#1 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

I Just read an email from a golf club I am no longer a member at with a copy of a letter from the Regional association. 

Essentially it said that region wide, a new policy was being introduced where by people with a non golf club handicap (ie Qantas, RACQ, Igolf etc) and people who had played under 3 rounds at their home club (if they did belong to a club) would be able to play in local comps but would no longer eligible for any prizes. This was sighting that most clubs now have a lifestyle membership option. It was also suggesting that non club memberships were "devaluing" Golf clubs. 

Personally I'm not sure if they have strengthened their position or shot themselves in the foot. I am all for lifestyle memberships, but i think anyone that has a handicap, has a handicap to play in comps and at least a portion of that desire for competition will be due to the potential rewards. So now that there is no possibility for rewards will those people simply skip your course and go play somewhere else that does offer the possibility of rewards? 

Curious for other peoples thoughts. 

• Bluethunda likes this

#2 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17325 posts
  • Location#Iamacheat

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

I spose they are only 'protecting' the membership that regularly play by not allowing 'life style members' competing for prizes. I don't believe the numbers will be that large that it will impact on golfer numbers drastically.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#3 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11058 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

Ive seen a lot of comps won by social group golfers Who are usually of 30 or more and play zero comps except there social group days which might be every 8 weeks or so. (Ferrous, im looking at you here!!!)

I think the social groups should do what we do here forour OOM in Melbourne.
We don't go in the club, we run our own and the prizes come from an extra 10 bucks that we all put in

Club still gets the green fees, club members are happy because the bloke or blokette who panced them isn't getting there money

Edited by RobNewy, 14 December 2017 - 05:03 AM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41577 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:12 AM

Doesn't worry me - the prizes are usually very minor. I understand the reasoning but they should offer a discounted entry fee because all they are doing is entering your card into golflink.
  • Tonk likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4489 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

I don't like this.  I understand the frustration, but so long as someone has a valid Golflink handicap, seems peevish to exclude them on the basis that you don't approve of where they hold their membership.  If the club wants to ban all non club members from participating the in the comp, that is one thing, but picking and choosing as to which handicaps you want to recognise is a bit of a farce.

• Goldy, Hat_Trick and AGQ like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#6 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41577 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

We want your money we just don't want to lose to you
  • OldBogey likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#7 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13035 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

I was a member at said newsletter club for 16 or 17 years or so, when kid was coming along the full membership was one of the first things to go. 

Off the back of Howlong's offering, I spoke to the club and asked if they would do something similar. 

They agreed, $99 for the membership which was effectively a GA only one. I had to pay full green and comp fees the 10 or so times I did play on a Saturday that year. This was cool, it meant that I was still playing there, paying full green fees when I did.

That lasted one year, the new committee didn't accept that as an option.

There were no options available to me to play on a Saturday without being a full member, so guess how long it took me to find a membership that worked for me and subsequently, guess how many games I have played at the club since??

This wasn't a spiteful whinge that I should be treated differently to every other single full fee paying member, this was me giving them the opportunity to take the limited money I was able to give away to clubs I chose to. 

They were still able to take a few hundred off me that year, but haven't taken more than $50 since.

It's almost like they won't let me bring my cart to the course.

• *Mouldy, Commish, OldBogey and 6 others like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

I stupidly deleted the deleted the email, so I don't have the details. But I just don't understand how it would work? What are they going to do? Make people play comp fees for the honour of putting a card into golflink? Otherwise you may as well just open up comp spots to social play.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23932 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

It seems that they're trying to stop visiting bandits from cleaning out the comp winnings.

There are people who play all over the countryside, having mediocre scores, until there's something 'worthwhile' on and they then have an amazingly good round.  e.g. Holden Scramble

• RobNewy, Francie and Parmachine like this

#10 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2946 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

I can't see the logic in this. A golf club is a business and they need to make money, if my membership challenged golfing buddies and I can't play comp at a certain course due to their draconian laws then we just move to one that will and they get the 8 x $50 or more plus drinks + food + cart fees + whatever gets purchased from the proshop etc, etc.

• Commish, Weetbix, iRON MiCK and 2 others like this

#11 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

I can't see the logic in this. A golf club is a business and they need to make money, if my membership challenged golfing buddies and I can't play comp at a certain course due to their draconian laws then we just move to one that will and they get the 8 x $50 or more plus drinks + food + cart fees + whatever gets purchased from the proshop etc, etc.

Whoah, settle down mate......settle down :)

Edited by Codboy, 14 December 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• Weetbix likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#12 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2946 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Whoah, settle down mate......settle down :)

Lol, I'm a full member at a club, I have no issue with visitors who have a Howlong hcp or a whatever hcp winning comps. 

#13 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

Yep thats what i was thinking too, if it was me, i would be looking at ways of converting those people who have social club style memberships into a similar membership at the club, then if you can get them coming back often enough maybe they will pull the trigger on the full membership. i just dont think you want to be giving people reasons to not play at your club. 

• OldBogey and VLAD like this

#14 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13967 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

I think clubs would be better off trying to sort out ways to convert social players into members.  There are literally thousands of golfers out there that either through lack of time, money or other reasons cannot play more than maybe 20 max games a year.  Asking them to pay joining fees, (not all clubs of course do this) membership, then comp fees is not feasible, so they continue to play social golf, generally with a bunch of mates and those potential members to forward thinking clubs are lost.

When I got back into golf I took up the Howlong remote membership because it was a fantastic deal and allowed my to obtain a handicap, something I had not had for some 20+ years.  I played in comps at various clubs whilst I searched for somewhere I would/could call home as a member.  The stigma attached to being a Howlong member soon reared it's head... NOT through the members I was playing with, but through the pro shop at the alleged direction of the various club boards.  Howlong members are not welcome in the comps.  You can play in the comp but can't win it.  You have to have played at least 5 of your last 20 games at your home club to be able to play in the comp.  Some still charged just the comp fee and a reduced green fee.  Others charged full green fees and the comp fee, even though we could not win the comp.

I and Zoo ended up joining a club that was actually one of the "You can play in the comp as singles but you can't win the 4B comp" clubs.  Why??? because there membership was reasonable, the course was generally in very good nick, the members were pleasant and shared a good time and they offered monthly direct debit payments for membership.  Simples.  Been a member there now for 3 years and the other clubs that were so short sighted we have not played at again.  Others that did not care where you were from still get visits on Open days and happy to part with the $$'s.

Too many old stuffed shirts running things at clubs these days or have the OB thought process of "oh dear, all these social handicap players are only in it for the prizes.  They will only play 10 games a year and then come along to take our $60 club voucher or even worse put a team in the Holden Scramble."  What a load of ****!!!! When was the last time a team of social handicap players won anything in the Scramble.?? 

Almost forgot.  Getting that Howlong handicap allowed me to join in the fun of the ISG Nats and ISG NSW days.  Something I very much look forward to for the camaraderie and friendships that have been forged.  I am sure there are others on here and some that are no longer, may not share the same thoughts about me being on here though.. :P  :D

Edited by Commish, 15 December 2017 - 06:41 AM.

• chevychase, *Mouldy, BarnEsy05 and 8 others like this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#15 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3080 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

It seems that they're trying to stop visiting bandits from cleaning out the comp winnings.

There are people who play all over the countryside, having mediocre scores, until there's something 'worthwhile' on and they then have an amazingly good round.  e.g. Holden Scramble

True, but there are also full members at most clubs who have mediocre rounds most of the year and yet somehow manage to put it all together on MM days and Club Champ days.

• *Mouldy, RobNewy, Hat_Trick and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users