• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoyboy80

hoyboy80

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have recently joined a new club and a few weeks ago the starter tried to penalize me 2 strokes for not collecting my card from the starters box 10mins before my established Tee time. Even though i Tee'd off exactly on time............... Has anyone ever heard of a ruling like this before? To me it's sound like it's a club rule not a rule of golf therefore should not impact my score

#2 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

I have recently joined a new club and a few weeks ago the starter tried to penalize me 2 strokes for not collecting my card from the starters box 10mins before my established Tee time. Even though i Tee'd off exactly on time............... Has anyone ever heard of a ruling like this before? To me it's sound like it's a club rule not a rule of golf therefore should not impact my score

You are correct - it is not a Rule of golf and therefore must be a club rule.  Club rules must not apply golf penalties (strokes, disqualification) but may apply sanctions at the club, such as not being eligible for the next event.  Sounds like this club needs to conform to what is permitted by club rules.

• pom likes this

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23922 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Name and shame.
Which club is it that won't follow the rules?

#4 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9004 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

I think this is within rules of golf which allows committee power to set the terms of competition which includes method of entry.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23922 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I think this is within rules of golf which allows committee power to set the terms of competition which includes method of entry.

See rogolf's response above.

#6 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

Yes, but they are not permitted to apply golf penalties (strokes, loss of hole, dq) for a breach of conditions which do not involve playing of the game, such as entry requirements.

• pom likes this

#7 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:21 AM

Yes, but they are not permitted to apply golf penalties (strokes, loss of hole, dq) for a breach of conditions which do not involve playing of the game, such as entry requirements.

Here's a Decision which gives guidance:

6-6b/8  Requirement That Score Be Entered into Computer

Q.  May a Committee, as a condition of competition, provide that a competitor must enter his score into a computer?

A.  No. Such a condition would modify Rule 6-6b.

However, while it is not permissible to penalize a player under the Rules of Golf for failing to enter his score into a computer, a Committee may, in order to assist in the administration of the competition, introduce a "club regulation" to this effect and provide disciplinary sanctions (e.g., ineligibility to play in the next club competition(s)) for failure to act in accordance with the regulation.

• madness likes this

#8 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Here's a Decision which gives guidance:

6-6b/8  Requirement That Score Be Entered into Computer

Q.  May a Committee, as a condition of competition, provide that a competitor must enter his score into a computer?

A.  No. Such a condition would modify Rule 6-6b.

However, while it is not permissible to penalize a player under the Rules of Golf for failing to enter his score into a computer, a Committee may, in order to assist in the administration of the competition, introduce a "club regulation" to this effect and provide disciplinary sanctions (e.g., ineligibility to play in the next club competition(s)) for failure to act in accordance with the regulation.

Thank you rogolf.

I've had so many arguments about this. I've never heard anyone say thay joined a golf club because of their wonderful handicapping computer and yet I've seen so many people storm out of the clubhouse because of computer stress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users