#46 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13782 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

What peeves our captain is that former members join back of Bourke courses for sweet FA, and still,play 3-4 times per week in club comps and take money from existing club members. Far enough too. This isn't what the OP point was though.

And they are exactly the type of player that should be charged full green fees as well as the comp fee.  If they don't like that, ask them if it is cheaper to play at Howlong and ban them from playing the course.  Not the bloke that might play  once a month or so, or while they are on holiday.

Edited by Commish, 19 December 2017 - 01:22 PM.

• Patrick Reed likes this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#47 Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17222 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

And they are exactly the type of player that should be charged full green fees as well as the comp fee.  If they don't like that, ask them if it is cheaper to play at Howlong and ban them from playing the course.  Not the bloke that might play  once a month or so, or while they are on holiday.

Retweeted
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#48 Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17222 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Or pull the 5 in 15 rule on them like the other thread

#49 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3041 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

But don't all visiting players pay full green fees anyway?

Doubt any Howlong member, or social golfer would demand a reduced fee at any club.

I thought the only reductions were for reciprocal clubs.

#50 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13782 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

But don't all visiting players pay full green fees anyway?

Doubt any Howlong member, or social golfer would demand a reduced fee at any club.

I thought the only reductions were for reciprocal clubs.

Don't know about the other states, but in NSW if you play in an Open Comp at the vast majority of clubs, you pay a reduced green fee and comp fee.  My club for example.. Members pay a $17 comp fee.  A visiting member pays $25 for comp. Hence we get a lot of guest players when it only costs $8 more than a member to play in the midweek comps.  If they were to pay full green fee and comp fee it would cost them $55.  Same club also enforces the 5 in 20 rule in Open Comp days with visitors who do not comply only being able win the singles event, not the 2BBB event.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.

#51 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13782 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

Or pull the 5 in 15 rule on them like the other thread

Ed Zachary

• Patrick Reed likes this

#52 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23540 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Don't know about the other states, but in NSW if you play in an Open Comp at the vast majority of clubs, you pay a reduced green fee and comp fee.  My club for example.. Members pay a $17 comp fee.  A visiting member pays $25 for comp. Hence we get a lot of guest players when it only costs $8 more than a member to play in the midweek comps.  If they were to pay full green fee and comp fee it would cost them $55.  Same club also enforces the 5 in 20 rule in Open Comp days with visitors who do not comply only being able win the singles event, not the 2BBB event.

Now I understand the problem - open comps.

In Vic, we have reciprocal arrangements between individual clubs. Some are 'full' reciprocal rights, others are 50%.

In West Gippsland, any member of a WG club can play in the comp at any other WG club for just the comp fee. However Sat comps are often reserved for members.

#53 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6571 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

What kind of dumbarse club isn't charging greenfees for visitors? I can understand if they're a members guest, but if you're not taking money off howlong members etc, then you deserve to be taken advantage of.
  • Patrick Reed and madness like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#54 Patrick Reed

Patrick Reed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17222 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

I organised an ISG comp work and charged everyone including club members 20 bucks.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#55 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11861 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

When I finally got the travelling organized I approached my home club & asked if they could do me a reduced membership purely to manage my handicap. I would not be playing more than 1 or 2 rounds there. They would not look at it. they said that they had no membership option that would allow that. So I took out a Howlong membership Then I go back to the home club play 2 Sundays at $20 a go & 2 Wednesdays at comp prices. I would have been happy to throw them a couple of hundred for a special handicap option even though I am much better off with the Howlong deal

• Patrick Reed and madness like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#56 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11861 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

To follow on from above. There are 2 types of golfers signing up for Howlong type deals. There are the ones who are playing limited amounts of golf because of work commitments or because they are travelling around , like myself, who are looking for a cheaper option for membership rather than pay full fees at a club where they will be playing minimal rounds. and there are the ones who are looking for the cheaper option rather than pay full membership at a club & then they return to the original club to play their open competitions .

The first group are basically leaving the club they are at because they are not prepared to make allowances for players that do not have the opportunity to play the course very often.If clubs were prepared to look at options to keep these players on the books the club would gain and the player would gain. If they refuse to. work with this group then players will leave and find a cheaper option like Howlong and if you do the figures and the deals offered by howlong they are making very little out of these cheap memberships.

The second group of players to my mind are the ones that the majority of clubs object to. those looking to get a cheap membership and then cruising round the clubs in their area playing the open  competitions at a cut rate.

This disadvantages the clubs through not getting membership $ and frustrates the existing membership who can see these guys getting to play club competitions cheaper than members can( this after taking membership fees into account )

It appears to me that Golf Australia. and its affiliates and the clubs need to look at ways to encourage the first group who would ultimately end up leaving the sport if they did not have the cheaper option, and in reality after green fees it is not really cheaper if you play a fair few rounds, And finding a way to discourage the second group that wish to play every week but do not wish to pay a club for the privelage of doing so.

The clubs stand to gain by keeping the first group in the game by offering a discounted fee  dependent on the individuals needs .

And find ways to discourage the players that wish to play every week without paying the associated membership costs which ultimately get spent on the courses.

Personally I doubt that many from that second group would leave the game if they were forced to pay their fair share membership wise. if something is not done I can imagine the time where visiting players from anywhere will have to pay full green fees and in all probability not hhave the chance to win any prizes. That will not do anything to promote the game.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users