#16 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23003 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

True, but there are also full members at most clubs who have mediocre rounds most of the year and yet somehow manage to put it all together on MM days and Club Champ days.

I agree entirely, baz. I know some who seem to do that regularly. Not just social club golfers.

#17 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23003 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

I think clubs would be better off trying to sort out ways to convert social players into members.  There are literally thousands of golfers out there that either through lack of time, money or other reasons cannot play more than maybe 20 max games a year.  Asking them to pay joining fees, (not all clubs of course do this) membership, then comp fees is not feasible, so they continue to play social golf, generally with a bunch of mates and those potential members to forward thinking clubs are lost.

When I got back into golf I took up the Howlong remote membership because it was a fantastic deal and allowed my to obtain a handicap, something I had not had for some 20+ years.  I played in comps at various clubs whilst I searched for somewhere I would/could call home as a member.  The stigma attached to being a Howlong member soon reared it's head... NOT through the members I was playing with, but through the pro shop at the alleged direction of the various club boards.  Howlong members are not welcome in the comps.  You can play in the comp but can't win it.  You have to have played at least 5 of your last 20 games at your home club to be able to play in the comp.  Some still charged just the comp fee and a reduced green fee.  Others charged full green fees and the comp fee, even though we could not win the comp.

I and Zoo ended up joining a club that was actually one of the "You can play in the comp as singles but you can't win the 4B comp" clubs.  Why??? because there membership was reasonable, the course was generally in very good nick, the members were pleasant and shared a good time and they offered monthly direct debit payments for membership.  Simples.  Been a member there now for 3 years and the other clubs that were so short sighted we have not played at again.  Others that did not care where you were from still get visits on Open days and happy to part with the $$'s.

Too many old stuffed shirts running things at clubs these days or have the OB thought process of "oh dear, all these social handicap players are only in it for the prizes.  They will only play 10 games a year and then come along to take our $60 club voucher or even worse put a team in the Holden Scramble."  What a load of ****!!!! When was the last time a team of social handicap players won anything in the Scramble.?? 

Almost forgot.  Getting that Howlong handicap allowed me to join in the fun of the ISG Nats and ISG NSW days.  Something I very much look forward to for the camaraderie and friendships that have been forged.  I am sure there are others on here and some that are no longer, may not share the same thoughts about me being on here though.. :P  :D

Clubs need to attract players from all over, not just existing members. Clubs should be inviting visitors and finding ways of getting them to return. Some might become members. Offer flexible membership categories to cater to those with limited time, other interests, etc. If the club is not 'inviting', they'll be reluctant to return.

As for the Scramble, I don't know. But I have read of teams which return each year and do quite well despite having played little during the year, supposedly.

#18 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13641 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Clubs need to attract players from all over, not just existing members. Clubs should be inviting visitors and finding ways of getting them to return. Some might become members. Offer flexible membership categories to cater to those with limited time, other interests, etc. If the club is not 'inviting', they'll be reluctant to return.

As for the Scramble, I don't know. But I have read of teams which return each year and do quite well despite having played little during the year, supposedly.

Players with Golf Australia Affiliate Handicaps..(social handicaps as those being discussed here) can only play in the Scramble if permitted by the hosting course.  

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#19 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Let's face it, there are cheats in both social clubs and among the Members of clubs - it's just human nature.

It's a matter of fact that at my Club we have a 'lucky' player who has won more single honour board events than any other in the Club's history. The Board is just too weak to do anything about him, even though they have the power at their disposal.

I think the US Slope system allows for banning individuals for performing well in open events, and they do. More's the pity we don't introduce it here.

As for moi, I enjoyed a year of Howlong Membership which allowed me to play in comps, and never had one comment or any push back at any time. Also never featured in any of those comps either - so much for Howlong Bushrangers! :)

• Commish, BarnEsy05, Madambo and 4 others like this

#20 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13641 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

Let's face it, there are cheats in both social clubs and among the Members of clubs - it's just human nature.

It's a matter of fact that at my Club we have a 'lucky' player who has won more single honour board events than any other in the Club's history. The Board is just too weak to do anything about him, even though they have the power at their disposal.

I think the US Slope system allows for banning individuals for performing well in open events, and they do. More's the pity we don't introduce it here.

As for moi, I enjoyed a year of Howlong Membership which allowed me to play in comps, and never had one comment or any push back at any time. Also never featured in any of those comps either - so much for Howlong Bushrangers! :)

Amen brother.... Two years as a Howlong member and played an approximate 60 games in that time.  I think I won one 4B comp with Zoo  and a ball in a run down.  There are definitely far more home grown handicap fixers at club level than those of the lifestyle/remote membership type.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#21 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Holing It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30538 posts
  • LocationChopperville

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

I was a member of a Sydney club for 27 years before "life" took over and I wasn't able to play any golf.

I eventually got back into the golf, albeit at a reduced level because of time v cost viability, therefore  I joined Riverside Oaks with a "LIfestyle" membership at a cost I could afford and regain my handicap. There was a stigma attached to this when I (rarely) visited other clubs to have a game. Eventually my favourite course, The Springs, came up with a deal I thought was better value...and it was. This was soon canned so I did the Howlong thing, 3rd year now.

I don't play enough golf...approx 12 games a year, including The Nationals...to warrant spending big bucks (don't have the spare mula either) on full membership at a course nearer to me, but I have no problem paying full freight if the club I visit has an issue with Howlong  "members"...it's still cheaper for me in the long run.

I'm sure there are trophy hunters that do the dirty by being a lifestyle member somewhere, and playing all over the place regularly, their GL history should show that up, so if clubs do their homework they should be able to weed out the dodgy players and allow the genuine time/financial poor players have a go in the comp.

• Commish and Madambo like this

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

5 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee...Got Had a Jacket to Prove It

2012 ISG National Championships...Inaugural Supreme Putting Champion

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO

2017 ISG National Championships...12th place...heading in the right direction

2017 ISG National Championships...Winner The Lakes Satellite Game 43pts

2013 Brass Yacht Winner (Inaugural)

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

2017 Brass Yacht Winner

HOLE IN ONE

2017 ISG NATIONALS ROUND 2 RIVERSIDE OAKS 17TH HOLE BUNGOOL COURSE FIRST SHOT OF THE DAY (SHOTGUN START)

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#22 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18638 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

Can I bring me own cart even if I can’t play in da comp?

Asking for a fri... wanker.
  • BarnEsy05 and Goldy like this

#23 Cats are Farked

Cats are Farked

Only karnts own cats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18638 posts
  • LocationKilling Cats

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:24 PM

Cats are farked.

#24 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with making Howlong etc memberships as unattractive as possible. I think the clubs are trying to avoid the dreaded "what's the point in joining at full freight when I can just join Howlong and still play the comps at course X".

I think they are happy to lose a few of these players in the hope of retaining or attracting members. I think it's a losing battle. Membership financially only makes sense if you play a lot of golf. Too few have the time these days. 

• BarnEsy05 likes this

#25 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

I looked into the "howlong" and other "social club" handicap memberships before joining a local club.

Once I factored in green fees, my usage pattern and likely comp playing, a membership worked out as the better value.

I like playing 9 hole practise rounds after work, so easy walk onto course, no cost rounds with the membership works for me.

Then, social 18 hole rounds with mates only cost me $10 for the cart we share. Mates get discounted green fees. None of us like playing before lunch, so we don't play comp.
  • Madambo likes this

#26 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12664 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

I was a member of a Sydney club for 27 years before "life" took over and I wasn't able to play any golf.

I eventually got back into the golf, albeit at a reduced level because of time v cost viability, therefore  I joined Riverside Oaks with a "LIfestyle" membership at a cost I could afford and regain my handicap. There was a stigma attached to this when I (rarely) visited other clubs to have a game. Eventually my favourite course, The Springs, came up with a deal I thought was better value...and it was. This was soon canned so I did the Howlong thing, 3rd year now.

I don't play enough golf...approx 12 games a year, including The Nationals...to warrant spending big bucks (don't have the spare mula either) on full membership at a course nearer to me, but I have no problem paying full freight if the club I visit has an issue with Howlong  "members"...it's still cheaper for me in the long run.

I'm sure there are trophy hunters that do the dirty by being a lifestyle member somewhere, and playing all over the place regularly, their GL history should show that up, so if clubs do their homework they should be able to weed out the dodgy players and allow the genuine time/financial poor players have a go in the comp.

Sounds like me!;)

• BarnEsy05 likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#27 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Holing It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30538 posts
  • LocationChopperville

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with making Howlong etc memberships as unattractive as possible. I think the clubs are trying to avoid the dreaded "what's the point in joining at full freight when I can just join Howlong and still play the comps at course X".
 I think they are happy to lose a few of these players in the hope of retaining or attracting members. I think it's a losing battle. Membership financially only makes sense if you play a lot of golf. Too few have the time these days.

Me to a T!

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

5 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee...Got Had a Jacket to Prove It

2012 ISG National Championships...Inaugural Supreme Putting Champion

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO

2017 ISG National Championships...12th place...heading in the right direction

2017 ISG National Championships...Winner The Lakes Satellite Game 43pts

2013 Brass Yacht Winner (Inaugural)

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

2017 Brass Yacht Winner

HOLE IN ONE

2017 ISG NATIONALS ROUND 2 RIVERSIDE OAKS 17TH HOLE BUNGOOL COURSE FIRST SHOT OF THE DAY (SHOTGUN START)

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#28 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2814 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

Ah Howlong, the Lichtenstein of golf clubs.

• Madambo, Schmuck and upnin like this

#29 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7273 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

I drive by Howlong a bit, can take pics for members on here :)
  • BumpunRun, Madambo, Francie and 5 others like this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#30 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11750 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

I drive by Howlong a bit, can take pics for members on here :)

I will be driving past myself shortly so no thanks.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users