• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 draualice

draualice

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

I had the pleasure of playing a 9 holer yesterday which played like an 18 as different tee boxes on the back nine made you feel like you were playing a full 18.

Immaculate fairways and true, evenly paced greens made for a fun experience. Got me to thinking, in this age of real estate values and the cost of course maintenance where a lot of smaller member based and social clubs are considering closing; why can't more courses use a better 9 hole design ?

Helensvale on the Gold Coast is a great example of a course that can be rejigged and a lot of cost saving made by only needing to maintain 9 greens and fairways.

The course I played yesterday was Harrington Waters (near Taree). As Molly would say... "Do yourself a favour!"

• Madam, Weetbix, Rsc41 and 1 other like this

#2 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:30 AM

I imagine that the number of players you can get on the course is a factor but that's only gunna cost you at peak times

Will be interesting to see if we do get more 9 holers - and whether even 9 hole rounds become more accepted for competition golf?
  • Madam and Bluethunda like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#3 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

I like to play 18 holes even when I am playing like Weetibix. ThTs it for me 18 or nothing.
  • Weetbix likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41319 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:23 AM

You wish you could play like Weetibix!
  • Bluethunda likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

I imagine that the number of players you can get on the course is a factor but that's only gunna cost you at peak times

Will be interesting to see if we do get more 9 holers - and whether even 9 hole rounds become more accepted for competition golf?

one of Golf Australia's newest initiatives "play 9" http://www.golf.org.au/play9, allowing 9 hole rounds to count towards handicap. Strong indication that is the way its heading. 

• Bluethunda likes this

#6 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

one of Golf Australia's newest initiatives "play 9" http://www.golf.org.au/play9, allowing 9 hole rounds to count towards handicap. Strong indication that is the way its heading.

Absolutely.

Time to play 18 on a regular basis is a luxury when you have pre teenage kids. It's that age bracket clubs struggle to keep as members too.

As for courses designed around 9 holes but different tees, economic supply n demand of land n impact on value will force that issue in the next decade. Declining club membership leading to higher membership fees will see clubs selling off land to stay afloat to avoid total closure.
  • Bluethunda likes this

#7 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5451 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Allowing 9 hole rounds to be used for handicapping undermines the integrity of the system a little bit, imo. Concentrating for a long period of time is part of the challenge of the game.
  • Bluethunda, RobNewy, Mr_C and 2 others like this

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23707 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Allowing 9 hole rounds to be used for handicapping undermines the integrity of the system a little bit, imo. Concentrating for a long period of time is part of the challenge of the game.

You find that concentrating for a few seconds is quite a challenge?

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5451 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Is that what i said?

#10 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1325 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

Big call from the man who can’t concentrate long enough to back his car into the garage
  • RobNewy and Snappy McSnapperton like this

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#11 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12719 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Is that what i said?

and it looks like something else you said can no longer be said ....

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#12 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5451 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

and it looks like something else you said can no longer be said ....

That is interesting

#13 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11660 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:35 AM

Big call from the man who can’t concentrate long enough to back his car into the garage

To be fair, he did have a few frothys.
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#14 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

The Nedlands masters was an Australasian tour event on a 9 hole course with different tees for each nine. Nice course but nothing special. Binningup near Bunbury is a ripper that I played many years ago and Tambo Valley in Gippsland is heaps of fun. I'd rather play a good 9 hole course twice than a bad 18 hole course. But I don't think it's fixing the problem.

Many 18 hole golf courses used to be just over 4000m and a round of golf would take 3 hours to play. The ball travelling further has closed many courses who can't mainatin the land, who can't protect neighbouring houses and turned people off who don't want to be on the course for 5 or 6 hours. 9 hole games are reducing the amount of time spent on the course but the player is now getting less bang for their buck and their time. It used to be 80 or 90 shots in 3 hours but now it is 40-45 shots in 3 hours and a lot more hanging around. The game is more boring then it used to be. I still like playing golf but play much less competitions then I used to and enjoy a social hit much more. I'm not on my own as this trend is recognised in a lot of research papers.

As for the handicapping my understanding is golflink hold the first 9 hole score until a second nine hole score can be matched with it to be handicapped as an 18 hole card. You can have 23 points, win the nine hole comp, and have another crack before you get handicapped. Doesn't seem right.

• Madam likes this

#15 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3513 posts
  • Location40m past you.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

The Nedlands masters was an Australasian tour event on a 9 hole course with different tees for each nine. Nice course but nothing special. Binningup near Bunbury is a ripper that I played many years ago and Tambo Valley in Gippsland is heaps of fun. I'd rather play a good 9 hole course twice than a bad 18 hole course. But I don't think it's fixing the problem.
Many 18 hole golf courses used to be just over 4000m and a round of golf would take 3 hours to play. The ball travelling further has closed many courses who can't mainatin the land, who can't protect neighbouring houses and turned people off who don't want to be on the course for 5 or 6 hours. 9 hole games are reducing the amount of time spent on the course but the player is now getting less bang for their buck and their time. It used to be 80 or 90 shots in 3 hours but now it is 40-45 shots in 3 hours and a lot more hanging around. The game is more boring then it used to be. I still like playing golf but play much less competitions then I used to and enjoy a social hit much more. I'm not on my own as this trend is recognised in a lot of research papers.

As for the handicapping my understanding is golflink hold the first 9 hole score until a second nine hole score can be matched with it to be handicapped as an 18 hole card. You can have 23 points, win the nine hole comp, and have another crack before you get handicapped. Doesn't seem right.

This is such a good post. Knowledgeable, well written, balanced in opinion. Of course it is completely out of place on this forum.

But such a good post. Well done. Definitely had me thinking about the correlation between course length and balata v four piece balls.
  • madness likes this
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users