#16 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

Is that down at The Dunes?
Always wanted to play it off the tips

Nah - Sanctuary Lakes.. But just saw The Dunes have one every month, with the next on 6th Feb.  I might jump on that one.. May be smarter to wait until 6 March which is a Stableford event.  Much safer than Stroke..

• RobNewy and Lukos87 like this

Winner B grade OOM Gardiners Run Nov 2017

GolfLink

#17 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Had what felt like my best driving game today in the Tombstone at Sanctuary Lakes - a far cry from the disaster at Huntingdale 2 weeks ago.

First time I've played it off the tips - and what a difference.

The prevailing Southerly was replaced with a 25km/h Northerly and the pleasant temperatures replaced with a scorching 40+ degrees.

Ended up with 32 points and probably left 5 or 6 out there with some poor chipping and putting.

My friend ARCCOS recorded 4 new PB's too - Longest Drive (319 M), Most Pars (8), Fewest Bogeys (4), Lowest Drive Handicap (+5.9).  Just spewing I couldn't take advantage of a red-hot driver which saw 10 of 14 fairways hit, with the misses on 3 trying to cut the corner, 8 running out of the short stuff, on 10 into the wind slicing wide right and on 12 trying to fight off the strong left to right wind, again slicing.

Approach play was tough with the wind, and the resulting chips were just merde !!  GIR was 5 of 18, although I think needing 3, 4 & 5 irons into the greens was more the culprit rather than the trusty 52 degree I've become accustomed to.

Really enjoyed the experience, if not the scorching heat.

• GhettoGolfer, Madambo, RobNewy and 2 others like this

GolfLink

#18 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11349 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

Mad dogs and English men in today's weather. 32pts is a good score.

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#19 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Joined the SGA guys for round 1 of their Matchplay comp at everyone’s favorite course - Eynesbury.

First time playing matchplay for >20 years and forgot how much I loved it.

We’re square after 7. With a shot up my sleeve on our 8th hole, I went on a run of 4 wins in the next 5 holes with a Par, Bogey, Bogey (half), 40 meter chip in Birdie and Par.

Then the scores got to my head and started thinking what I needed. 4 up with 6 to go had the mind ticking.

“Win two more holes and it’s done” turned in to losing the next three holes with terrible driving, irons and short game.

1 up with 3 to go. Got to the 9th hole (our 16th) and my opponent smacks one down the middle. I step up and fly one straight into the left hand trap. Walk up to a lucky break, finding the ball had run through into the rough leaving a 9 iron in over those stupid fairway trees instead of a mystery bet shot (bunkers were in PUTRID condition). Got to the front edge, as did my opponent and it became a chipping comp. Both of us stuffed them and two putted to half the hole going into the Par 5 tenth.

Opponent puts his into the left trap and I stupidly slice one a couple of meters from the water hazard under a tree. He blasts out to the right of the fairway and my 3 iron 25% swing hits the only overhanging branch and drops 20 meters in front of me with another tree in my way. Another chip out, this time advancing 120 meters. Opponent hits his third into the front right trap and I pitch 105 meters to about 20 feet. Get up to see my opponent in probably the worst bunker on the course - more grass than sand and hard as a rock.  He flys the green into the back trap and hits his 5th to about 15 feet.  2 putt for me left him with a tricky downhill put to half.  Thankfully (for me), he misses and it's game over (which we only realised half way to the next tee).

Driver was nowhere near as good as Friday, approach shots nothing to write home about, but VERY handy around the greens with the chipping, which certainly took the pressure off the putting.

Greens were in very good condition, but the heat looks to have taken its toll on the rest of the course.  Hard fairways that are in need of a drink and bunkers that look like they haven't been raked since New Years Day.  Understandably dry and almost expected with the weather lately, but the bunkers were disappointing.

After frying on Friday and sweating through today, it's time for a bit of a break now.  Next game will be Thursday night 9-hole twilight comp at Sanctuary Lakes, where I'm looking to add to my 19 points from 2 weeks ago.

• RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

GolfLink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users