6 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#23 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12607 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Aim left

18.4 by Dec. 2018

#24 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Went and had a lesson a couple of weeks ago to try and fix the inconsistent approach shots.

Earned the nickname 'Dolphin' for the amount of flipping of the wrists on anything from a 6-iron in.

Once recorded and slowed down on video, the 'wristy' shots were very evident, as well as the paused hip rotation about 2/3 of he way into the downswing.  AKA casting, the hands lead the downswing, the wrists unhinge too early and the swing bottomed out before reaching the ball.

Solution 1 - Impact bag.  A flipped swing will be found out quick smart.  After a few swings, you really get to feel what impact should feel like.  Basically trying to move the bag using your stomach, hips, chest.  Do it wrong, and you can do some real damage to the wrists.

Solution 2-  swing a weighted club.  This forces the lower body and core to engage in the swing, preventing the hands from dominating.

Both of these are easy in practice, but out on the course is a different story.  Replace the impact bag with a little white ball and the wrists take over.  A work in progress which feels like a complete overhaul, but essential for me to get that consistent ball striking back.

Let's see how we go tomorrow.....

• mrbluu, ink and hack2489 like this

GolfLink

#25 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12607 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Good luck mate. You got good advice. Getting a lesson was a good idea.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users