22 replies to this topic

#1 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

here we go again,juniors on school hols playing together........guess what?........low scores appear again,they are fooling themselves in the long term,who is to blame....kids.... or clubs allowing this to happen..?

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#2 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Are you implying children are incorrectly marking score cards ?
  • BROWNMAN likes this

#3 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

big difference between children and teenagers......no,not implying....im saying it

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23003 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

I am suspicious of a couple of good scores of some young fellows on Sunday.
I'm only guessing they're young by their first names. 47 points off a 33 'cap is quite possible, just a bit unlikely. The other had 42.

No proof, just a suspicion.

#5 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5068 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

Definitively happened at our club. Young bloke left the club because of it. The gm questioned him and he couldnt recall which holes he had birded to shoot 68. He was barely breaking 80 playing with members before that. He played in a Wednesday comp with his mates who were guests.

#6 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12265 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

I've got three similar stories.
One dude shot in the 60's out of nowhere in the first two rounds of club champs. Not bad for a 8 handicap. He got pinged when he signed for a birdie on a hole that someone saw him drown his drive on. He disappeared from the club as quick as he came. He was in his late 30's

Second was at club champs again, known fudger signed for something he didn't shoot, got caught, left the club. He was in his late 40's.

And my favourite, Dad and I were playing a hole that was parallel to another one heading the other way. Young Brian, was getting ready to play his shot from our fairway back across. He took his preferred lie - about a foot to his right. Dad and I loved it, we were about to drive off when we saw him look back to his group. They couldn't see him, so he moved it another foot and half this time, further to his right. He finally hits his shot, with slice and it goes out of bounds right by a few rolls. I think Brian is dead now, he must be or he's well over 100.
  • Madambo, Lukos87 and hack2489 like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#7 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:47 AM

I'd like to give benefit of the doubt to most young guys, Like every thing there will be a few bad eggs through.

A hot streak from some does make sense, they go from playing 1 maybe 2 times a week throughout the year to having 6 weeks free in ideal conditions and just playing nearly every day.
Guy I've been playing with who is a lawyer and has no time for golf, 1 round a month maybe has 5 weeks holiday, started 28 points then 32 and after that 37/40/42/41/41.
A chubby handicap helps that if they can hit a ball far and can start trusting their game.

Well my thoughts at least.
  • Madambo, VLAD, Itchy4Scratch and 1 other like this

#8 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5068 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

I'd like to give benefit of the doubt to most young guys, Like every thing there will be a few bad eggs through.

A hot streak from some does make sense, they go from playing 1 maybe 2 times a week throughout the year to having 6 weeks free in ideal conditions and just playing nearly every day.
Guy I've been playing with who is a lawyer and has no time for golf, 1 round a month maybe has 5 weeks holiday, started 28 points then 32 and after that 37/40/42/41/41.
A chubby handicap helps that if they can hit a ball far and can start trusting their game.

Good point

#9 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

How about gimmes in stroke rounds by long time members in stroke rounds

Our group watched them take gimmes on 5 holes in a medal round. Except for the 18th because its close to the club house, 2 of tbe group 3 putted

We mentioned it to one of the pros who said he would follow it up.
Guess what, they still play togetner every week
  • VLAD and Parmachine like this

#10 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5068 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

Yeah gimmes aren't on in comp rounds. If they don't think they could ever miss a 2 footer then they haven't been playing golf long enough. 

• VLAD and Parmachine like this

#11 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12265 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

maybe they've never had to hit one...

• Francie, Goldy, VLAD and 2 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#12 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Yeah gimmes aren't on in comp rounds. If they don't think they could ever miss a 2 footer then they haven't been playing golf long enough.

Its because they no they cant putt. Not because they reckon the will make the putt.

Point was proven when they 3 putted from 6 feet

#13 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Arnie's Army

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11329 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

But he's a Lawyer.... :D
  • Parmachine likes this

Billionaire Genius Playboy Philanthropist NAGA

2017 VIC ISG OOM Champion

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#14 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5068 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

Its because they no they cant putt. Not because they reckon the will make the putt.

Point was proven when they 3 putted from 6 feet

Should be suspended from the club. 

• RobNewy, Francie and Sprtan52 like this

#15 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

How about gimmes in stroke rounds by long time members in stroke rounds

Our group watched them take gimmes on 5 holes in a medal round. Except for the 18th because its close to the club house, 2 of tbe group 3 putted

We mentioned it to one of the pros who said he would follow it up.
Guess what, they still play togetner every week

Just a thought.

What if you and a few of your mates could put ya names down across different tee slots for a few weeks.

That way, these 'gimme' groups have an outsider in their group for a few weeks and the scores should then reflect their true game.

Then let the club pro, handicapper, and or golf captain have a word to them when their scores magically improve in the following weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users