37 replies to this topic

#1 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

OK - need a place to share and document my comeback to this beautiful game, and who better than you bunch of muppets !!

Thought I'd have a bit of a trip down memory lane before I have a look forward.

Started playing as an early teen at Altona Lakes Golf course when it first opened in the mid 80's.  I went to school next to the course, played soccer next door and remember chasing rabbits through the old briquette depot that used to be there.

My first job as a 15 year old was at the golf course driving the 4 wheeler picking up golf balls in the driving range after school.  Clyde Boyer was my boss (who also ran Ivanhoe at the time) and the pro was Mike Cahill, who left to teach at Eagle Ridge when it first opened.

Basically spent my mid/late teens at the course hitting balls and putting.

Managed to get the handicap into the high 3's when I was 16/17, played some schoolboy comps (which I did OK at) and joined Kooringal GC about then too after doing my Year 10 work experience there.  Work experience involved playing ALL day !!  Stayed at Kooringal for about 5 years before giving up on membership and just traveling throughout the state with mates to play at different courses - even became a member at Woodend at some stage.

I went overseas for the 1998 World Cup, and that was it !!!

Returned to Oz in late 2000, sold my trusty Hogan Edge blades and pretty much didn't play until early 2017 (albeit a round or two in that time).

Since then, I've gone a bit nuts and the bug has well and truly bitten me on the a$$.

Got some hand-me-down Wilsons given to me, with my old Pro-Tec 1 iron, my original TM Burner Bubble and trusty Ping Zing 2 putter.

Hit a few shots at the driving range with 'updated' equipment, and that was it !!!

Clubs gone and replaced with a M1 Driver, a hybrid (which I can't/won't use), Titleist irons, TM wedges and putter.  Could not believe the advances in technology, which I think is part of the reason for the re-invigoration (see stat keeping below)..

Now the fun part - the comeback !!

Have played Werribee and Sanctuary Lakes mainly since Feb, with a couple of OOM's and some SGA matches.  The shotmaking is still there, but the gap between the good and the bad is HUGE !!

Golflink will show 'Played To' scores ranging between 76 (Gardiners Run OOM3) and 100 - scores that are 7 weeks apart !!!

Not knowing which game will rear it's head is the most frustrating part.

When I'm on, I know I can shoot low.  -1 (24 points) on the front nine at Sanctuary on 21 Dec proves that.  The unfortunate part is that a week later, I had 7 points on the same 9 holes in favorable conditions !!!!

The stats part of the game is also something I enjoy, and Arccos has well and truly filled that hole since XMas.  It's shown me in no uncertain terms where my strengths and weaknesses lie.

Strokes gained stats from Arccos:

Driving: +1.1

Approach: 20.7 (eeekkk)

Chipping: 11.1

Sand: 23.4

Putting: 3.4

The distances I'm seeing in the clubs is also fascinating.  I recall feeling like I was cheating the first time I used my new driver on the course. As a late teen with my good old Burner Bubble, I remember being able to hit half way up the fence at the back of Altona Lakes driving range when there was a bit of a helping northerly.  Set at 205 meters, I thought that was big then.  These days, it's quite easily achieved into the southerly wind with a few more creaky joints to hinder.

Arccos gives me a 'smart' distance of 238 meters, with a range of 226-253, with my longest being 305M !!!

3 wood range of 195-228

3 iron 187-203

For me - these sort of numbers boggle my mind !!

Had a lesson with Stuart Leong a couple of months back to try and sort out the swing consistency issues I'm experiencing.  He noticed a major flaw in my shoulder rotation where I'd dip the left shoulder at the beginning of the backswing rather than rotating, resulting in my knees buckling, head bobbing and core swaying.  Been tough trying to rectify and I think compounds the inconsistent ball striking.  The more I think about it on the course, the greater the variation in the shot. 

I had an aim of getting the 'cap back into single digits by the end of 2017, which I managed  by 0.4.  Now, I'm looking to get below 5 by the end of 2018.  Not sure if it'll take more course time or hard yards in the range (which I'm not too keen on), but I know I've got it in me - just need to tighten some screws.

I'm looking to use this as a place to share the journey over the next 12 months and to document what I hope to be a fun ride...

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, RobNewy and 4 others like this

Winner B grade OOM Gardiners Run Nov 2017

GolfLink

#2 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41964 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of ISG blogging
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#3 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14335 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

Hey you already can play. If you want to play to 5 that is cool. Good Luck. 45 points is pretty slick off single figures...

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#4 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14792 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Welcome back to the nuthouse!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#5 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

I'm guessing that your hybrid has a graphite shaft in it and you just can't keep it on the planet ?

No good having a club in the bag that isn't being used when required on the course.

Can I suggest that by changing the shaft to steel, the same shaft that you have in your irons, it will give you the feel of an iron and become very controllable re spin, launch and distance.

Glad you've found the bug again, strap in for the ride !

Jon...   

#6 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

Hey you already can play. If you want to play to 5 that is cool. Good Luck. 45 points is pretty slick off single figures...

'Slickness' is relative - as are scores.  IIRC, you pipped me by 1 point at Gardiners, which makes you 'Xtra slick'.

I'm guessing that your hybrid has a graphite shaft in it and you just can't keep it on the planet ?

No good having a club in the bag that isn't being used when required on the course.

Can I suggest that by changing the shaft to steel, the same shaft that you have in your irons, it will give you the feel of an iron and become very controllable re spin, launch and distance.

Glad you've found the bug again, strap in for the ride !

Jon...   

It's a 2016 M1 hybrid which is the only club I consistently hook - and by hook, I mean HOOOOOOOOOOK !!!  I just don't like it, so may be a mental block.  The iron set I bought was 4-PW, so there was a major gap between the 3W and 4 iron or a while.  Was told hybrids were the duck's nuts as I'd never hit one before, so invested after a few hits in the shop.  On course was poo.  Have since put the club in the garage and replaced with a Mizuno 3 iron which covers the gap and actually goes (relatively) straight.

• iRON MiCK likes this

GolfLink

#7 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5661 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

'Slickness' is relative - as are scores. IIRC, you pipped me by 1 point at Gardiners, which makes you 'Xtra slick'.

So you actually beat him by about 20 shots then or?
  • RobNewy likes this

#8 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11143 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

So you actually beat him by about 20 shots then or?

Didnt everybody?
  • Goldy and Itchy4Scratch like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5661 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Didnt everybody?

Not me, I didn't play

#10 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38967 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

You still did.

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#11 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4705 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

ExMrB hit me up if your looking to get back on at kooringal.

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

#12 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14335 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

'Slickness' is relative - as are scores. IIRC, you pipped me by 1 point at Gardiners, which makes you 'Xtra slick'.

LoL.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#13 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

ExMrB hit me up if your looking to get back on at kooringal.

Would absolutely LOVE to !!

It's been 20+ years since I've played there.  Drive past it every now and then and reminisce.

• Hat_Trick likes this

GolfLink

#14 ExMrBlonde

ExMrBlonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:46 PM

9 holes at Sanctuary Lakes this evening in the Thursday night comp.
Happy with the 19 point output after a disasterous outing at Huntingdale on Monday.
Couldn’t hit a fairway on Monday (4/14)
Hit 5 GIR with most approach shots ending up short and pushed right.

Tried to focus on just getting the ball into play off the tee, which is usually my strength. As the confidence grew, so did the power - to a point that I was putting regular swings in over the last few holes.

Approach shots (as defined by ARCCOS) still my major weakness, and will be my area of focus going forward. 4/9 today with missed greens from 141, 133, 103, 102 & 109m. The most frustrating thing is that the last 3 were all thin misshits with my 52 deg.

A bit of a break now until Tombstone on Friday next week. Will get a range session in focussing on 7 iron through to the wedges and pray to god the driver doesn’t abandon me, as I’ll need every bit of it from the 6,489m tips.

GolfLink

#15 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11143 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Is that down at The Dunes?
Always wanted to play it off the tips
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users